PDA

View Full Version : TTIT's shot

TTIT
10th August 2009, 02:33 PM
I wasn't going to post this until I finished because of the extreme likelihood that it will all go to s#!t but as TL said, it's about challenging ourselves and showing how we overcame obstacles regardless of the outcome. I don't know if this will work aesthetically, but I came up with the idea because it would challenge me at several levels with things I haven't tried before...
(a) Accuracy
(b) Following templates
(c) Accuracy
(d) Lattice work
(e) more accuracy:no:

So much happening my end at the moment I don't know if I'll get it finished but this is what I've done so far.

1. 2 chunks of Scrub Leopardwood 100x99x50 (like I said, I'm not good with accuracy:;) Chosen because it is the densest, light coloured timber I have and I reckon it needs to be light coloured to show the detail I'm planning.

2. The templates - cut from hi-tech cereal boxes using my home-grown 'circle-knife'.

3. Chucked. Was originally going to mount the blanks on a faceplate but the big
dovetail jaws on the Vermec just opened up enough soooo...

4. First half hollowed - shocked myself by getting it so close to the template!!!

5. Dodgie eyesight and a shaky hand made marking out the grooves a bit iffy so I made this little gauge out of Laminex. It checks the sizing of the groove I'm cutting (2x2mm) and gives me the starting point of the next groove (the little black line).

6. That's the easy bit done.:U

Waldo
10th August 2009, 02:40 PM
:2tsup: I like the start of this one.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th August 2009, 03:00 PM
Templates? Laminex? Accuracy?

This doesn't sound like an exercise in turning at all! It sounds like you've taken all the fun, the excitement, the "Oh God! I hope it doesn't hit me in the head when I poke it with this pointy stick!" out of it. :~

Actually, I'm intrigued. :U

ElizaLeahy
10th August 2009, 03:49 PM
Interesting!!!

Sawdust Maker
10th August 2009, 04:48 PM
Yep I agree, "interesting"

and BTW I like your trammel points :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
10th August 2009, 09:06 PM
yep, it's those high-tech cereal boxes that make all the difference :;

...like the others said "interesting"

tea lady
11th August 2009, 12:30 AM
Oh ! Square.:cool: And lattice? :think: cool. :D Awaiting the next installment.:wave:

Ozkaban
11th August 2009, 09:19 PM
This one is shaping up to very cool...

Watching with interest :oo:

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
11th August 2009, 11:12 PM
Got a little bit more done and started hitting the usual problems...

7. Started the base half. Hit some wonky grain drilling the depth marker which drifted the bit so bad it near broke.
8. Hollowed past the cruddy grain then drilled the depth marker OK.
9. Base hollowed and sanded - no grooves in this part.
10. Chunk of gidgee mounted between centres. Second attempt at making a sleeve to locate the 2 halves of the box. The one I turned last night from Yarran was somehow too green and it shrank overnight from a force-fit to sloppy.:C
11. Sleeve almost parted off.
12. Sleeve in place in the lid. Haven't glued it in to the base yet - going to wait and see if this one shrinks overnight before I commit to it :B

Waldo
12th August 2009, 01:50 PM
I reackon it's beaut just the way it right now. :2tsup: A sort of play of a concave hemisphere to an opposing cube.

TTIT
16th August 2009, 12:34 AM
After a couple of days without getting to this project I discovered things had moved a little - should have known better than to use pieces freshly cut from a half-log. Had to remount both sides and true them up which already blows my 'accuracy' right out the rolla-door :C
13. Glued the sleeve in place and shaped it to suit.
14. My original idea was to hold the 2 pieces together mechanically so I could separate them to check progress but the cheap-a$$ed hose clamps wouldn't apply enough pressure. - Back to the drawing board :C
15. Decided to fore-go being able to check progress and joined the 2 sides with hot-melt - of course it grabbed before they were fully together so I had to nuke it a couple of times to warm it up enough for me to squeeze it up in the vice. Added some arches to allow a better quality hose clamp to get some pressure going (I don't trust hot-melt alone:B)
16. Mounted between centres - none of my marks lined after gluing it together so who knows how this is going to end up :doh:
17. Turned a spigot on the back before anything else in case the Steb-centre gave way - just as well 'cos it did almost straight after :B
18. Remounted in the standard jaws for the rest of the shaping.
19. Kept the tailstock up until the front was roughed down to size.
20. Front side shaped ready for sanding and grooving. It might match the template but I could easily be out of alignment with the inner hollow by over 1mm which will trash the whole idea.

You can see the "Ball in a board" idea emerging now. The 'board' is supposed to be not only the foot of the base and the handle for the lid but also divide the box into 4 sections so the viewer will see that one quarter is untouched, one is only grooved on the outside, one is only grooved on the inside and the last has the lattice effect - - - - - - - - - - if it works out :;:B

Ed Reiss
16th August 2009, 03:41 AM
Neat...here's to it working out for ya' :U

KenW
16th August 2009, 07:10 PM
It looks like you are going along just fine. Templates, accuracy all sounds normal to me.
I am looking forward to seeing the finished design.

TTIT
17th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Broke my big bandsaw blade on the 1st cut so that was the end of my "space-optimization" for the day and back to the 'ball in a board' to see what happens.

21. First groove showed I was off centre but only by about 0.5mm. Just meant going a tad deeper before the lattice opened at the crest. Not as bad as it could have been :shrug:
22. All the grooves cut and the weapon responsible for the damage. Should have made the locating sleeve out of the same timber - didn't realize it would be so obvious on the outside.
23. "Jam" chuck - can't really jam a part sphere but it still had to be a good fit to centre everything properly. Yes - the waste is Red Cedar :o - not gonna use good wood for it :;
24. Putting down some double-sided tape to keep it in the jam chuck. Often wonder if the newbs get the right stuff - wouldn't be much good if you tried to use the thick spongy stuff :no:
25. Bit of duct tape and up with the tailstock for added security while I get the main shaping done.
26. Final shaping done to match the template and ready for sanding (without the duct tape in place)
27. Sanded the flats while it's still stuck together - doesn't quite fit the mental picture of how it was going to look but it's passable :shrug:
28. 30 seconds (too long - ouch!) in the microwave and the hot-melt let go no worries but now HOW THE HELL DO I CLEAN IT OFF :C:~:o. Had a quick shot at it this morning with a scraper and already broke one little 'end' off :C Gotta be an easier way - pleeeease!

tea lady
17th August 2009, 10:39 AM
:wave: t'riffic.:cool:

Ed Reiss
17th August 2009, 12:22 PM
hmmmm....need to talk with the broker about buying stock in duct tape :roll:

Ozkaban
17th August 2009, 12:25 PM
Wow! That looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 07:24 PM
:think:

You nuked the HMG twice didn't you? Once to push the piece further in, and then again to separate? It sounds as though during one of those times it became runny enough to soak into the end-grain? :C

When I use the stuff I try not to push the pieces up close together, so the HMG is a 0.5mm(ish) layer that easily separates... and the scraps are thick enough to simply peel off the work in one or two strips.

Not much help to you now, though.

Depending on the brand/type of hotmelt glue, there may be a solvent. I think that most are soluble in MEK, cyclohexanone or tetrachloroethylene (sp?), while some are soluble in acetone. Without running out to the shed to check my handbook, the "general purpose" solution I was given (by a shoe mfr.) is 1/3 parts of MEK, acetone & toluene.

A simpler possibility is a paper towel laid over the top, then attack it with a hair-dryer - to wick up as much as possible.

Somehow, I think that the easiest solution would be to call this one a "prototype" and use the lessons learned to make a new, improved version. :;

(Which is exactly what I'm doing with my winged thing. If I can find some spare time! :~)

Sawdust Maker
17th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Talk about setting the bar high - that's terrific :2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
17th August 2009, 10:17 PM
That's amazing!

:)

TTIT
17th August 2009, 11:21 PM
:think:

You nuked the HMG twice didn't you? Once to push the piece further in, and then again to separate? It sounds as though during one of those times it became runny enough to soak into the end-grain? :C

When I use the stuff I try not to push the pieces up close together, so the HMG is a 0.5mm(ish) layer that easily separates... and the scraps are thick enough to simply peel off the work in one or two strips.

Not much help to you now, though. Oh but it gets worse!!!:C When I clamped it up I must have skewed it to buggery and when the glue has released it's grip, everything is seriously out of whack :C:~.

For Sale - 2 barely used Hot-melt glue guns :B

Depending on the brand/type of hotmelt glue, there may be a solvent. I think that most are soluble in MEK, cyclohexanone or tetrachloroethylene (sp?), while some are soluble in acetone. Without running out to the shed to check my handbook, the "general purpose" solution I was given (by a shoe mfr.) is 1/3 parts of MEK, acetone & toluene. MEK????? is ........???

Somehow, I think that the easiest solution would be to call this one a "prototype" and use the lessons learned to make a new, improved version. :;

(Which is exactly what I'm doing with my winged thing. If I can find some spare time! :~)Which is exactly what I'm doing - if I can find the spare time!:U:;

TTIT
17th August 2009, 11:41 PM
After an hour or 2 of picking off hot-melt-bloody-glue I got it to the stage where I could sit the 2 halves together for a look - - - - :o :o:C and bugger me if it hadn't popped sideways about a half mil' or so. You have to really apply a lot of pressure to get it to line up again - :C
Decided I might as well give it a coat of oil and take some pics anyway. The first pic shows how far it moved sideways from squeezing it up in the vice - a lesson learned there!

Other lessons learned....

Accuracy is not my forte'.
Make blocks SQUARE next time.
Stick to the plan - mount on faceplate instead of jaws.
Don't join/locate with a sleeve. Stick to original plan of dowel pins in the ends of the board.
HMG is not my friend.:;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 11:54 PM
I like the way it finished up, just the same. :2tsup:

Oh but it gets worse!!!:C When I clamped it up I must have skewed it to buggery and when the glue has released it's grip, everything is seriously out of whack :C:~

:doh:

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Basically an industrial solvent that's quite a bit safer than acetone. (MEK MSDS) (http://www.illawarrasurf.com/msds/mekp.pdf)

Which is exactly what I'm doing - if I can find the spare time!:U:;

Ah, yes. Time. A rare commodity nowadays. :sigh:

Calm
18th August 2009, 08:46 AM
Vern sometimes your work leaves me in awe of your ability on the lathe.:2tsup::2tsup:

Great stuff and i bet when you have a second go it will be perfect.

The bar is way above my head.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
18th August 2009, 09:21 AM
Vern sometimes your work leaves me in awe of your ability on the lathe.:2tsup::2tsup:

Great stuff and i bet when you have a second go it will be perfect.

The bar is way above my head.

Cheers

I agree with all the above

and I'm gunna go and kick the goal posts down
The only consolation is that he has been at it a week or so longer then me
blvddy work keeps getting in the way of shed time

tea lady
18th August 2009, 10:54 AM
Looks great! I bet the next one will be perfect, now you've ironed out the wooffles in the process.:cool::D

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 11:07 AM
That's amazing! I love the asymetrical look when it's open. Very, Very cool!

Don't care if you reckon it's not perfect. Near enough for me!

Cheers,
Dave

dai sensei
18th August 2009, 07:47 PM
Amazing :2tsup: How do you come up with these ideas :o

..Decided I might as well give it a coat of oil and take some pics anyway...

So does that mean you intended to go further? Or just because your level of acceptance is far above ours :U

Tony Morton
18th August 2009, 10:04 PM
Hi TTIT

Great piece of work and a good comentry, following instructions from manual you dont get the tricks of the particular detail but with members telling of their mistakes and problems we can all learn because Someone make a mistake here we will remember it better.

With the HMG I think it was Brendon Stemp at Turnfest applied glue to both surfaces in a very casual manner and looked like the glue had gone off before attempting to make the join then picked up the hot air gun and heated the glue on both surfaces realy hot then made the bond and as he explained the surfaces are cold to the glue and it sets on the surface before it gets a good hold. Previously I have heated the faceplate a bit to make the glue bond better.

Cheers Tony

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Excuse my french...

That is friggen awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Reiss
19th August 2009, 12:22 PM
....all that spatial displacement has my head spinning:stars:

turned out pretty good TT :2tsup:

Evan Pavlidis
19th August 2009, 05:00 PM
Looks very good TT from all angles. Open to many interpretations thanks to assymetry. Good outcome for a difficult piece on your first attempt if I'm correct it is your first piece.
You're an inspiration, thanks for the detailed WIPs.

Cheers, Evan :)

TTIT
24th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. :U Been off on an unwelcome break and won't be turning for a few days but I will definitely be keeping at this one to get it right. It's really growing on me and I've come up with some ideas while I've been away that might take the guesswork out of it.

............... then picked up the hot air gun and heated the glue on both surfaces realy hot then made the bond and as he explained the surfaces are cold to the glue and it sets on the surface before it gets a good hold............ :doh::doh::doh: So obvious really - - thanks Tony :2tsup:

artme
24th August 2009, 11:39 PM
Great piece Vern.Especially as it is a"prototype". Love the whole design and finished look.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2009, 11:59 PM
Another trick with the HMG is to use the video head out of a scrapped VCR as a spigot.

You can then warm it up on the stove/a frypan before applying glue, the residual heat keeping the glue runny. And to remove the spigot, back in the frypan. :)

wheelinround
25th August 2009, 08:15 AM
Another trick with the HMG is to use the video head out of a scrapped VCR as a spigot.

You can then warm it up on the stove/a frypan before applying glue, the residual heat keeping the glue runny. And to remove the spigot, back in the frypan. :)

:2tsup: I have one Skew you got a pic of using yours just to clarify :roll:

Sorry Vern like the WIP shame about the movement looks good anyway

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2009, 02:00 PM
:2tsup: I have one Skew you got a pic of using yours just to clarify :roll:

First I'd have to find mine. :B

TTIT
27th August 2009, 01:56 PM
Just over a week since I finished the box and I found that my choice of timber is continuing to bite me on the ass:~. On the side that ended up thinnest in order to create the lattice, there was less than 1mm of meat left and a bit of really warm,dry weather has caused enough movement to pop it open. :C
I've worked out a completely different process to produce a better result as soon as I can get back at the lathe. Definition of frustration - can't even open the bloody roll-a-door yet to get in the shed :B

wheelinround
27th August 2009, 02:00 PM
First I'd have to find mine. :B

No worries found mine again :2tsup: think i recall your post on it some time ago.

Vern thats gotta hurt I know recent events of my own x 3

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2009, 05:33 PM
just over a week since i finished the box and i found that my choice of timber is continuing to bite me on the ass:~

Bummer! :C

Ed Reiss
28th August 2009, 12:27 PM
Damn splits will get you every time:doh:

Hobbyhorse
28th August 2009, 06:31 PM
Splits notwithstanding, it certainly is an eye catcher.

Rhys