PDA

View Full Version : Question about boxes with finials...

ElizaLeahy
15th August 2009, 10:34 PM
Do you make/plan the finial first and then make a box to match.

or

Do you make/plan a box, then make a finial to match.

jefferson
15th August 2009, 11:19 PM
Eliza, I can't talk for the Weird and Wonderful one, but I'm sure he only makes boxes that include a finial. I may be wrong, but I'd doubt it.

Check out some of his earlier work here:

http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com/2007/07_files/frame.htm

As I think I said previously, big "clunky" boxes don't deserve finials. Or, at least, finials aren't suited to such boxes.

So the finer and thinner you go, the more opportunities you have to use finials - not only to "decorate", but highlight your work.

Wait until the wise ones respond. My boxes are still clunky. That's why some b#ggers call me Little Grasshopper.

mick61
16th August 2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Eliza Sometimes you make the finial first for instance if you were turning a small box out of Huon pine you would look for a contrasting wood something like African Black wood so you do plan the finial first. If I was going turn a box out of red lance wood or some other really hard acacia I would turn the finial as part of the the lid but in general you plan the complete box before you start or have some idea of what the end product is going to look like. Personally most of the boxes I make are designed as the wood is turning.Hope that completely confuses you LOL.
Mick

kdm
16th August 2009, 08:04 AM
I would plan the whole box first, finial and all to get the proportions right and curves playing together.

Ed Reiss
16th August 2009, 12:18 PM
Eliza...the body really has to be made first in order to, as KDM spoke to, plan the height and thickness of the finial in relation to the body.

One way to determine a good relationship is to use the Golden Mean to get the correct proportions...chances are that you use the Golden Mean in your pictures and may not even realize it. :D

KenW
16th August 2009, 01:08 PM
Do you make/plan the finial first and then make a box to match.

or

Do you make/plan a box, then make a finial to match.
Make a plan of the whole box, including the finial.
It is a lot easier to change the shape of a pencil line.