PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a firewood shed

pfsanders
14th August 2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know of a service which provides plans or a cutlist from a sketch or photograph.

I've been planning to construct the firewood shed (see pic), but I'm not confident about speccing it myself.

glenn k
14th August 2009, 08:01 PM
What's wrong with the see what ya got to build it from then work it out.

pfsanders
14th August 2009, 10:25 PM
That's just the kind of attitude, and skill, I lack. Inspiring.

Thanks Glenn.

glenn k
14th August 2009, 11:01 PM
Suppose it's different when you have wood on hand. An axe is about 800mm long so the wood shed is about 450mm wide and maybe 2m long and 1.3m high.
But you could make it what ever size you needed.
The corners look like two 75 x 35mm the supports for the wood and the larger cross pieces 130x 35mm. The rest is just weather boards.

Hope this helps. Where in Australia are you? It will need to be made out of durable wood aswell.
If you are near Williamstown I could mill the timber from my pile of cypress logs.

pfsanders
15th August 2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for that mate.

I'm in South Aust. Cypress sounds good but I guess it will need to be permapine.

Any tips on how to best hold it together ?

glenn k
15th August 2009, 10:15 AM
I'd use 75mm galvanised nails and smaller for weather boards.

pfsanders
15th August 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for that.

spartan
18th August 2009, 12:27 AM
i have a book i got from borders that has a very similar diesgn with full sketches etc, its called Sheds, by David and Jeanie Stiles.

If you use cypress, which i highly recommend....get blunt nails....cause it will help reduce splitting, or pre-drill...

pfsanders
18th August 2009, 12:58 AM
I'll see if i can get hold of it - library maybe.

Also, I interested in why you recommend cypress. Any special advantages that I should know about?

spartan
18th August 2009, 08:04 PM
Cypress - yes, it is termite resistant and other than being a bit 'splity' it comes up really well with a coat of oil. In fact its colour will come out to look a lot like the picture.

The cost is pretty reasonable - in Brisbane we are paying, through Cypress Supplies in Caboolture a 10% more than the equivalent treated pine. - So it look great, is termite resistant, has no chemicals, and is affordable. It is structurally sound - people build houses out of it.

Given, that you are going to be storing firewood in there - it will be a termite magnet! But, the other consideration is - if you are going to spend time building something - and researching something - why not make it look great and last a lifetime.

Best of luck - I have a similar plan for me in the next month or so.