PDA

View Full Version : Doorway in a load-bearing wall

Trav
23rd July 2004, 02:51 PM
Hi all

I want to open a new doorway in a loadbearing wall. The wall is stud construction covered with plasterboard.

1. Can I simply remove the offending studs and use double studs with a lintel above the doorway?

2. Is this simply too much for my meagre talents and should I get a builder in? The only problem is that it is simply too expensive for a builder to do this little job...

Keen to hear your collective wisdom!

Trav

Frenchie
23rd July 2004, 05:04 PM
Yes it is a simple process provided you set yourself up carefully before you start.

You need to understand what loads are currently being supported by the wall and how it is transferred to the ground. Once you are confident that you understand the loads you need to properly provide an alternative support so you can carry out the removal and installation of you doorway components.

Generally you will need an appropriate beam and supports (acrow props are always handy) to take the load prior to any removal of studs. You may have to support loads on both side of the wall if you are unlucky. Make sure you transfer the load at the floor as well, particularly if you are working off a timber floor. On a timber floor you will need to spread the load across several floor joists by using an appropriate piece of timber placed strategically. Also be careful if it is timber that you don't overload it and leave some nasty impressions for when you are finished.

Once the temporary support is in place you can set about the removal of the offending studs and install the lintel and framework for you new doorway.

You can usually hire acrow props and support beams to carry out this type of work. This is where your careful assessment of the current loads is important as if you get the supports wrong, you will quickly see the error in your ways. It is always prudent to have too much support rather than not enough.

Hope this helps. ;)

Regards Frenchie

duckman
23rd July 2004, 05:22 PM
G'day Trav,

Hi all

I want to open a new doorway in a loadbearing wall. The wall is stud construction covered with plasterboard.

1. Can I simply remove the offending studs and use double studs with a lintel above the doorway?

Yes, BUT, not until you've provided an alternative means of supporting the roof or roof/ceiling loads.
Trick is to remove the plaster from one side of the wall, then
cut your new lintel into the existing studs then
add additional studs at either side of the proposed opening, if needed and then
remove the studs that are in the way to form the opening.
No temporary props. are required if you follow this sequence, which saves time and money.
Go easy on the plaster and you should only have to make good on one side not two.

How much load is this section of wall carrying?
Stick your head up into the ceiling, through the man-hole that is, :D , and check the location of roof props in relation to the proposed opening. Strutting beams which support either props or hanging beams (hangers) are your biggest concern. Hangers themselves aren't as big a deal as they are just supporting ceiling load, however, if they are spanning a long distance then we want to be careful we don't disturb the ceiling any more than is absolutely necessary.

Oh.. by the way. How wide is this opening to be? Are we talking a single room door, double doors, wide arch or what?

2. Is this simply too much for my meagre talents and should I get a builder in? The only problem is that it is simply too expensive for a builder to do this little job...

If you've got enough nouse to ask here first, then I'd say you could pull it off. :) Do you have a digital camera? If you do take a few pics and post them so we can see what you're seeing. Don't forget to photograph inside the roof space too.[/QUOTE]

Keen to hear your collective wisdom!
Trav

Don't know how wise I am, but I've managed to make a good living as chippy for around 27 years. :)

Course if I had any brains, I would've gotten out a long time ago, but that's another story.... :D

gemi_babe
24th July 2004, 12:51 AM
Not sure if you caught the show 'auction squad' on tv but they just did what you are trying to do. On the show they showed the process of removing and reinforcing the load bearing wall.

http://www.auctionsquad.com.au/current.php?ID=2983

Hope this helps too

Gemi

ChrisH
24th July 2004, 01:53 AM
Reminds me of the Fawlty Towers episode of O'Reilly vs. Stubbs.
Sybil wants Basil to use Stubbs the builder for a doorway job but Basil wants to use the cheaper O'Reilly. Sybil is to be away whilst the work is done.
Despite promising to use Stubbs, Basil hires O'Reilly. Naturally it all goes wrong. Eventually after much anguish Basil gets O'Reilly back to complete the job correctly just before Sybil arrives home.
When Sybil arrives Basil shows her the job. it looks perfect. He promises that Stubbs did the work.
Stubbs turns up unexpectedly, asking about the job he had expected to do but hadn't been called for. (!) He looks at the new door between the lobby and the dining room. He says it looks like a good job. (Basil is relieved) Then Stubbs asks Basil, "What sort of lintel did you use?" Basil clearly doesn't know what Stubbs is talking about. "you know, it's a load bearing wall. You have to use a lintel over the doorway. Did you use a timber lintel or an RSJ? Basil looks blank. Stubbs says," I'll get a prop under it. I'd better do it right away before the whole bloody place falls down."

Chris.

Trav
27th July 2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your input. It sounds quite possible for a normal doorway. The only problem is that SWMBO is not keen on the idea at all. While she is happy to trust me to build a deck/pergola etc, when it comes to fiddling with load-bearing walls, she is not so keen.

In the interests of saving myself ultimate agony, I think I might let this one go. Perhaps I could convince her that a new plasma screen TV would be a better purchase than a doorway that has moved 3 metres!

Trav