PDA

View Full Version : Jet 16" or Caraba Tec 17" bandsaw

redgum
10th August 2009, 05:02 PM
I am about to take the plunge and purchase a bandsaw. It will be mainly used for preparing blanks for turning but I want to make sure I get something that will be capable of doing other wood working jobs. The Jet looks to have a better build quality but the Carba Tec is about $300 less and has a greater cutting depth. Has anyone any opinions on these two machines.

Grumpy John
10th August 2009, 05:08 PM
Sorry to throw another option into the mix Redgum but have you checked out Scheppach (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W856) bandsaws. I have the Basato B4 and swear by (not at) it, it is a great m/c. Like you, I use it mainly for cutting turning blanks. However I also have a Jet lathe (1642) and it is a very well made lathe that has never failed me, I don't see why their bandsaws would be any different. Hope this helps.

redgum
10th August 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for teh information I checked the site out and they do look to be a reasonable machine particularly price wise.

dai sensei
10th August 2009, 08:37 PM
I have a JET 16" and it works a treat. The thing that sold me was that its throat wasn't that much smaller than the bigger bandsaws, and it could take a wide range of blade widths - from the very small 3.2mm for bandsaw boxes to the 25mm for the bigger logs.

rsser
11th August 2009, 06:35 PM
Trouble is they're white.

A sod to keep clean.

Mr Brush
11th August 2009, 06:53 PM
The JET 16" bandsaw is my next planned purchase - I'm still getting over the sticker shock of my new JET JPT-310 combo....:oo:

The frame design on these new JET bandsaws is superior to almost anything else out there - they are VERY rigid indeed, far better in fact than the more expensive Hammer 4400 (I've tried a 'flex test' on both). I believe that JET are also bringing out a new 14" Deluxe bandsaw with improved frame design, but they aren't available here yet....

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_outline_index.asp?page_id=35868791

This new JET 14" has a 12" resaw capacity without the need for a riser - note the frame design which you can see on the above link. I might end up going for this machine instead of the 16"....if they ever get to Australia :(

GoGuppy
11th August 2009, 09:02 PM
Redgum, if you can afford a Jet go for it. I'm sure it's a good machine, I have a Carbatec 17" BS and I have not been able to fault it. I have bought an optional 20mm (?) x 1.5tpi quality blade and it rips through anything I throw at it including green turning blanks.

I would buy (and have bought) the Carbatec BS and spend a few of your saved dollars on a quality set of blades. :2tsup: Cheers

NeilS
12th August 2009, 03:54 PM
Can't comment on the Jet, but the local men's shed bought a 17" Carba-tec this year and it did take quite a bit of tuning to get it into good running order (amongst other things, there was twist between the upper and lower wheels as well as not being co-planar). It did come with a 5yr warranty, for what that was worth.

Have a Leda 19" myself and have been satisfied with that.

Whatever you buy, at least get 12" of cutting height if you are going to be cutting bowl blanks.

Neil