PDA

View Full Version : Walking the dog

wheelinround
7th August 2009, 01:38 PM
Taking our Foxie for his afternoon walk a week or so ago LOML came across one of our neighbours Jacaranda tree's in a terrible state having been dissected and torn from limb to root:C.

She ventured to rescue the poor thing .................and add it to our stash of Jacaranda:D.

Love the root ball and the branch trunk bit the best.:U

Ross
7th August 2009, 02:18 PM
Good score Ray.

Ross

Texian
7th August 2009, 03:25 PM
Love the root ball and the branch trunk bit the best.

Might ought to love the lady who bought it home the best. Just a thought.

conwood
7th August 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi wheelinaround,
I scored some next door years ago.. and still using it all the time. I do a lot on inlaying and jacaranda contrasts well with other timbers..also has a nice fine grain and is good to work.

Good score.
cheers
conwood

ps- hope you brought the dog home :U

corbs
7th August 2009, 03:59 PM
Nice score... that three way crotch in the second and third last pictures has potential to make some nice blanks:2tsup:

wheelinround
7th August 2009, 04:18 PM
Might ought to love the lady who bought it home the best. Just a thought.

She is believe me :2tsup: even without wood finds :U

Conwood yes dog came home too

This will bolster the few bits we scored some time ago sitting under my bench

Corb's deciding which way to go and cut and turn it all will be hardest either as natural edge or even shapes. One thing is I am not rushing into it let the wood speak:roll:

conwood
7th August 2009, 04:23 PM
If you give the wood time to dry and talk to it with a beer in hand, it will definitely talk to you. Touching the wood also helps the communication process.

cheers
conwood

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2009, 04:36 PM
I think you have too much wood
I'll drop over and help you out if need be :D

wheelinround
7th August 2009, 04:56 PM
I think you have too much wood
I'll drop over and help you out if need be :D

Nick I just saw a piece, the piece in the 2nd last photo the shorter one jump into another forumites arms. He called in on his way home. So I now have less timber :D and he has more.:2tsup:

I'll let you guess who :U

If you give the wood time to dry and talk to it with a beer in hand, it will definitely talk to you. Touching the wood also helps the communication process.

cheers
conwood

Tea will be my poison conwood it will be touched and stored sealed ends to await its purpose.

Calm
7th August 2009, 06:11 PM
Saw the heading Ray and thought you must be mnaking Yo - Yo's :D:D but no its a great score in wood??:2tsup::2tsup: cant beat the free stuff:2tsup::D

Cheers

Ad de Crom
7th August 2009, 06:23 PM
Hey Ray, good for a lot of turning fun isn't it.
Ad :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
7th August 2009, 08:00 PM
I need someone to cut a jacaranda down...

I know where there is a great one - it's in Enfield guys yard!!!

I know - you are thinking what I'm thinking "What's it still doing standing?"

Maybe if I lean on it, really hard!

So - how long before you can use them?

Pat
7th August 2009, 08:19 PM
Ray, I might have found a piece of Jacka . . . . it jumped into the back of my truck . . .

Ed Reiss
7th August 2009, 09:41 PM
...so much wood, so little time:C

good haul Ray.

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2009, 11:25 PM
Nick I just saw a piece, the piece in the 2nd last photo the shorter one jump into another forumites arms. He called in on his way home. So I now have less timber :D and he has more.:2tsup:

I'll let you guess who :U

I spose the bvgger put a billet in the spokes of one of your back wheels so ya couldn't chase him :o

and I think he's given himself away, without me having to guess :D
did he pinch some planks off ya as well !

wheelinround
8th August 2009, 09:09 AM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Ray, I might have found a piece of Jacka . . . . it jumped into the back of my truck . . .
<!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113043&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1249636727 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113043&d=1249636727)
</fieldset>

Enjoy Pat

I spose the bvgger put a billet in the spokes of one of your back wheels so ya couldn't chase him :o

and I think he's given himself away, without me having to guess :D
did he pinch some planks off ya as well !

:no: He couldn't do that Nick he had a box of fresh home lemon butter & marmalade in his arms.

The rest of the timber is well to say top stuff not off me though good stack/bundle there with some colour & pattern for nice boxes etc. He offered some :rolleyes: I declined :doh::;

munruben
8th August 2009, 01:39 PM
Nice score Ray.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
8th August 2009, 03:19 PM

:no: He couldn't do that Nick he had a box of fresh home lemon butter & marmalade in his arms.

The rest of the timber is well to say top stuff not off me though good stack/bundle there with some colour & pattern for nice boxes etc. He offered some :rolleyes: I declined :doh::;

Home made lemon butter and marmalade - give away almost everything for those sort of offerings :U

You declined, weak moment I suppose

Pat
8th August 2009, 03:57 PM
Nick, to make matters worse for Ray, I have unpacked the pack . . . 1/2 lengths of Walnut from 580*150*25 to 1000*150*25, Silky Oak 565*150*35 - 1100*200*35, including a very pale plank. Also there is so Tassie Oak (Eucalyptus mixalot) and some "been a tree" :U plus the Jacky :q

One of the planks in 50mm thick . . . depending on the needs and wishes of the the management . . . some turning blanks may appear . . .

The Lemon Butter is nice and Tart and the Ginger Marmalade is smooth. Sue gave me enough to last a while.

Bugger it I'll go and write down all the details and really give you the :q :U

Ok 22 sticks, including 9 Walnut, 8 Silky Oak, 4 Tassie Oak and 1 Been A Tree. I maybe wrong on some of the id's but still am a happy camper.

wheelinround
8th August 2009, 06:57 PM
Nick, to make matters worse for Ray, I have unpacked the pack . . . 1/2 lengths of Walnut from 580*150*25 to 1000*150*25, Silky Oak 565*150*35 - 1100*200*35, including a very pale plank. Also there is so Tassie Oak (Eucalyptus mixalot) and some "been a tree" :U plus the Jacky :q

One of the planks in 50mm thick . . . depending on the needs and wishes of the the management . . . some turning blanks may appear . . .

The Lemon Butter is nice and Tart and the Ginger Marmalade is smooth. Sue gave me enough to last a while.

Bugger it I'll go and write down all the details and really give you the :q :U

Ok 22 sticks, including 9 Walnut, 8 Silky Oak, 4 Tassie Oak and 1 Been A Tree. I maybe wrong on some of the id's but still am a happy camper.

I should of said yes :doh:

Nick is that you'll give anything for fresh home made lemon butter n ginger marmalade I'll take the Nova lathe thanks :U

Pat
8th August 2009, 09:38 PM

Nick is that you'll give anything for fresh home made lemon butter n ginger marmalade I'll take the Nova lathe thanks :U

That sounds like a fair trade:q

Sawdust Maker
8th August 2009, 10:46 PM

Ho ho
nice try
but I've a jar of delicious cumquat and mandarin marmalade to swap far a small vicmarc :o
any takers? (could possibly go to two jars)

artme
10th August 2009, 07:36 AM
Good score Ray, nothing like the odd freebie or three.:2tsup:

Scored myself aload of the stuff at the tip one day. Kindly kiwis put iut straight from their trailer into mine. Technically I wasn´t scavenging.:rolleyes::D:D

wheelinround
17th August 2009, 06:08 PM
All cut and waxed to managabel and storable sizes :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
17th August 2009, 10:47 PM
All cut and waxed to managabel and storable sizes :2tsup:

Nice :2tsup:

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 10:38 AM
Nice haul Wheelin. Now the waiting game starts...

I'm in the middle of building a shed and there's a nice thick Jacaranda branch that's just gotta go. It's about 8" round and several metres long. In the process of sorting out the lack of bandsaw issue first though :D

Cheers,
Dave

Paul39
20th August 2009, 02:20 AM
Dave,

Cut to length with whatever you use to cut the limb off and split in half with steel wedges. ( Assuming this timber will split.)

Texian
20th August 2009, 03:56 AM
Wheelin,
What kind is the yellow wood? It looks a lot like our Osage Orange.

Ozkaban
20th August 2009, 08:45 AM
Dave,

Cut to length with whatever you use to cut the limb off and split in half with steel wedges. ( Assuming this timber will split.)

Good idea - Jacaranda has a fairly straight grain and I imagine it will split well. (though I'm picking up a bandsaw today :;)

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
20th August 2009, 10:58 AM
Wheelin,
What kind is the yellow wood? It looks a lot like our Osage Orange.

Yellow wood :? if you mean that which is stacked up on the tressel its al Jacaranda with waxed ends after being cut

wheelinround
20th August 2009, 10:59 AM
Good idea - Jacaranda has a fairly straight grain and I imagine it will split well. (though I'm picking up a bandsaw today :;)

Cheers,
Dave

BS at last eh Dave ..........I wish then again Fathers Day is coming what you reckon my chances are of the family buying me a new Scheppach :U