PDA

View Full Version : Gidgee box with pearl inlay

tg04se
11th August 2009, 11:48 AM
Recently finished a mandolin and had some spare gidgee from the fretboard (a mandolin's is much smaller than the guitar blank I bought). Having a look through this forum inspired me to try a small box to give my wife for her birthday.
Now somehow I have been tasked with making 2 tea caddies for christmas presents. I think this forum should come with a warning sign, Its kind of addictive. Thanks for all the other posts, they are very interesting and helpful,
Tim

watson
11th August 2009, 01:00 PM
Beaut stuff TG, especially the inlay.

BobR
11th August 2009, 01:11 PM
Love the box. Great work :2tsup:

jow104
11th August 2009, 05:57 PM
Could you make me one? :D I like that very much.

ciscokid
11th August 2009, 08:50 PM
That's very nicely done. I like the overall shape. What finish did you use?

tg04se
11th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Ah, its hard shellac. Very badly done, tempted to sand it all off and start again. Just got a bit impatient and tried applying it a bit to thick. Going to make a couple of tea chests, gidgee with a blackheart sassifras panel in the lid. Any ideas of a finish? Im as amateur as they come, but was thinking oil(never used it) and wax(same). Also, gidgee has a strong scent, dont want it tainting the tea. Any advice very welcome.
Thanks all for looking at the box,
Tim

tg04se
11th August 2009, 09:12 PM
PS jow104, love to but the inlay took SO long!
Think it might give me lung cancer to, pearl dust, no dust extracter...?

jow104
12th August 2009, 06:25 PM
PS jow104, love to but the inlay took SO long!
Think it might give me lung cancer to, pearl dust, no dust extracter...?

OK, understood.
But tell us how you did the inlay and then I could attempt myself.

munruben
12th August 2009, 08:19 PM
Nice work tg. Love the inlay, very nice.:2tsup:

tg04se
12th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Inlay was cut(laboriously) with a jewellers saw and the holes cut with a dremel and a router bit/ base to about 2mm. Glued in with epoxy mixed with sanding dust from the wood, then sanded flat and finished. Not done with any great skill, but a lot of time. Worth a try.

ciscokid
12th August 2009, 10:28 PM
Ah, its hard shellac. ... Any ideas of a finish?

Shellac is a very elegant finish, but one must be patient. Oil and wax blends can be nice as well, but will probably be better for pieces that will not receive much handling and are not suitable for tabletops. Personally, I like shellac. It also has the advantage of being completely food-safe. I've been reading old books by a man named George Frank (recommended to me by a member here on this site). Got them used from Amazon books for under $5. Looking at HVLP systems now and buying pumice and rottenstone. Don't give up on shellac would be my advice. Your work is excellent, don't take shortcuts on the finish.

artme
14th August 2009, 08:22 AM
Super work TG, especially on the inlay.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Pat
14th August 2009, 08:43 AM
Tim, good job. I know about the additions that are "requested", but I look at them as an excuse to buy more tools\timber & shed time. There is positives out there :U

DsArt
14th August 2009, 08:01 PM
good one TG looks great the inlay especially :2tsup:your mandolin must be a beauty as well, how about a peek :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tg04se
16th August 2009, 11:38 PM
If you're interested, mandolin is on the musical instruments forum: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=102523
or just look for 'first mandolin'.
Cheers, Tim