PDA

View Full Version : not directly a turning problem but...

ElizaLeahy
11th August 2009, 07:32 PM
does anyone have an easy solution that I'm missing?

I've bought some little wheels and axels. The axels are about 3mm too long each so that when I put them in the wood, they stick out too far.

I have to trim them.

They are very small and fiddly (6mm dia and about 2.5cm long) and holding them to saw them is sort of not working. I ended up today using a stanley blade to whittle them, but they are hard wood and it took too long each one to make it fesable to do the 60 I have to do.

I have a scroll saw - but holding something that is 2.5cm... no.

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to shorten these without shortening my fingers?

ElizaLeahy
11th August 2009, 07:35 PM
And as soon as I wrote it I realised a possible answer - unless anyone has any better idea?

I have some thinner pine plank. I can drill holes in that, put the axles in, tape along the outside so they don't fall out, and run the pine blank along the scroll saw.

What do you think?

skot
11th August 2009, 07:38 PM
Sharp pair of Secators from the garden shed

eisbaer
11th August 2009, 07:45 PM
bite it! :) seriously your idea sounds good eliza. No bandsaw then i take it?

ElizaLeahy
11th August 2009, 08:00 PM
No, but only 6mm the scroll saw will cope!

dai sensei
11th August 2009, 08:05 PM
Disk sander, if you have access to one
Sandpaper glued to disk in lathe, then hold the axles on your tool rest

kdm
11th August 2009, 08:26 PM
Seeing as it's a turning forum...

Put a bit of wood in your scroll chuck, drill a small hole all the way through and a hole that the axle is a push fit in to the right depth (I think you have a jacobs chuck). Insert axle in hole, part off end, push out with something that will go through the smaller hole.

Ad de Crom
11th August 2009, 08:32 PM
Eliza, it's only 6mm round, and 2,5 cm long, just long enough to hold it with your fingers.
I would use a hand ironsaw (very fine teeth) to cut off the 3mm, using a flat hard surface like a benchvice for support.
Cheers. Ad

Enfield Guy
11th August 2009, 08:35 PM
And as soon as I wrote it I realised a possible answer - unless anyone has any better idea?

I have some thinner pine plank. I can drill holes in that, put the axles in, tape along the outside so they don't fall out, and run the pine blank along the scroll saw.

What do you think?

Yep! That will work.

artme
11th August 2009, 09:14 PM
Leave ém alone and put spiky decorations on the bit that sticks beyond the whell.:rolleyes:

arose62
11th August 2009, 09:55 PM
Hold the excess 3mm in your Triton SuperJaws, and whack the other part with a mallet. Should break off cleanly where you want :D

Cheers,
Andrew

Sawdust Maker
11th August 2009, 09:58 PM
Hold them with a pair of pliers at the scrollsaw

trim them on (or at) your grinder, ie grind the offensive bit off

joe greiner
11th August 2009, 11:18 PM
A couple possibilities:

1. Drill the receiving holes deeper, to accept the longer axles.

2. Chuck the gluing end of the dowel in a drill, and move the running setup along a stationary saw blade. The chuck marks can enhance purchase for gluing.

Cheers,
Joe

Drillit
12th August 2009, 10:14 AM
Yes - certainly a fiddily job. Doing something similar - I agree with Neil. I found 80 grit on disc sander (on lathe) did the trick and quickly on hardwood. Hope that helps - I think the scroll saw option is cumbersome and in any event you may have to sand to finish?. John m.

Ozkaban
12th August 2009, 11:03 AM
You could always make the car/whatever it is 3mm wider :D

What do you think?

I'd do something like that. I made a similar jig for drilling holes into the side of dowel when making a post and rail fence for a doll house. Gives you something to hold/clamp.

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
12th August 2009, 12:16 PM
try your fingernail clippers.

The Bleeder
12th August 2009, 12:39 PM
Sharp chisel, heavy mallet, big wack.....:doh: simple

ElizaLeahy
12th August 2009, 06:39 PM
try your fingernail clippers.

:o

Your fingernails must be REALLY SHARP!!!

Sharp chisel, heavy mallet, big wack.....:doh: simple

Now why didn't I think of that, I like hitting things with hammers :)

Ed Reiss
12th August 2009, 09:55 PM
:o

Your fingernails must be REALLY SHARP!!!

...not my fingernails - the clippers :q:D

ElizaLeahy
13th August 2009, 10:23 PM
doh, I meant "your fingernails must be REALLY TOUGH!"

I used my method of drilling holes in a board, putting the axels through and scroll sawing and it worked well. I now have a jig set ready to go to do more, and I can do 20 at a time.

Now I need to buy more wheels and axels.

:)

nalmo
14th August 2009, 10:44 PM
If your 6mm scroll saw will cope, aren't you using a coping saw?

ElizaLeahy
15th August 2009, 08:58 AM
I don't think so, I only have a scroll saw.

Is a coping saw something else I have to buy?

(oh, ha ha ha to you too.)