PDA

View Full Version : Soft jaws for scroll chuck

dai sensei
7th August 2009, 09:08 PM
Ok, you guys and gals are having a bawl making heaps of boxes, and doing really well I might add :2tsup:, but I can't turn anything bigger than a pen for a while yet due to my op :((

So, here is my input, a helpfull hint I hope :-.

Some of you are making jam chucks, that work really well, but here is what I use that I find a bit easier. I convert my scroll chuck to soft jaws. In my case with shark jaws, but this will work on most jaws. I got a small length of electrical cord (three strand) and stripped out the wires. Then I simply cut it to length to suit the jaws and split them down one side. Then just simply put them on the jaws, with either a flat on the inside whilst gripping the outside of your box (shown), or flat on the outside when gripping the inside of your box. Hope this makes sense. They hold there on there own without glue.

These work well on not just boxes, but pepper grinders, small bowls, handles etc. Just make sure you only use nip-up pressure on the chuck, to avoid splitting your box, especially when grippung the inside.

Sorry for not commenting on all your individual boxes, there have been too many to keep up with :U

Cheers

tea lady
7th August 2009, 10:30 PM
:pi: :cool: Does the diameter still need to be reasonably close to the jaw's diam? :? (:hmm: wonder if there is any of that kicking round some where. )

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2009, 10:57 PM
ripper idea, thanks :2tsup:

dai sensei
7th August 2009, 11:02 PM
:pi: :cool: Does the diameter still need to be reasonably close to the jaw's diam? :? .

Not really, but closer is better, as it distributes the pressure better

tea lady
7th August 2009, 11:08 PM
Not really, but closer is better, as it distributes the pressure bettercool! Thanks. I'll give it a go. :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
8th August 2009, 11:53 AM
Thank you! I've been using rubber bands, but on soft material like jacaranda and red cedar it can still mark.

Now I have another excuse to go to bunning. What a shame

:D

tea lady
8th August 2009, 06:11 PM
Thank you! I've been using rubber bands, but on soft material like jacaranda and red cedar it can still mark.

Now I have another excuse to go to bunning. What a shame

:D:think: Will they sell cable in 6 inch lengths? :D

Evan Pavlidis
10th August 2009, 06:57 AM
You can also use thin strip of fabric/carpet protectors that are used under furniture to not marr timber flooring. It is quite thick and has an adhesive side to stick to the jaws. The big B sells it.

Cheers, Evan :)

Ozkaban
17th August 2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, you guys and gals are having a bawl making heaps of boxes, and doing really well I might add :2tsup:, but I can't turn anything bigger than a pen for a while yet due to my op :((

So, here is my input, a helpfull hint I hope :-.

Some of you are making jam chucks, that work really well, but here is what I use that I find a bit easier. I convert my scroll chuck to soft jaws. In my case with shark jaws, but this will work on most jaws. I got a small length of electrical cord (three strand) and stripped out the wires. Then I simply cut it to length to suit the jaws and split them down one side. Then just simply put them on the jaws, with either a flat on the inside whilst gripping the outside of your box (shown), or flat on the outside when gripping the inside of your box. Hope this makes sense. They hold there on there own without glue.

These work well on not just boxes, but pepper grinders, small bowls, handles etc. Just make sure you only use nip-up pressure on the chuck, to avoid splitting your box, especially when grippung the inside.

Sorry for not commenting on all your individual boxes, there have been too many to keep up with :U

Cheers

Neat idea - will give this a go.

You can also use thin strip of fabric/carpet protectors that are used under furniture to not marr timber flooring. It is quite thick and has an adhesive side to stick to the jaws. The big B sells it.

Cheers, Evan :)

Another cool idea. i have some of this lying around somewhere. I bought it to put on some bit of furniture but never got around to it. I wonder if SWMBO will notice :think:

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
17th August 2009, 02:28 PM
I checked Bunnings for the cable, they didn't have anything big enough in the electrical section - was I looking in the wrong place?

Ozkaban
17th August 2009, 02:35 PM
I checked Bunnings for the cable, they didn't have anything big enough in the electrical section - was I looking in the wrong place?

probably :doh:

Seriously though - I'm surprised the Big B doesn't have triple core flat cable... Or is it more of an electrical wholesaler type item? Is there a JR Turks or similar near you? They would definitely have it.

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
17th August 2009, 06:20 PM
I checked Bunnings for the cable, they didn't have anything big enough in the electrical section - was I looking in the wrong place?We might have to sidle uyp to an electrician in a shopping center car park.:D See if he has any off cuts.

ElizaLeahy
17th August 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't sidle. I don't think I sidle.

What's sidle?

:D

Anyway, I only chat up strange men in woodworking forums!!!! LOL

:B

dai sensei
17th August 2009, 06:59 PM
Bunnings used to sellit by the meter :?

I'm sure a couple of gals should be able to con a sparky out of a bit of cable :rolleyes::U

If not, look for your nearest building site, there is nearly always some in the skip bins.

Les Brindley
17th August 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Eliza

You should be able to get what you want at most building sites from the skip or working electrician. By the way 'sidle' means to ease up to someone.

Les

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 07:54 PM
:yes: It is scrap, after all. Which is why it's so convenient... for most of us.

But if you have to go out of your way to actually find some, then you may be better off looking for alternatives. Such as rubber hose, or getting some neoprene jaws made up.

:think: You have a Teknatool chuck, don't you Eliza?

ElizaLeahy
17th August 2009, 08:10 PM
Dave at logon (woodworking supplies) sold me a nova look alike.

I think?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 08:31 PM
OK. I've some old chopping boards I've been meaning to cut up and make into a few sets of soft jaws for myself and I may as well make one or two extra sets while I'm at it. So long as your chuck will take Teknatool jaws. (I don't have a Vicmarc to use as a pattern. :;)

Don't hold your breath over 'em; for the last week I haven't had the time to do any turning, let alone making accessories, but it's a project I've been meaning to get around to for some time now...

ElizaLeahy
17th August 2009, 08:52 PM
Not sure what the chopping board would do? But please don't bother for me, I'll get some of the cable from somewhere, I only looked quickly once, in Bunnings and I didn't ask. I'll find it, honest.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 09:54 PM
:)

You know the plastic white neoprene chopping boards?

Jaws made from those are good for touch-up work & small items such as box lids, 'cos they don't mark the wood as easily. And they can be made to whatever shape or size you want.

They don't hold larger pieces as well as metal jaws, of course, but that's not what they're for. :U

Calm
17th August 2009, 09:58 PM
OK. I've some old chopping boards I've been meaning to cut up and make into a few sets of soft jaws for myself and I may as well make one or two extra sets while I'm at it. So long as your chuck will take Teknatool jaws. (I don't have a Vicmarc to use as a pattern. :;)

Don't hold your breath over 'em; for the last week I haven't had the time to do any turning, let alone making accessories, but it's a project I've been meaning to get around to for some time now...

Skew that was July (round tuit month) so you will have to wait until next year now:doh::doh:

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 11:10 PM
I keep missing July for some reason. It seems to go rom New Years Day straight to "X shoping days until Xmas." :~ Where do all those in-between months go?

dai sensei
18th August 2009, 08:00 PM
I have some cutting board type jaws, but find they can still mark timber. They are not as soft and forgiving as the rubber, especially on softwoods like cedar.

Any rubber would do, but I find the electrical cord actually stays on the jaws while I position the piece, essential for me :U

tea lady
18th August 2009, 08:19 PM
:)

You know the plastic white neoprene chopping boards?

Jaws made from those are good for touch-up work & small items such as box lids, 'cos they don't mark the wood as easily. And they can be made to whatever shape or size you want.

They don't hold larger pieces as well as metal jaws, of course, but that's not what they're for. :UDo you reckon you could do a WIP on making these so called soft jaws? And how they are used? I would like to see. :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2009, 08:34 PM
I have some cutting board type jaws, but find they can still mark timber. They are not as soft and forgiving as the rubber, especially on softwoods like cedar.

Agreed. But they work well for holding small items, such as lids, which you've already finished and want to just "touch up." :)

Do you reckon you could do a WIP on making these so called soft jaws? And how they are used? I would like to see. :U

S'pose so. I'll just be using my std. jaws as a template for the base, then gluing on extra bits to make up the thickness for the jaws. Then turning to shape. It's simple enough. Really.

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Is it anything like these ones?
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146803&product_id=1107456668

For $22, they're not bad - a chopping board is nearly $10 depending on where you find 'em and this one is nice and thick...

Cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2009, 08:50 PM
Is it anything like these ones?
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146803&product_id=1107456668

Close enough for all intents & purposes.

For $22, they're not bad - a chopping board is nearly $10 depending on where you find 'em and this one is nice and thick...

And only for Vicmarc. :; Mind you, the boards can be sourced from a $2 shop - mine cost $2 ea, oddly enough - and you can get more than one set of jaws per board.

I guess it all depends on how short your arms & deep your pockets are... :B

Sawdust Maker
18th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Eliza
your best bet might be to ask a friendly electrician whether he (or she) has a spare 6" or 1 foot of flex or even a tad more.
then all you have to do is slice it down one side and remove the three wires - keep them as they come in handy for tying things up

PS or if there is a new house or renovation in the area check out the skip bins as there is likely to be short lengths in it.

rodent
18th August 2009, 10:34 PM

And only for Vicmarc. :; Mind you, the boards can be sourced from a $2 shop - mine cost $2 ea, oddly enough - and you can get more than one set of jaws per board.

Skew Jim has the soft jaws for the nova chucks to PS ( that's what the internet is for :doh:) 25$ is the price by Jim .:o

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 10:40 PM
would you believe I just caught on that you are talking about the white plasticy type cutting boards?

I have a wooden one, and I was stumped as to what you were going to do with it!

lol

I'm a twit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2009, 01:02 AM
:U:doh:

rodent
19th August 2009, 03:02 AM
:U:doh:
Do we have one of though's little smile faced guys hitting him self in the head with a board.:oo:

Sawdust Maker
19th August 2009, 10:13 AM
Do we have one of though's little smile faced guys hitting him self in the head with a board.:oo:

what, a cutting board :D

:club:

Ozkaban
19th August 2009, 11:14 AM

Fair call, on both counts! :2tsup:

I will have a play with this one, I think.

Cheers,
Dave