PDA

View Full Version : Mods to Trugrind jig

Grumpy John
14th August 2009, 12:40 PM
I got the idea for this modification to my Trugrind toolholder at 's sharpening weekend. Someone (Jefferson I think) had drilled a hole in the toolholder part of the jig and four holes in the leg and using a 3mm pop rivet so that he could repeat the settings more accurately. I've taken this idea one step further and tapped the holes to suit a M4 countersunk hex head screw. I should have used a M3 screw because the holes are too close together (next time).

bowl-basher
14th August 2009, 03:08 PM
:doh::doh::doh::doh:
Why did'nt I think of that.......
What a top idea consider it pinched
thanks heaps:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
14th August 2009, 04:08 PM
I got the idea for this modification to my Trugrind toolholder at 's sharpening weekend. Someone (Jefferson I think) had drilled a hole in the toolholder part of the jig and four holes in the leg and using a 3mm pop rivet so that he could repeat the settings more accurately. I've taken this idea one step further and tapped the holes to suit a M4 countersunk hex head screw. I should have used a M3 screw because the holes are too close together (next time)."Twas me.:cool:

Grumpy John
14th August 2009, 05:25 PM
"Twas me.:cool:

Oh! your back, how was the holiday.

Jim Carroll
14th August 2009, 06:07 PM
John the idea has merits but what happens when you want an angle between the screws.

Grumpy John
14th August 2009, 06:16 PM
Good point Jim, you don't have to use the screw for the 4 "standard" settings. You may have a couple of special grinds that are somewhere in between. For me I, mainly use setting 1 and setting 4, I think I have one gouge I sharpen at #3. If I find that I need a setting somewhere in between I'll just leave out the screw, and I'm no worse off than before.

RETIRED
14th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Oh! your back, how was the holiday.
Nah, it's a rumour.:wink: Good time had by all.

jefferson
14th August 2009, 08:21 PM
The Axe Wielder may be back, but where's his box? :rolleyes:

artme
14th August 2009, 08:34 PM
Not a bad idea.!:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th August 2009, 08:40 PM
any idea on how to fit a 1 1/4 " skew into the blighter?

Tim the Timber Turner
17th August 2009, 01:01 PM
Nah, it's a rumour.:wink: Good time had by all.

Of course, he was in good company. :)

Us South Aussies are a freindly bunch.:U

Cheers

Tim

Grumpy John
17th August 2009, 01:48 PM
John the idea has merits but what happens when you want an angle between the screws.

Jim, I'm still using the clamp nut to tighten the leg (the nut was removed for clarity). The screw is for location only.