PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Myrtle and pine clock wip

Timber stacker
15th August 2009, 08:21 PM
For my Visual communications folio I've been designing this clock for a few months. The main part of the clock is made out of Tasmanian Myrtle with a pine insert. I'm tyring to design and make every part of the clock except the mechanism. I'm making the numbers and hands out of veneered Qld maple. I'll be ebonising the numbers and hands with the highly complicated method of permanent marker.:U

artme
15th August 2009, 09:12 PM
Long time no hear Timber Stacker. Good to see you are still about.

Clock is looking good. Glad to see you are doing evrything you possibly can on the job.
It´s agreat way to learn. All the best with it and keep us posted.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Timber stacker
15th August 2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, in the past couple of months I've started working again, as a cook at KFC. It was February that I got redundant from the Home Hardware timber yard. So I haven’t had all that much time for turning. That’s sort of why I'm doing this for school; so I can justify turning. These are the numbers and hands I made tonight from qld maple. I didn't end up turning the hands; it was just too hard to get them thin enough. So what I did was glue the veneer to a piece of aluminium can then cut them out with scissors.<O:p</O:p
<O:p

Texian
16th August 2009, 03:50 AM
Looking good so far T.S. But you may have to change your name to Chicken Fixer (your new job). You are very lucky to be turning at your age, and should be world famous when you are my age.

Timber stacker
19th August 2009, 06:59 PM
I had a bit of a set back yesterday. I'm using iron on veneer for the numbers and I made the mistake of going I II III IIII IV. And I couldn't get the glue off so I had to re turn the face. After doing it for the second time I found it easier to use a soldering iron for the iron on veneers.

artme
20th August 2009, 07:54 AM
Sweet!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A thought just occurred to me. Too late for current action but, I have some Celery Top pine at home. Would have bee a nice touch to use two Tasmanian timbers.

Good luck with the project when you submit it.

Rum Pig
20th August 2009, 08:46 AM
That is a really nice looking clock well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I hope you will post a pic of the finished clock hands and all:)

Timber stacker
24th August 2009, 07:35 PM
Here are some pictures of my finished clock with the hands.

kdm
25th August 2009, 08:29 AM
Good job Timber Stacker, that's come out very well :2tsup:

Rum Pig
25th August 2009, 09:01 AM
I agree with KDM the end result is very nice:2tsup::2tsup:

Are the hands, hand made if not where did you buy them from?

Sorry just answered my own question.

Gil Jones
25th August 2009, 03:48 PM
Very nice looking clock...well done:2tsup: