PDA

View Full Version : Burdekin Plum

Terrymac
22nd July 2004, 02:56 PM
I recently saw a particularly nice bowl made from Burdekin Plum.
I tried to locate some of this wood in the Brisbane area without success- possibly because nobody in North Queensland sends it south.
Can anyone suggest a contact for this wood. I occasionally visit Townsville so could pick some from there if I have a contact.

Happy Turning.

riffi1
22nd July 2004, 07:41 PM
Hi..

The Burdekin Plum is a native fruit tree which grows wild in Nth Qld although my copy of Wrigley's "Australian Native Plants" says it grows well in Brisbane and Sydney too. It's not a tree grown commercially (either for fruit or timber) so the chances of picking some up are probably very slim unless you have family or friends in the north who have one in their yard and are cutting it down. I'm familiar with the tree (grew up in Charters Towers) but have never seen it used for woodcrafts. I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

Cheers
ROD :)

DavidG
22nd July 2004, 08:07 PM
Try Stan at [email protected]
I have had some nice Burdekin Plum from him. :)

Baz
22nd July 2004, 10:36 PM
Dave you beat me to it, I bought a bit of Stan at the last Wood Show, nice stuff.
Cheers
Barry

RETIRED
22nd July 2004, 10:48 PM
Dave you beat me to it, I bought a bit of Stan at the last Wood Show, nice stuff.
Cheers
Barry

Was he cheap? Did he turn well or just lay there? :D :D :D :D

Baz
23rd July 2004, 08:30 PM
No he wasn't cheap, cost me an arm and a leg. :D
Cheers
Barry

Gingermick
16th February 2005, 11:26 PM
Hi..

The Burdekin Plum is a native fruit tree which grows wild in Nth Qld although my copy of Wrigley's "Australian Native Plants" says it grows well in Brisbane and Sydney too. It's not a tree grown commercially (either for fruit or timber) so the chances of picking some up are probably very slim unless you have family or friends in the north who have one in their yard and are cutting it down. I'm familiar with the tree (grew up in Charters Towers) but have never seen it used for woodcrafts. I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

Cheers
ROD :)

I think

Richard Casey
20th February 2005, 06:02 PM
Terry, I don't have any bowl blanks at present but lots of B.P. pen blanks, if you are interested.
Regards

rsser
21st February 2005, 09:21 PM
Great piece GM. Well done.

Tasty bit of wood, even if it was a bit or arm or leg ;-}

shane.leonie
15th August 2008, 03:52 PM
we have a few tonne or so for sale. we live in Townsville. only recently cleared.

TTIT
15th August 2008, 11:43 PM
Dunno about your piece Mick unless it varies a lot - the stuff I've got is like Neapolitan ice cream - varies from white to pink to dark brown all through the log - came from a back-yard tree out here. Nice to work with - or it will be if I ever get time to turn some more :shrug: #125 in the collection (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/eggpage/alleggs.htm#121.),

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2008, 09:14 AM
we have a few tonne or so for sale. we live in Townsville. only recently cleared.

G'day, can you post some contact details & give us an idea of size & price?

2850elwd
21st July 2009, 06:51 PM
I realise almost 12 months have passed - would you still have some Burdekin plum for bowl turning, please?
I went to Q-turn 2009 at Camp Somerset and the most colourful bowl turned in 3 days (my opinion only) was Burdekin Plum - white thru pink red and brown. :2tsup:
I purchased a piece on ebay recently but still too wet to turn.
Hope you still have some left.
Thanks
Graham

RETIRED
21st July 2009, 07:43 PM
He hasn't been on since that post.