PDA

View Full Version : compressor noise

turnerted
15th August 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi
I use a compressor for blowing off the dust between sanding grades and when deep hollowing but SWMBO complains bitterly about the noise since her play room , the orchid house , ajoins my shed .I was thinking of building a pineboard box over the compressor to try and reduce the noise but I am concerned that reducing the ventilation round it may cause overheating .Also I am not sure if a box will have a noticable effect .
Has anyone tried this or got other suggestions to reduce the noise ?

TTIT
15th August 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi
I use a compressor for blowing off the dust between sanding grades and when deep hollowing but SWMBO complains bitterly about the noise since her play room , the orchid house , ajoins my shed .I was thinking of building a pineboard box over the compressor to try and reduce the noise but I am concerned that reducing the ventilation round it may cause overheating .Also I am not sure if a box will have a noticable effect .
Has anyone tried this or got other suggestions to reduce the noise ?One way to reduce the noise is replace the intake filter with a bigger better version - apparently most of the noise a compressor makes is the sound of the air being sucked in. I moved mine to a shelf in my storage area so that it is enclosed on 3 sides and over the top and even that helped quieten things considerably :U. Wouldn't like to enclose it completely just for cooling/ventilation sake :shrug:

hughie
16th August 2009, 01:25 AM
As TTIT has mentioned look at the inlet filter and also you can isolate some of the noise by ensuring it sit on rubber pads and not ant metal parts on your floor. If your going to box it up then you need to consider how well the compressor can breath. A simple idea is stack bricks or hollow blocks around it leaving a small space top and bottom for air to move, keep an eye on the temps tho'

Texian
16th August 2009, 03:44 AM
Any chance you could just shut it off when your sweetie is next door? Turn it on to refill the tank whenever she leaves for a minute. Always try the easiest thing first. It might be good enough.

eisbaer
16th August 2009, 01:53 PM
has anyone tried soundproofing their entire work area? Not sure how practical it is and it'd be expensive but it's something i've considered.

Ashore
16th August 2009, 02:13 PM
Hi
Has anyone tried this or got other suggestions to reduce the noise ?
Its been discussed several times , if you go to search top right of the screen and typr in soundproof you will get what you want :2tsup:

Acco
16th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Compressor Box (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=43903) & Ventilation (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=45329)

Sturdee
16th August 2009, 04:55 PM
has anyone tried soundproofing their entire work area? Not sure how practical it is and it'd be expensive but it's something i've considered.

I've soundproofed my workshop , both walls and ceilings as well as all my d/c motors and air compressor. Makes it very comfortable to work in.

If you're interested in doing similar collect old doors from the hard rubbish collections and use them together with insulation bats. Works out quite cheaply using old doors and you don't have to build any framework.

Peter.

turnerted
16th August 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions .
I was thinking of building a box with three sides and a top . The forth side would just be the wall behind the compressor but would not be attached to it since I would need to readily remove it to drain the storage tank . Where would I find a better type air filter ?Would a car type air filter do ?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Even if you don't box it in on the fourth (wall) side, it'd be a good idea to line that part of the wall with some insulation. As well as a waffle pad/rubber mat underneath.

It's amazing how well concrete & brick walls transmit rumble.

eisbaer
16th August 2009, 07:48 PM
thanks sturdee for the tip. I live in a townhouse so my garage is my workspace. Not exactly a good place to make noise. No complaints so far though.

TTIT
17th August 2009, 12:01 AM
.............. . Where would I find a better type air filter ?Would a car type air filter do ?Any paper cartridge type filter will do the trick. One of the old style motorbike filters would be ideal - gawd knows where they hide them on the new rubbish they make now. Older style stationary engines had big air-filters that would be easy to adapt to a compressor too.