PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood work anyone out there?

greens
14th August 2009, 04:16 AM
About 12 years ago, I studied greenwood work in the West Country of England.
I am no expert, but am passionate about this quiet and friendly way of turning and working with wood.

Is anyone out there who is interested/working in this way?

hughie
14th August 2009, 09:31 AM
About 12 years ago, I studied greenwood work in the West Country of England.
I am no expert, but am passionate about this quiet and friendly way of turning and working with wood.

green as in freshly cut unseasoned timber? If so then most of us have done so continue to do so. :2tsup:

tea lady
14th August 2009, 10:05 AM
some have also had a go on pedal powered lathes. Would love to have a go, cos I ike the idea of knowing what to do after civilisation as we know it colapses.:rolleyes: And quiet would be good. :cool:

Would love to see what you have done.:U

mobjack68
14th August 2009, 01:46 PM
I have turned wet/green wood. It is a hoot!! You can cut about 3 times the amount with each revolution, tools stay sharp longer, cuts easier, cleaner and the curls just fly.

Gil Jones
14th August 2009, 03:26 PM
Most of my turning is on green (wet or pretty wet) wood, and would not have it any other way.

Ad de Crom
14th August 2009, 04:10 PM
I like it to turn green wet wood, easier than dry wood.
Ad

issatree
14th August 2009, 04:31 PM
Hi All,
I'm afraid Green Wood is not for me unfortunately, as I break out in a rash, & severely at that.
I have watched several others use it, & I've seen the likes of Richard Raffan, with stacks of 1/2 turned Bowls, just sitting there air drying

I did 6 Church Bowl a few years ago, & I Microwaved them all in one Day.
They Turned out OK, & the Church was pleased.
Regards, issatree.

greens
14th August 2009, 07:22 PM
'Tis good to hear from those interested in this beautiful way of working.
Thanks for responding.

You might like to look at this website in the UK where they run excellent courses :about clissett wood greenwood working courses:
http://www.greenwoodwork.co.uk/website/venues.html

Texian
15th August 2009, 01:51 PM
So greenwood working means woodwork using only manually powered tools? Sometimes it is helpful to explain these things to the uninitiated.

Claw Hama
15th August 2009, 02:17 PM
And of course we would love to see photos of some of your work. I work mainly with slabs and 9 times out of 10 they are not completely dry so you have to try and calculate how much movement/ shrinkage you might get. It's all part of the challenge and fun.

greens
15th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks Texian,

good point

Greenwood work (in the UK/Europe) as I know it still exists where people are working in ways which were traditional before electricity and power tools.
Forests of Ash, Willow, were literally the homes of 'bodgers' who made the village chairs, handles, spoons, bowls etc. They lived in little huts in the middle of their woodland and worked the wood. Many other timbers are were coppiced too(cut low down so shoots would shoot) and the thin sapling wood harvested. I'm really curious to explore/ find out about Australian timbers which suit. The wood used is young and trim and full of sap which makes it easy to work with, pliable etc. The liquid in the wood also lends itself to added pliability when heated (by leaving it in a pile of animal manure which produces heat as it composts or by putting the timbers in hot water or hot steam).
In the case of heated timbers it can then be put in a jig to form a bend for things like bentwood chairs and musical instruments. Lots of oil is applied to keep the wood from drying and splitting, especially at the bends.

Tools/equipment commonly used with green wood include the good old pole lathe, the shave horse, (which is like a vice that you sit on and work the wood with...) the draw knife, good set of chisels, knives and so on.

I'll try to get some pics of things I have made... main project was building a yurt (dome shaped tent lived in by many between Pakistan and Turkey) in this traditional way. There's a wheel at the top with a rim of timber that we had to steam then bend and hold in place around a barrel. Then we burnt square holes all the way around (with a red hot steel spike cut to shape at the end) to insert the 'ribs' into... lots of other 'greenwood' work processes in making a yurt the old way.
I've got a couple of bent bits of ash that I want to try to make a simple harp from.... Also did weaving of Elm bark to make the sides of an Elm box...
and so on

It's mainly about 'wet young' wood, curves rather than straight edges and using tools with human rather than electric power.

I live on the sunshine coast, so particularly if anyone this way is interested in this around here, let me know

Texian
16th August 2009, 03:56 AM
Sounds a lot like "The Woodwright's Shop", a popular TV show in the U.S.

derekh
16th August 2009, 09:38 PM
My Pole Lathe and Shave Horse. The pic of me on the lathe was taken a couple of weeks ago while I was making legs for my windsor chair. The wood wasn't green though, in fact in was damn dry and hard bloodwood. I do get some green wood at times but by the time I get around to using it, it has dried considerably. AndyMac is a very talented and artistic woodworker who uses many traditional tools.

I'm only about an hour away and I'd be keen to see some of your work. I'm still a learner and the skills take time to develop.

cheers
Derek

gtwilkins
17th August 2009, 09:50 AM
Lately I have been reading a forum from England:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/index.php

I have been gathering bits for a shave horse but the 300 makes turning much easier!

I want to try making chairs after etc, etc

Trevor

Texian
17th August 2009, 10:03 AM
Derek,
My favorite is that orange saw.

derekh
17th August 2009, 10:06 AM
Maybe I should paint it green :)

Trevor, I spend a bit of time on that web forum as well. Mainly to read because I cannot contribute too much. Some inspirational stuff there.

cheers

ChairmanHare
24th September 2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, there certainly are folks using green wood and working it traditionally on a pole lathe with old hand tools as well. The only way to go really. I teach six students at a time, four times a year, to make a Windsor side chair in 7 days or a Windsor Double Bow carver chair in 10 days. Our November workshop is now full and taking bookings for January and Easter workshop (end March) 2010. Haven't had time to figure out how to put the pics up on this forum ... but you can check out www.rbhchairs.com and click on 'workshops' and then contact us from there.

chairs,