PDA

View Full Version : tea lady's Finial fiesta.

Pages : [1] 2

tea lady
11th August 2009, 07:43 PM
So I had this idea to make a box that had finials alll over it a bit like a sea urchin. So I turned the little round box. Drilled lots of holes in a kinda planned kinda random way, so it did not look to machine like. Then I counted the holes. :doh: 48.:rolleyes: Oh well! I guess I'll be good at them by the end. :C:D

The box is in Honduras Mahogany. No finish yet, cos I was wondering what to do. If I apply Shellac at this point can I glue the finials in their holes after? :?

Finials are in spotted gum, which I am staining blue cos the colour was quite variable, and not contrasty enough with the mahogany. Still need to apply more stain to the lighter ones to even up the blueness, then white shellac.:cool: I've done eleven so far. Only 37 to go.:D Turned all the sticks round first between centers, then holding in pin jaws. (Some sticks are really different colours cos I was testing some othe rstain colours. )

echnidna
11th August 2009, 08:33 PM
gunna build a new front fence ?

kdm
11th August 2009, 08:35 PM
To quote Ozkaban -

"I finally understand the 'challenge' element of this box thingy. It's getting through the month with your sanity in place.

Looks like Eliza might be the first to drop :D"

Maybe Tea lady is second :o

tea lady
11th August 2009, 08:48 PM
gunna build a new front fence ?A very short one maybe. The finial bits are only 60 mm long max.:rolleyes:

To quote Ozkaban -

"I finally understand the 'challenge' element of this box thingy. It's getting through the month with your sanity in place.

Looks like Eliza might be the first to drop :D"

Maybe Tea lady is second :o:C Finial dreams.

ElizaLeahy
11th August 2009, 08:58 PM
If you get tired of it buy some tassy oak dowel from Bunnies!!! ;)

So far, so cute!

tea lady
11th August 2009, 09:01 PM
If you get tired of it buy some tassy oak dowel from Bunnies!!! ;)

So far, so cute!:shrug: I got very good at roughing down blanks with the skew.:cool: Now I'm starting to get a really good finish "off the chisel". :D

kdm
11th August 2009, 09:01 PM
And to answer your question, you don't want any finish in the holes or the glue won't take. Problem is, you need to finish the box before you stick the finials in or it will be much harder to get a good finish. Best way would be have pilot holes at this stage, apply finish and then drill out the holes to the final diameter and glue in the finials.

Hope someone comes up with a better answer though.

I'd probably apply finish to the box then clean out the holes with the same drill bit you originally used and glue the finials in.

tea lady
11th August 2009, 09:04 PM
And to answer your question, you don't want any finish in the holes or the glue won't take. Problem is, you need to finish the box before you stick the finials in or it will be much harder to get a good finish. Best way would be have pilot holes at this stage, apply finish and then drill out the holes to the final diameter and glue in the finials.

Hope someone comes up with a better answer though.

I'd probably apply finish to the box then clean out the holes with the same drill bit you originally used and glue the finials in.:2tsup: That was one of my plans. Thanks for confirming. I'm finishing all the finials on their sticks first too, before I part them off and stick 'em in.:cool:

Claw Hama
11th August 2009, 09:39 PM
Or use 5min Araldite to stick them in rather than wood glue. But then you will need to clean the holes out anyway most likely. Should look fantastic TL nice work.

arose62
11th August 2009, 09:51 PM
why not plug the holes with 'temporary finials', apply the finish, take the plugs out, then glue the final finials in?

The bonus is the opportunity to turn *anothe* 48 neatly fitting plugs :)

Or you could do fewer, and finish the box (how can a thing with 48 holes and/or 48 finials be a box???) in sections.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ed Reiss
11th August 2009, 09:51 PM
ambitious project and good practice with the skew :2tsup:

Claw Hama
11th August 2009, 10:00 PM
Just don't leave it on the lounge when you've finished it, could mean a trip to hospital:U. 48 blue wooden spikes in your b_m:~. You have to watch the urchens when you're scuba diving, they are not very friendly.

Sawdust Maker
11th August 2009, 11:01 PM
I couldn't think of anything to say earlier, except I'd finish before sticking
and I can't wait to see the finial echidna

but I have one question: Why?

TTIT
11th August 2009, 11:25 PM
So I had this idea to make a box that had finials alll over it a bit like a sea urchin. So I turned the little round box. Drilled lots of holes in a kinda planned kinda random way, so it did not look to machine like. Then I counted the holes. :doh: 48.:rolleyes: Oh well! I guess I'll be good at them by the end. :C:D
..................................Geeez :o Keen ! :o Dontcha hate it when you get an idea but then you realize it's going to be too much work - but you do it anyway :B. Will be watching this one :U

tea lady
11th August 2009, 11:41 PM
and I can't wait to see the finial echidna

but I have one question: Why? Well, they told me my finials on my first box were too busy......:rolleyes: plus, I kinda believe the way to learn to do something if to do lots of them. :shrug:

Geeez :o Keen ! :o Dontcha hate it when you get an idea but then you realize it's going to be too much work - but you do it anyway :B. Will be watching this one :U Also, if you have seen my pottery work you would realise that I seem to specialize in things that are too much work. I also knit socks. Nothing as comfy as hand knitted socks, but worth a small fortune when you consider that it takes 2 weeks of nights in front of the telly to knit them.:rolleyes: Very comfy in work boots. :cool:

Claw Hama
12th August 2009, 12:04 AM
Ahh, my Nan used to hand knit socks for us, God rest her beautiful sole. And bed boots, bright colours all the wood scraps I guess, probably gave us night mares.

artme
12th August 2009, 01:48 AM
:shrug: I got very good at roughing down blanks with the skew.:cool: Now I'm starting to get a really good finish "off the chisel". :D

Practice makes perfect, eh?:wink::wink:

Good stuphph TL. Await the finialished article with baited breath.

pugwash
12th August 2009, 01:55 AM
That's the way TL. Bite off more than you can chew then chew like hell!:U

Ozkaban
12th August 2009, 11:27 AM
:rant2:
OK, That's it. We have officially 'done' finials for this challenge
:rant2:

All boxes from now on will be nice and smooth on top, with maybe a subtle knob at most..
:yippy:

This decree has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that I suck at finials really badly :B :tapedshut:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
12th August 2009, 11:28 AM
oh, and nice work AM :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th August 2009, 04:13 PM
The box is in Honduras Mahogany. No finish yet, cos I was wondering what to do. If I apply Shellac at this point can I glue the finials in their holes after? :?

And to answer your question, you don't want any finish in the holes or the glue won't take.

'Tis a bit late now, but is there any particular reason that you drilled the holes before applying the finish?

It would've been a lot easier if you'd finished the box and then drilled the holes... :;

Phil Spencer
12th August 2009, 08:54 PM
Nice work Tea Lady.:2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
12th August 2009, 10:18 PM
Tea Lady,

I've said it many times before that you turn much better than I do. :2tsup::2tsup:

But the Little Grasshopper here thinks that you need (at least) to make your finials "pointy". And sharper in the detail.

I know you are working without decent tail-stock support, but you should be able to use your fingers to steady the work and go truly "fine". You have the eyes and hands for it (I don't just yet), but please test yourself. I think/ know that you've the basics down pat, so go that little extra step at the finish. Think of a taper from 1mm down to nothing, with a .5mm detail in the middle.

If the wood you are using won't hold the detail.... Well, that's another matter.

Now are you visiting this weekend or not? I have some firewood (ie redgum stumps) for you. No promises about quality though...... :rolleyes:

tea lady
12th August 2009, 11:43 PM
'Tis a bit late now, but is there any particular reason that you drilled the holes before applying the finish?

It would've been a lot easier if you'd finished the box and then drilled the holes... :;:doh: :shrug: First I was thinking I'd stick the finials on and then shellac, or spray laquor or something. Now I don't know. :hmm:

Tea Lady,

I've said it many times before that you turn much better than I do. :2tsup::2tsup:

But the Little Grasshopper here thinks that you need (at least) to make your finials "pointy". And sharper in the detail.

I know you are working without decent tail-stock support, but you should be able to use your fingers to steady the work and go truly "fine". You have the eyes and hands for it (I don't just yet), but please test yourself. I think/ know that you've the basics down pat, so go that little extra step at the finish. Think of a taper from 1mm down to nothing, with a .5mm detail in the middle.

If the wood you are using won't hold the detail.... Well, that's another matter.

Now are you visiting this weekend or not? I have some firewood (ie redgum stumps) for you. No promises about quality though...... :rolleyes: I wanted the thinness to be fairly similar over all of the finials, and I want some of them to be really long, so it meant the shorter ones aren't as thin as they could be. :shrug: I've got a little Sassy box on the lathe at the moment that will have a REALLy thin finial.... hopefully.:rolleyes:

Yes. Coming on the weekend. Stopping off on the way home on Sunday, about lunch time.:cool:

JMB
13th August 2009, 09:36 AM
Great work!
This is probably a dumb idea and too late to do but I am wondering if the completed work may need some legs because it might end up looking like a spiny animal when all the finials are attached??

tea lady
13th August 2009, 09:52 AM
Great work!
This is probably a dumb idea and too late to do but I am wondering if the completed work may need some legs because it might end up looking like a spiny animal when all the finials are attached??Or maybe eyes? :D Prolly look a bit like a tumble weed.:cool: (Eyes! That gives me an idea.:wave: :elefant: )

jefferson
13th August 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes. Coming on the weekend. Stopping off on the way home on Sunday, about lunch time.:cool:

I hope you find the place. Please don't get lost! :wink:

NeilS
13th August 2009, 10:25 AM
:shrug: I got very good at roughing down blanks with the skew.:cool: Now I'm starting to get a really good finish "off the chisel". :D

Looks like you've progressed up a class or two...:2tsup:

Neil

tea lady
13th August 2009, 05:24 PM
Here is one straight "off the chisel", and my 20th finial (Sanded though.:D ) Not bad eh? :cool: Just wait till I've done 48.:cool2:

Ozkaban
13th August 2009, 05:47 PM
Wow, you're getting good at these things!

Mind you, by the time #48 rolls around :stretcher:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
13th August 2009, 05:49 PM
Here is one straight "off the chisel", and my 20th finial (Sanded though.:D ) Not bad eh? :cool: Just wait till I've done 48.:cool2:

Quick question - how thick is the finial at the base (tenon) and tip?

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
13th August 2009, 07:48 PM
Number 20 measures 48mm long, and is 11mm diameter at the widest part and under 2mm at the tip.:cool: More show of pics. :D 21 finials. 113530113531

And my best to date. Number 20. Number 21 got its end busted off an dis now a bit shorter. I hope its not down hill from here. I thought I just maybe needed to stop for today.:rolleyes:113532

:oo:Actually 22 finials. Cool. Only 26 to go. :cool: (so my best one is actually number 21. :D )

Ozkaban
13th August 2009, 08:55 PM
I actually rather like #12 & 13 - all of the beads look pretty cool :cool:

cheers,
Dave

tea lady
13th August 2009, 08:59 PM
I actually rather like #12 & 13 - all of the beads look pretty cool :cool:

cheers,
Dave:cool: Me too. I'll do more like that, and some with balls down the thin end just for more fun. (I get bored easily.:rolleyes: )

ElizaLeahy
14th August 2009, 02:47 PM
are you insane yet?

:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th August 2009, 08:53 PM
I am :D

RETIRED
14th August 2009, 09:00 PM
are you insane yet?

:2tsup:Always have been.:D

mick61
16th August 2009, 12:52 AM
Gday no 5 is the best .
Mick:D

Ed Reiss
16th August 2009, 12:20 PM
are you insane yet?

:2tsup:

...practicin' to be :roll:

tea lady
16th August 2009, 10:40 PM
Always have been.:D:elefant:

Ozkaban
19th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi TL,

have you given up on the finials, taken a break or just gone plain insane?:p

Hoe many more to go now???

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
19th August 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi TL,

have you given up on the finials, taken a break or just gone plain insane?:p

Hoe many more to go now???

Cheers,
DaveMore tomorrow and Friday. Got side tracked.:rolleyes: 26 to go. Although I'll prolly do some extras cos the first ones I did now seem a bit fat.:doh: Or maybe I'll just return them. They are still on their sticks.:cool: Did 11 a day (before I had to race off a be mother.:C), so might take me 3 days to finish. :think: (every the optimist.:cool: )

ElizaLeahy
20th August 2009, 10:29 AM
Good grief, 11 a day? I think I could maybe manage 5 and that would be with some good stiff coffees!

tea lady
20th August 2009, 05:14 PM
Good grief, 11 a day? I think I could maybe manage 5 and that would be with some good stiff coffees!Coffee?:oo::doh: Now there's your problem. You gotta have tea when you are turning.:cool::D

Here are todays finials. 12! :cool2: I'm getting quicker.:D

Waldo
20th August 2009, 05:18 PM
Are we there yet? :driving:

tea lady
20th August 2009, 05:28 PM
Are we there yet? :driving:
34 down! 14 to go.:sweat::D

mickelmaster
20th August 2009, 05:41 PM
You can do it!!!! :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
20th August 2009, 07:03 PM
Only 14? You should be able to knock them all off tomorrow, right?

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Hey TL
are the kids getting dinner or are you in a groove and forgetting :o

tea lady
20th August 2009, 10:31 PM
Hey TL
are the kids getting dinner or are you in a groove and forgetting :o
:C I wish!:rolleyes: (but I don't think I could do much more really. The concentration starts to get a bit blurry.)

Ozkaban
21st August 2009, 09:08 AM
Now the big question is: Are you using a Skew to roll all of those beads? :whistling2:

tea lady
21st August 2009, 09:52 AM
Now the big question is: Are you using a Skew to roll all of those beads? :whistling2: Not to roll the beads. Can't seem to roll them small enough. Ned a pee-wee skew.:rolleyes: But I was using it to make the long tapered bits.:cool:

NeilS
21st August 2009, 12:45 PM
Not to roll the beads. Can't seem to roll them small enough. Ned a pee-wee skew.:rolleyes: But I was using it to make the long tapered bits.:cool:

If you don't have a small enough skew, have a go with a well ground back parting tool (the 6mm wide works well) and use it as a small bedan (or beading tool).

Use the corners of the 'bedan', like the heel of the skew, to roll down the sides of the beads. As you have two 'heels', you only have to sharpen half as often...:U

Stu in Tokyo has a YouTube clip somewhere on the forum of him using the bedan.

OK, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=62091&highlight=bedan) it is. Also have a look at the Jean-Francois Escoulen video clip in post #14.

It's faster if you can do the whole job with the skew, but if you are switching tools anyway the bedan might be worth a go.

Neil

tea lady
21st August 2009, 05:41 PM
A beaban? :doh: Or 6mm parting tool? :doh: :CSorry. Will have to stick to my spindle gouge. The 1/2' contineltal gouge was doing quite well today. But I still couldn't really do the small beads with it, sp I did thoise with my 1/4' spindle gouge. than showed me how to do them with a 3/4 inch continental gouge. :rolleyes:

Anyway, so here is todays production. Only 10 cos I had to round off more spotted gum blanks to use.

And the best 4.:cool: The last one took me only 7 minutes. Sanding and all. :p:D

Only 4 more to go.:wave:

Ozkaban
21st August 2009, 05:49 PM
A beaban? :doh: Or 6mm parting tool? :doh: :CSorry. Will have to stick to my spindle gouge. The 1/2' contineltal gouge was doing quite well today. But I still couldn't really do the small beads with it, sp I did thoise with my 1/4' spindle gouge. than showed me how to do them with a 3/4 inch continental gouge. :rolleyes:

Anyway, so here is todays production. Only 10 cos I had to round off more spotted gum blanks to use.

And the best 4.:cool: The last one took me only 7 minutes. Sanding and all. :p:D

Only 4 more to go.:wave:

Wow - looking good TL!!!

What's the bet that you have drilled out the box holes slightly too large?:duck:

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
21st August 2009, 05:53 PM
Wow - looking good TL!!!

What's the bet that you have drilled out the box holes slightly too large?:duck:

Cheers,
DaveAh no! I have a plan see. I haven't parted the finial posts down to the final diameter yet. After I have stained and finished them I will trim them down to the right size to go in the holes.:cool:

jefferson
21st August 2009, 08:22 PM
Tea Lady,

exactly how many finials have you done this last week? That's a lot of boxes.... :D

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2009, 09:20 PM
The tea lady went mad with a drill
had 48 holes in a box to fill
decided to turn finials for the holes
got quite good at it, so I'm told
went slowly insane, what an enigma
and all this just to make one echidna

tea lady
21st August 2009, 11:45 PM
Oh Look! A poem just for me. No body's ever written me a poem.:B

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2009, 11:13 PM
Well
don't show hubby - I'm no good at duelling :o

Frank&Earnest
23rd August 2009, 01:27 AM

The Tea Lady went mad with a drill:
forty-eight holes in a box to fill?
Made the Maker go bonkers as well:
instead of Sawdust he tried like hell
to put together rhythm and rhyme.
To which I answer: "O what a crime"! :D

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 01:34 AM
The poems, they are multiplying
and all the box turners are crying.
All tea lady can say
Is "guys! Call it a day"
or your brain cells, they'll be over frying.
:PANCAKES:

Frank&Earnest
23rd August 2009, 01:48 AM
Fry away, T. L., that was good fun.
Better than turning, I love the pun. :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd August 2009, 01:59 AM
Once the rhyming bug's bit,
Poor scansion is often what's writ.
And, sadly to say,
this could go on all day...
So please quit before you get hit. :rolleyes::p

Ozkaban
23rd August 2009, 10:23 AM
The poems, they are multiplying
and all the box turners are crying.
All tea lady can say
Is "guys! Call it a day"
or your brain cells, they'll be over frying.
:PANCAKES:

Fry away, T. L., that was good fun.
Better than turning, I love the pun. :wink:

Once the rhyming bug's bit,
Poor scansion is often what's writ.
And, sadly to say,
this could go on all day...
So please quit before you get hit. :rolleyes::p

To quote Eliza...

:lbs:

Applies to the lot of ya...

Ed Reiss
23rd August 2009, 12:07 PM
To the thread I came to see boxes of wood
That the best and the worst would show what they should
But now the thread’s been hijacked as much as it could
By the mob down under, neighborhood by neighborhood :q:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
23rd August 2009, 12:45 PM
O no
what have I started :doh:

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 12:58 PM
O no
what have I started :doh:

from the thread we have, from it, departed,:rolleyes:

tea lady
25th August 2009, 12:54 AM
I've done 'em. :cool2:

At least I've finished the finials. Even did 2 spares, so I now have 50 finials. :cool: Now I think I'll make the box again. Which is pretty dumb, cos I only did 50 finials cos I drilled to many holes.:doh: But I think 48 finials will be too many. Maybe I'll do 2 boxes with 25 finials in each.:D

Waldo
25th August 2009, 12:55 AM
Or you could do another box with 48 holes and do 46 more finials. :D

tea lady
25th August 2009, 01:04 AM
Or you could do another box with 48 holes and do 46 more finials. :D:roll: No! I think I've got to wash my hair.:D

Ed Reiss
25th August 2009, 02:31 AM

Maybe I'll do 2 boxes with 25 finials in each.:D

...porcupine and son of porcupine :wink:

kdm
25th August 2009, 08:14 AM
Now I think I'll make the box again.

If you do, think about drilling pilot holes before finishing the box and drilling them out to the required size after finishing it. That would minimise the risk of damaging the finished surface but give you clean holes for the glue.

ElizaLeahy
25th August 2009, 08:42 AM
But then the box you already have.... hmmmm

put it next to the other ones and call it "plucked"

Ozkaban
25th August 2009, 11:03 AM

At least I've finished the finials. Even did 2 spares, so I now have 50 finials. :cool: Now I think I'll make the box again. Which is pretty dumb, cos I only did 50 finials cos I drilled to many holes.:doh: But I think 48 finials will be too many. Maybe I'll do 2 boxes with 25 finials in each.:D

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You can't change your mind now!!! C'mon! Lets see the box!

Even if you don't glue the finials in, you've still gotta finish it long enough to take photos! :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
25th August 2009, 11:04 AM
If you do abandon the box, I guess you have a pretty nifty pen holder anyway :rolleyes:

tea lady
25th August 2009, 11:52 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You can't change your mind now!!! C'mon! Lets see the box!

Even if you don't glue the finials in, you've still gotta finish it long enough to take photos! :D

Cheers,
Dave:C But one of the holes went all the way through. And I reckon you won't even be able to see the box on the midst of all them finials. :doh: Maybe I could just glue the finials together in a sphere.:cool: (You are right. I'll finish this one as I first thought. :C:) )

Ozkaban
25th August 2009, 12:09 PM
:C But one of the holes went all the way through.

That's easy - just don't take a photo of the bottom :D

And I reckon you won't even be able to see the box on the midst of all them finials. :doh:

Hmmm. I think you've discovered a nifty way of hiding flaws in woodturning. Just bung a bunch of finials in an no-one will ever know :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

NeilS
25th August 2009, 12:34 PM
Maybe I'll do 2 boxes with 25 finials in each.:D

...... or, 50 boxes with one finial...:o

With 50 finials you have plenty of choices to do a mix and match...:)

Seriously, you should get at least $50 ea for finial boxes, that's $2,500. Not sure you will get that for your sea urchin, well not until you become an internationally famous turner, which I have no doubt you will become, but not just yet...:U.

Neil

tea lady
26th August 2009, 05:09 PM
...... or, 50 boxes with one finial...:o

With 50 finials you have plenty of choices to do a mix and match...:)

Seriously, you should get at least $50 ea for finial boxes, that's $2,500. Not sure you will get that for your sea urchin, well not until you become an internationally famous turner, which I have no doubt you will become, but not just yet...:U.

Neil:cool2:

I turned another box today. I even managed to do a good jam chuck that actually jammed with no flying top or anything.:cool: I think I will only put 1/2 the finials on it, and do more boxes for the rest like you suggest Neil. :U (But now I have to turn 24 more boxes.:doh: ) So now I only have to get $1200 for it.:D

NeilS
27th August 2009, 12:33 PM
So now I only have to get $1200 for it.:D

... then you will be shouting the cappuccinos/teas when next in Adelaide?..:U

Neil

tea lady
27th August 2009, 05:04 PM
Did the final finish on the finials. On close inspection not all of them would be worthy of their own box. This was a learning exercise really, cos I believe that the only way to get good at something is do lots of them. So I'm going back to the 48 finial box. And now, cos I'm not to bad at finails, I'm gonna do a couple of really good ones in Gidgee to go on those Silky Oak boxes I made last week. :cool2:

Will stick the finials in their holes tonight. :elefant:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2009, 05:36 PM
So I'm going back to the 48 finial box.

Phew! You had me worried for a while there...

Ozkaban
27th August 2009, 06:28 PM
Woohoo! The porcupine lives!

Looking forward to the piccies.

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
27th August 2009, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to the photo! This is going to be the weirdest creature :)

ElizaLeahy
2nd September 2009, 01:57 PM
Have you stuck your fingers to all those finials?

tea lady
2nd September 2009, 02:52 PM
:C Real life keeps getting in the way. Will get to it Thursday for sure.:C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2009, 05:35 PM
:C Real life keeps getting in the way. Will get to it Thursday for sure.:C

:yeahright:

Ozkaban
2nd September 2009, 05:44 PM
:yeahright:

:whs:

tea lady
11th September 2009, 06:37 PM
Finally, the prickle has landed. Not the most perfect thing in the world. And I notice in on of the pics that one of the finials isn't seated properly. :doh: And there are blobs of glue. But hey, Its only for fun. It looks quite good as a bowl though. So there might be finial fiestas in the future.:cool:

Timber stacker
11th September 2009, 06:44 PM
That looks amazing, all that effort was worth it in th end. Theres just so many finials.

dai sensei
11th September 2009, 07:59 PM
Been waiting for you to finish this one for a while, it looks great to me, well done :2tsup:

You'll have to bring it to the BBQ so we can have a decent look at it.

Groggy
11th September 2009, 08:07 PM
You have come a heck of a long way in a short period of time :2tsup:

Waldo
11th September 2009, 08:28 PM
I love it. :cool:

tea lady
11th September 2009, 09:10 PM
Been waiting for you to finish this one for a while, it looks great to me, well done :2tsup:

You'll have to bring it to the BBQ so we can have a decent look at it.:C I don't think it will pass a close inspection. But oh well. I'm pretty happy with it for a third box.:D

Ozkaban
11th September 2009, 09:52 PM
Well done! Been waiting to see it for a while.

I hereby nominate this the "most outside of the box" box in the box challenge :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

HammaHed
11th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Ummmmm being the legend of world renoun that I am... I have discovered that HIDE GLUE does not stick to shellac.

The shellac can be sanded through with a coarse cutting no fill sand paper, but....

I have not tried bonding any other glue types to the shellac - but my initial "educated guess" is that it probably won't work - or work very well.

If the parts are small enough to be stuck in a sealable container, then a good soak in metho will take all the shellac out of the grain - eventually.

JMB
11th September 2009, 10:14 PM
I think that looks just terrific. Such a great piece of art.

TTIT
11th September 2009, 10:16 PM
That's awesome TL :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Love it! Worth the wait (if anyone has the right to be REALLY late, it might as well be the person who came up with the challenge :wink: ) :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: KenW eat your heart out :;:U

Sawdust Maker
11th September 2009, 10:34 PM
That's great
I'm pretty sure i saw something like that in the recent star trek movie :D
TL is the undisputed finial queen :2tsup: