PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier/light on articulated arm wanted

scooter
22nd July 2004, 12:29 AM
Gday all

I'm looking for one of these doovers to attach to my scrollsaw.

Bunnings have a cheapy for $37 odd which is pretty good value and the cheapest I have found so far. It has a 4" diameter 3X magnification lens and an incandescent globe (insufficient space for a compact fluoro-sized this up).

Does anyone know anywhere else that sells them (new or secondhand) for a reasonable price? I thought one with a fluoro tube and a bigger lens might be better but depends on the price.

Any input welcome..............cheers..........Sean

bitingmidge
22nd July 2004, 09:55 AM
Carbatec have one for about $140. It is pretty solid looking and appears well made, but probably doesn't qualify as "cheap".

Cheers,

P

stephenmeddings
22nd July 2004, 04:35 PM
places like Beacon Lighting have similair lights/magnifiers as bitingmidge described but I think much the same in price as well. Worth a look though

fxst
22nd July 2004, 05:56 PM
Sean try dick smith or tandy I got the larger fluro on for rounf the $100 mark
definatley the way to go especially for the real intricate stuff

Sturdee
22nd July 2004, 06:19 PM
A few weeks ago I needed some of these type of lamps (without the magnifying lens) to provide task lighting in my finishing shed. I bought three without the magnifying lens and one with the lens from a local op shop for grand sum of $ 20.

They just needed a good clean up. :D

Peter.

Sprog
22nd July 2004, 06:33 PM
Jaycar also sell them, $109 for the desk mounted version and about $150 for the one with a base

Jaycar (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/index.asp)

scooter
26th July 2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks all for the input. BTW Sturdee, those unrefined yanks would say you suck for airing a gloat like that! Half your luck.

I bought the one at Bunnings. On their recommendation I bought a 60W blue coated Philips daylight globe (incandescent) for it. I found it did the job, however I found it really strange and difficult trying to scroll looking through the lens. The globe was excellent, quite white light for an incand.

I imagine you would get used to it, as evidenced by those of you working with them, however I decided to return it and I'll keep an eye out for one at garage sales or op shops.

At this point just a 20W halogen light may do.

Thanks again for taking the time....cheers...........Sean

fxst
26th July 2004, 09:27 PM
youll find the more intricate the item the older the user mutiplied by time available = the magnifier light.
really tho I find it a help now that I have mastered it tho I dont use it when I do compound work or larger puzzles
cheers
Blind Pete :D

Sturdee
27th July 2004, 12:01 AM
BTW Sturdee, those unrefined yanks would say you suck for airing a gloat like that! Half your luck.

No gloat, just my subtle way of showing an alternative and cheaper source of supply, which is often overlooked. :)

I'll keep an eye out for one at garage sales or op shops.

Looks like I succeeded. :D

Peter.

Geoff Sims
27th July 2004, 02:16 AM
Scooter

Try this link.

http://www.altronics.com.au/cat.asp?cat=13&grp=199&sort=code

scooter
28th July 2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks fellas.............cheers..........Sean