PDA

View Full Version : KenW, timber, finials, and on my!

ElizaLeahy
14th August 2009, 01:47 PM
I received a wonderful box of goodies from KenW today! Thank you so much Ken!!!

In it is some timbers, and two tiny finials so that I can see what he means.

I immediately took a piece of mulga out to turn, and made this. I have to work on the "sharpness".

Trying to get a good photo of something this small. It's in the palm of Zoe's hand, and then she took one of it between my fingers, trying to get a non blurry photo :)

Timber makes so much difference! This stuff is so stable. Had to sharpen tools a few times - and how on earth do you sand in between the little divit thingies?

Really made a HUGE difference! Thank you again KenW!!!! :)

ElizaLeahy
14th August 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh, here is all three together, KenW's and mine. I really have to get "sharp" into the picture, don't I?

kdm
14th August 2009, 01:53 PM
Do a box with 48 of them - the practise would help no end :D

Enfield Guy
14th August 2009, 02:40 PM
Nice!!!

ElizaLeahy
14th August 2009, 02:43 PM
Thank you Enfield Guy ;)

KDM, I'm pretty certain that is already being done! :)

Mulgabill
14th August 2009, 06:16 PM
You're a good man KenW!:2tsup:

Keep it up Eliza! remember turn, turn, turn, and them some more.:;

jefferson
14th August 2009, 08:25 PM
Oh, here is all three together, KenW's and mine. I really have to get "sharp" into the picture, don't I?

Eliza, it's a credit to you that I'm guessing which finial is yours. I'm thinking the one on the right is Ken W's. Bugger can turn, can't he? :2tsup:

And so can you. :2tsup::2tsup:

By any chance did Ken mention you need some more chisels (tiny ones), plus a Tormek and pin jaws? I bet he didn't. :D

artme
14th August 2009, 08:29 PM
:):):)

Sawdust Maker
14th August 2009, 08:46 PM
hey Eliza
the one held by you is blurry - you got the shakes :D

KenW
14th August 2009, 09:58 PM
I received a wonderful box of goodies from KenW today! Thank you so much Ken!!!

In it is some timbers, and two tiny finials so that I can see what he means.

I immediately took a piece of mulga out to turn, and made this. I have to work on the "sharpness".

Trying to get a good photo of something this small. It's in the palm of Zoe's hand, and then she took one of it between my fingers, trying to get a non blurry photo :)

Timber makes so much difference! This stuff is so stable. Had to sharpen tools a few times - and how on earth do you sand in between the little divit thingies?

Really made a HUGE difference! Thank you again KenW!!!! :)
You're welcome.
There were 3 finials when parcel left Melbourne.
You did a much better job of this finial.
To sand between the small details use folded (once only) wet and dry sand paper.
Start with 240 grit and go through the grits until you reach 1200 grit. Use the folded part of the sandpaper, this will make it easier to sand both sides of the detail.
Sand up to, but never over the sharp edges of the detail.
If you make the base of your finial small, like the ones I sent you, the finial will look much more delicate.

KenW
14th August 2009, 11:02 PM
You're a good man KenW!:2tsup:

Keep it up Eliza! remember turn, turn, turn, and them some more.:;
Mulgabill, can you tell my wife that.

ElizaLeahy
15th August 2009, 08:55 AM
hey Eliza
the one held by you is blurry - you got the shakes :D

Yes. I have what is called an "intention shake" which means that it gets worse the more that I concentrate on it. Partly due to medication. OK when I have my hand supported, like on a tool rest, but when it's free of support (like in the photo!) it's pretty bad, and no use trying to stop it (see first sentence) which is why Zoe took one of the photos :)

KenW somewhere between here and there a finial disapeared, maybe the other two ate it? I was very careful opening the tube, I'll ask Zoe if she remembers, she was watching me. I swept the floor last night, if it had fallen unseen I would have seen it then, but I'll search more.

NeilS
15th August 2009, 12:27 PM
Oh, here is all three together, KenW's and mine.

Looking just right, already!

Neil

ElizaLeahy
15th August 2009, 05:06 PM
here is the next one, called "Sydney High Point". I probably should have had a look at what high point tower looked like first.

:D

Ozkaban
15th August 2009, 05:11 PM
here is the next one, called "Sydney High Point". I probably should have had a look at what high point tower looked like first.

:D

Nice one. :2tsup:

Sydney tower looks just like it, only slightly more wobbly... oh and a smoke stain or two from the fire at the base of it a month or so ago :oo:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
15th August 2009, 05:12 PM
You're welcome.
To sand between the small details use folded (once only) wet and dry sand paper.
Start with 240 grit and go through the grits until you reach 1200 grit. Use the folded part of the sandpaper, this will make it easier to sand both sides of the detail.

Sand up to, but never over the sharp edges of the detail.

If you make the base of your finial small, like the ones I sent you, the finial will look much more delicate.

Three very good tips to remember.

I'll even try to remember when I get onto the lathe :rolleyes:

Thanks Ken,

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
16th August 2009, 11:11 PM
Very nice.:cool: Will try some in mulga and gigee soon after I've done my 48 softer formed finials. :)