PDA

View Full Version : Who has a planer and thicknesser at home

Arry
8th August 2009, 11:07 PM
Still haven't bought one yet, interested to see who uses one at home?

rick_rine
8th August 2009, 11:14 PM
I have both. Bought them 15 years ago when I was building my house. Paid for themselves amny times over but now they are just gathering dust, well, not the thicknesser. It does still get used.

watson
8th August 2009, 11:22 PM
I have a thicknesser that gets used every project.

Waldo
8th August 2009, 11:35 PM
:whs: I'd be lost without it.

cadeuceus
9th August 2009, 12:02 AM
I have one and although I think that its great, i have put it up for sale on the tool section of the market place. PM if you are interested. Thanks Gavin

meuls69
9th August 2009, 09:36 AM
I have a woodfast combo from carba tec, it is great takes up little room easy to change from one to other, and can run short pieces (250mm I think) . hardwood, softwood loves it all. And it is heaps cheaper to dress your own timber:-) peac out.

justinmcf
9th August 2009, 09:48 AM
i have both and i use them every day of the week, a jointer would be next on my wish list. a shelix cutter head would also be very nice. how much do think i will get if i sell a kidney on ebay?

regards, justin.

echnidna
9th August 2009, 04:26 PM
I have both,
I use the thicknesser a lot,
its years since I used the jointer as its so easy to joint with a saw and the thicknesser.

rrobor
9th August 2009, 08:32 PM
I have a jointer and I have a thicknesser so do I vote twice. And yes my hobby is furniture out of redgum. All done by me except rough cutting. I have $500 worth in the shed now quietly drying strapped in a drying frame since the last day of summer.

Stringy
9th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Use both equally! I use recycled timber and joint 2 sides square, then thickness. Combination machine/350mm/5hp jointer thicknesser.

michael polson
9th August 2009, 09:42 PM
ypu bought a 20 inch leda thicknesser and its a godsend , also got a crappy 6 inch jointer that you have to beat with a runner mallet to set but it gets the job done. looking at upgrading to an 8 inch for the extra length when trying to true a piece of stock up

Al B
9th August 2009, 10:01 PM
I have and use both the jointer and thicknesser, :2tsup:

BobR
9th August 2009, 10:09 PM
I have a combo unit and would be lost without it.

Jethrow
9th August 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi
I have both, My 20" Thicknesser has a baby brother 13" and I use both of then often. I also have an 8" jointer that gets a reasonable workout.

Arry
9th August 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys, I almost bought the Woodfast Combo today, was that close :-)

Wood Borer
10th August 2009, 01:36 AM
I have a combo and use it every day.

Hand planing and thicknessing is another way of doing the same task and although it takes longer, it is possible and the results are just as good.

Those who don't know how to use a handplane will tell you doing it this way is inconvenient, archaic, neanderthal etc etc etc but it is an option if space, noise and your budget are limiting factors.

snapman007
10th August 2009, 03:16 PM
I've got an 8" long bed jointer & a 15" industrial thicknesser, both Carbatec.

rat52
10th August 2009, 03:55 PM
I have had the leda 8" combo for 4 yrs.

Run a heap of recycled timber over and thru it (checking for nails first) and it hasn't missed a beat. More than paid for itself.:2tsup:

GraemeCook
10th August 2009, 04:16 PM
I have a thicknesser but not a jointer.

Perhaps the pol would have been a little more informative if the question was:

(Tick one box only) Do you have -

Jointer
Thicknesser
Both (Separate jointer and thicknesser)
Combo thicknesser/jointer
Neither

So many options. What about a combo that also includes a table saw and/or spindle molder and/or mortiser?

Cheers

Graeme

Waldo
10th August 2009, 04:20 PM
:aro-u:

Very good point. Planer and thicknesser to me are the same. (at least the Yanks call them the same :think: ) I have both, but it's not a combo.

A machine for jointing boards, I call a jointer. Others go by buzzer, some planer too - it all gets :? at times. (maybe I'm tripping out on the music I'm listening to right now :shrug: )

watson
10th August 2009, 05:19 PM
Your too young for Pink Floyd Waldo............but it's a very valid point about the questions asked.

(I have become incredibly dumb).

Waldo
10th August 2009, 05:22 PM
Your too young for Pink Floyd Waldo

:no: :no: never.

I've been thinking about sheep and pigs on the wing all day, so you'd better run!

Cliff Rogers
10th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Your too young for Pink Floyd Waldo.............
He has the entire collection. :D

watson
10th August 2009, 06:42 PM
:rotfl:

I'd better bugger off or we'll be accused of off topic drivel:doh:

Waldo
10th August 2009, 08:18 PM
He has the entire collection. :D

:yes: I do. :2tsup: so :q

GraemeCook
10th August 2009, 09:25 PM
:aro-u:

Very good point. Planer and thicknesser to me are the same. (at least the Yanks call them the same :think: ) I have both, but it's not a combo.

A machine for jointing boards, I call a jointer. Others go by buzzer, some planer too - it all gets :? at times. (maybe I'm tripping out on the music I'm listening to right now :shrug: )

... or is a jointer someone that rolls joints ???

paul k
10th August 2009, 10:14 PM
Now i know why we have so many great minds within this forum , i think :rolleyes:
20 '' thickneser use it all the time .

paul ,k

robyn2839
10th August 2009, 10:49 PM
couldn't imagine life without both..bob

IanW
11th August 2009, 10:32 AM
May as well add my vote - you can get by without them, but it's a lot less fun!
Have had a Hitachi 12" thicknesser/6" jointer side by side for years & recently replaced it with the Woodfast 310mm over/under or combo, or whatever you want to call it. Not the same quality as the Hitachi, but it does the job well enough. Being able to flatten & thickness the same width is a boon - and at least I can get parts for it (for now!)

Cheers,

Wongo
11th August 2009, 10:46 AM
a jointer would be next on my wish list. a shelix cutter head would also be very nice. how much do think i will get if i sell a kidney on ebay?

regards, justin.

Sell both so you can get a decent tablesaw too. :U

I have a 2hp jointer and a 3hp thicknesser. Have yet to build something without using them.:;

rrich
11th August 2009, 02:23 PM
Using your terminology, a thicknesser is used to make a board thinner with two parallel sides. (Normally called planer here.)

A planer is used to square timber. (Normally called a jointer here.)

I have both, although I didn't vote that way due to misunderstanding the usage in Australia of the two terms.

The jointer gets used every time I purchase rough cut stock.

The thicknesser is used to reduce the timber to the required thickness.

When thinking about a combination machine there are some, perhaps not obvious, considerations.

A combination machine is heavy and will be difficult to move, regardless of the method used.

A combination machine will have a wider planer cut than the typical planer. However the bed length of a planer is probably more important than the width of cut. Consider how often are you going to be working with rough timber wider than 200 mm. Probably it would be easier to cut the timber to a rough width before running it through the planer.

With a combination machine, the working length of the timber is about the length of the machine bed. Yes you can work with longer timber but it is a difficult operation.

From what I've seen, the cost of two separate machines can be significantly less than than a combo machine. AND you are more likely to find used equipment as separate machines saving in acquisition costs.

BTW - When using a thicknesser, try to feed the timber through the machine on an angle so that the full width of the knives is used for narrow timber. This will save sharpening or knife replacement costs.

TP1
11th August 2009, 02:38 PM

From what I've seen, the cost of two separate machines can be significantly less than than a combo machine. AND you are more likely to find used equipment as separate machines saving in acquisition costs.

In Australia I think the position is not necessarily the same. I bought a combo machine with 10" capacity. It was very little extra than a stand alone 8" jointer from the same company and much cheaper than separates.

My main reason for a combo was the restricted space in my workshop, but I have been very happy with the results. I do know what you mean about the bed length though, a longer bed would be very handy at times.

One disadvantage not often factored into the separate vs Combo decision is that the same blades on the combo are used for both operations and will wear out quicker than those on separates ( assuming the blade material is the same). This is where combo machines like Hammer are cool with their simple blade replacement and self aligning system.

munruben
11th August 2009, 03:44 PM
I have a thicknesser but not a jointer but am thinking of buying one. I do my jointing at the moment with the TS or the BS. Would still like a jointer though

rrich
11th August 2009, 05:46 PM
My main reason for a combo was the restricted space in my workshop, but I have been very happy with the results. I do know what you mean about the bed length though, a longer bed would be very handy at times.

Actually, you have the best reason for buying any combination machine.

I am surprised about the price issue. Is the brand an international one? It sounds like you have found a really good deal.