PDA

View Full Version : Advice on turning chess pieces

elanjacobs
10th August 2009, 11:20 PM
G'day all,

I'm making a chess set for my final project at TAFE and was wondering whether it's better/easier to turn between centres or in a chuck. Timbers are Rock Maple and American Walnut if that makes a difference

Thanks in advance

Elan

issatree
11th August 2009, 12:46 AM
Hi Elan,
I think you will find it a lot easier with a Chuck, but I think you will need, if it is a
Nova Chuck, either the 35 or 45 mm. Spigot Jaws, will make it a breeze.
If the Chuck is a Vicmarc, I think they call them the Shark Jaws.
Both lots of Jaws, grab the wood so much better than the ordinary 25mm Bowl Jaws.
When Turning this way you wont need the tail Stock, but if you haven't done this type of Turning before, it might pay to use the Tail Stock.
Mike Darlow put out a Book called " Turned Chessman " a couple of years ago. Maybe the Library has one. Good Turning.
Regards,
issatree.

Ed Reiss
11th August 2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Elan, welcome to the woodturning culture.

Either method is fine, but with both you will still want to use a live center in the tailstock for support.

An advantage that using a drive center instead of a chuck is that you have greater access to the left side of the blank.

Good luck with your project, and post some pics if you can :2tsup:

cadeuceus
11th August 2009, 12:08 PM
Hi I have a copy of the book that issatree mentioned and its a great resource of how to turn chessmen.

If you or any member wanted to buy it - I could be convinced to sell it/:)

Thanks Gavin

elanjacobs
11th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I have attatched an image of a similar chuck to what I have available. The lathe we have at work is about 80+ years old and a real beast. The chuck for it is very similar to the pic but with 4 jaws instead of 3.

Elan

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th August 2009, 04:34 PM
A non self-centering job, eh?

Personally I'd prefer to use a chuck with tailstock support while rough shaping, then remove the tailstock to finish the end of the piece.

With one of those chucks I'd seriously recommend completely finishing each piece before dismounting, as they're a headache to properly re-centre the piece if remounting.

It can be done, of course, but it's far easier to work in such a way that you won't have to! :;