PDA

View Full Version : Rowley-designed Lathe Bench

Kerry Blue
14th August 2009, 06:20 PM
Should be finished by midday tomorrow...I'm keen to get back to turning so the doors to enclose the base will have to wait! I modified Rowley's design (from "Woodturning - A Foundation Course") in the basic construction to make the bench stronger and heavier. Now you can see why I'm chasing Rowley's second book - I want to build on the Foundation Course I've already completed on my previous Teknatool lathe.

Thanks to Glenn (irwing on the Forum) for his help in completing the many tedious mitre saw cuts required for the half laps....My rotator cuff (shoulder) repair is grateful!

Any other women turners local to Tweed Heads???

BozInOz
14th August 2009, 06:55 PM
good stuff

artme
14th August 2009, 08:31 PM
That is one solid bench!! Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Nice solid lookin bench

like your signature comment
even when blunt I'd have to say ditto for my mind

orificiam
14th August 2009, 09:52 PM
Nice Bench Can't wait to see the lathe on it.happy turning.
Cheers Tony.:wink:

orraloon
20th August 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I also go started with Keith Rowley's book. The bench looked practical so I built it for a Record lathe. Only had to buy some sheet flooring and hardware. Scavenged the rest. I figured it would fill up with dust and shavings in any case so did not bother with the doors either. I now have a bigger lathe on mine but it is solid enough for all but the monster lathes and they come with stands anyhow.
Regards
John

Kerry Blue
20th August 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi John

I used mostly recycled timber too. Bought the hardwood legs, but got all the "solid" panels from the "Xmas Party Beer Pile" (all the "waste" packing sheets, dinged edge stuff etc) at my local timber yard, and ripped my old sold core back door up the middle and laminated it for the top. The front and back edges are silky oak bed ends pulled out of a farming friend's bonfire pile and Steve (toolbagsPLUS) gave me timber for the ends of the bench top. Had the hardware left over from some building project in the dim past so it was a pretty cheap build.

Finished it last SAT around midday but haven't got around to posting a photo yet. The Record lathe is VERY SMOOTH now when running but I'm not doing any turning til I fit the new switches I bought....One to go on the left and one on the right so I can easily stop the lathe from either end of the bench.

What sort of turning do you do?

Kerry Blue
20th August 2009, 11:26 AM
John, Forget to mention I'm going to pinch your idea for the tool rack. Doesn't seem safe to me the way Rowley suggests putting the tool rack at the back of the bench! But then, many of the photos in the new edition of his book show him wearing long (loose) sleeves which I understood was a real no-no?

Ed Reiss
20th August 2009, 12:13 PM
...very sturdy looking bench and it looks like it will serve you well. :2tsup:
the only thing I would have done differently is to have more toe room between the bottom stretcher and the floor.

orraloon
21st August 2009, 01:17 PM
Kerry,
I do most sorts of turning apart for the complex segmented stuff. I just don't have that sort of patience. I am waiting on K Rowley's projects to arrive from amazon at the moment. Snail mail takes for ever. The tool rack was a borrowed idea for me too so feel free. Mine is on an old 2 drawer file cabinet on wheels but I have seen the base of a swivel chair used also.
Regards
John