PDA

View Full Version : New member/1st guitar

Gillydeluxe
8th August 2009, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading up a fair bit over the last few months and finally have registered as a user! Im in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and am currently after wood for the body and neck.

I was originally going to buy a pre made neck for the Les Paul copy i want to make but now i figure i may as well go all out and see how it goes, Even if it sounds horrible on the first attempt it will still be a nice addition to my wall!

I have had all the electronic parts, bridge, tail, heads, etc for a few months and didn't really have time to buy the wood (mainly because i don't know where to get quality wood for the body and neck at a reasonable price or how much i actually need) but since finding myself off work after a motorcycle accident i figure there is no better time then now.

My dad has a lot of wood working tools and combined with all my tools it should be enough to get a guitar completed in 2 or 3 years hahah.

Anyways this is just a quick gday to all of you fellas and ill do a bit of a search now to find out more about where to find the woods required in Melbourne.

Sean

Andrew_B
8th August 2009, 04:10 PM
theres a thread simillar to this by dizza?
they are discussing wood in vic in that thread....

also keep an eye on the market place here on the forum...
but you gotta be quick there....
the old blokes seem to jump on everything good before i can blink lol

im told sometimes local cabinet makers will help you source wood if they like ya... (if you give them a slab...) .lol

actually.... everytime iv searched for wood suppliers online.... they all seem to be in bloody victoria and qld :doh:

oh and welcome to the forum...
i expect this thread to document the build :wink:

woodturner777
8th August 2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Sean,
Check out Mattews timbers in Melbourne, thats where a few of the guys in the forum go. Cheers Bob

Hey guys, I have been reading up a fair bit over the last few months and finally have registered as a user! Im in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and am currently after wood for the body and neck.

I was originally going to buy a pre made neck for the Les Paul copy i want to make but now i figure i may as well go all out and see how it goes, Even if it sounds horrible on the first attempt it will still be a nice addition to my wall!

I have had all the electronic parts, bridge, tail, heads, etc for a few months and didn't really have time to buy the wood (mainly because i don't know where to get quality wood for the body and neck at a reasonable price or how much i actually need) but since finding myself off work after a motorcycle accident i figure there is no better time then now.

My dad has a lot of wood working tools and combined with all my tools it should be enough to get a guitar completed in 2 or 3 years hahah.

Anyways this is just a quick gday to all of you fellas and ill do a bit of a search now to find out more about where to find the woods required in Melbourne.

Sean