PDA

View Full Version : Eliza's box with a purpose

ElizaLeahy
6th August 2009, 12:40 PM
Market on Sunday, been thinking of things towards that, not so much of boxes. But this morning came up with a thought.

It's a toy for the office. Sits on the desk looking like a wooden box that no doubt has useful office things in it, like paper clips. Manager susects nothing...

But, as soon as his back is turned, off comes the lid and you take out your executive toy... the spinning top.

Back goes on the lid, you spin it on the lid (hense the lip) so that it doesn't go on the floor and you aren't caught in an undignified possition fishing it out from under the desk.

Oh oh! Is that the boss coming back? Back in the box goes the top - and no one is the wiser!

Box is camphor Laurel - der. Top isn't made yet, that was just a roughy to get the size. Will be matching camphor laurel.

Oh - and that's Gem - because she is cute.

Rum Pig
6th August 2009, 12:56 PM
If you make the rebate the same size as a potpourri insert then when not spinning you could have the insert in and it would look more purpose built:D

Well done good idea:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
6th August 2009, 01:25 PM
Maybe you could have a false lid with a few decoy paper clips in it. :D I like it. Always hard to find stuff to buy for men. :cool::2tsup:

TTIT
6th August 2009, 02:54 PM
Maybe you could have a false lid with a few decoy paper clips in it. :D I like it. Always hard to find stuff to buy for men. :cool::2tsup:
....... or make the lid fit either way up. Small magnet on one side to hold the paper clips :2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
6th August 2009, 03:46 PM
Awesome idea Eliza. Consider it pinched :2tsup:

....... or make the lid fit either way up. Small magnet on one side to hold the paper clips :2tsup::2tsup:

Now that is gold...

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
6th August 2009, 04:27 PM

I'm never any trouble, there's always a new chisel, router bit, lathe, tablesaw etc that I'd like for fathers day etc :D Then there's single malt, wine, cognac etc. then there's ... :U

PS nice box Eliza :2tsup: good idea

Rum Pig
6th August 2009, 04:46 PM
Then you could make the spinning top with a steel pin and it should spin in the one spot and not fall over the edge and out the office door:D

Ozkaban
6th August 2009, 05:16 PM
Then you could make the spinning top with a steel pin and it should spin in the one spot and not fall over the edge and out the office door:D

That's an even better idea! Mind you, part of the fun of spinning tips is watching them wobble all around the place. If it's too stationary it would become a bit boring. I guess a solution to that would be to use a 15 or 20mm round magnet.

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
6th August 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm never any trouble, there's always a new chisel, router bit, lathe, tablesaw etc that I'd like for fathers day etc :D Then there's single malt, wine, cognac etc. then there's ... :U

PS nice box Eliza :2tsup: good idea:rolleyes: Hard to believe I know, but not all men do wood work.:doh: I never know what to get Hubby. He is a musician, but hates anything with music references on it. (way too daggy aparently.) :C Doesn't do any woodwork, or anything useful (except wash the dishes occasionally.:rolleyes: ). I hate xmas. :saddest:

Ozkaban
6th August 2009, 05:45 PM
Doesn't do any woodwork, or anything useful (except wash the dishes occasionally.:rolleyes: ). I hate xmas. :saddest:

Dishwasher perhaps :D:D:D

Or how about a cool little turned box with a spinning top hidden inside? I've seen one around here somewhere! Sounds perfect :D

Cheers,
Dave