PDA

View Full Version : Tea Lady has got lost

jefferson
16th August 2009, 02:48 PM
Tea Lady was supposed to be here for lunch. For most, I'd suggest that's between 12 and 1.30.

Apparently, her map-reading went astray in Wagga Wagga.

It's now almost 2 o'clock and she still hasn't arrived..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is it about women and reading road maps?

I've spent the best part of the morning sharpening the chisels for her. Waiting, waiting..... In the end, I roughed out a blank for a weed pot. I'll post some pics, if and when she gets here.

She must sing for her supper though. :D Well, lunch anyway.

AUSSIE
16th August 2009, 03:11 PM
I don't believe that! The food and sharp chisels should have worked like a magnet:2tsup:
Ladies getting lost on the road.
LOML doesn't get lost ,we just end up back where we started and try again.
Well that was until we invested in a GPS Havent been lost since we worked out how to work it:B:B

wheelinround
16th August 2009, 03:21 PM
Wagga poor town will never be the same again

Pat
16th August 2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe TL learnt the method of map reading ????? :q

(Now to keep a low profile from the Axeman . . . if you see a low scurrilous cur slinking in the background, it's just me:U )

Jim Carroll
16th August 2009, 05:31 PM
Wagga and Kiewa now isint there a bit of distance between the 2.:oo:

Maybe she should do as the blond does and holds the map upside down then confuses me when i look at it from the drivers side.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe she thought she'd visit Vern on the way? :U

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2009, 07:36 PM
I'll keep an eye out for her. :p

echnidna
16th August 2009, 07:49 PM
she might be doing a pub crawl of all the galleries on the way :wink:

funkychicken
16th August 2009, 08:34 PM
I thought I recongnised that hitch hiker wandering the roadside on the way home today:p

jefferson
16th August 2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I hope the Tea Lady got home OK. (How she gets around Melbourne is beyond me.) :D She almost got lost in my shed too!

Here are a few pics of TL at work. She was in a hurry to get home, but I made sure she made a start on a Weed Pot.

My lathe was a little high for TL, but she managed OK.

I'd like to think it was the master standing over the pupil, but alas not.

Now, what did you want to know about guinea pigs???

Ed Reiss
16th August 2009, 09:39 PM
Jeff, seeing the pics of your shop (greatly enhanced by TL) it's shocking :o that it is so clean and organized, not to mention the sheer number of turning tools lining the wall...your giving all turners a bad rep....c'mon clean up your act - throw some curlies and wood cutoffs on the bench, sawdust on the walls, etc.:q:D:D:D

Waldo
16th August 2009, 09:57 PM
... but I made sure she made a start on a Weed Pot.

What is she going to put in a Weed Pot? :o

jefferson
16th August 2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry, Ed, but I just had to clean up a little before TL arrived. (I even swept out in the "machine shop" which you didn't see - first time in months). I was huffing and puffing so hard that I had to have a quiet beer or seven.

As for the tool rack..... built it for me at Xmas. (Ed, he's a truly decent bloke who you should try to meet one day. Bugger can turn spindles - and other things - too.)

The rack looked great at the time, but it's now way too small. :rolleyes: I don't know how all this turning addiction / tool slut stuff started, but it seems endless. :- I blame........ Um, me and the rest of the forum. Ern started it all..... :p

Looking back..... I probably could get by with maybe 5 or 6 chisels. But (there's always a But), I have one big skew set aside solely for tenons, the other big one for planing cuts. Three other skews for finer work, one inch down to a half. Five or more scrapers, all with different grinds and shapes for my boxes.....

Many different sized bowl and spindle gouges too.....:rolleyes:

And I can honestly say that I use none of them overly well. I am improving though - my favourite tool at the moment is a 3/8 P & N bowl gouge (beak and all).

One thing I can say is this: women turn differently to men. I think they are more in tune with their hands - and thus don't rely so much on doing the "tango" behind the lathe, chisel handle affixed to the hip. IMHO of course.

I've had quite a few from the Forum visit me - always a pleasure. But they all turn differently!

Looking forward to an influx of visitors between Xmas and New Year.

tea lady
16th August 2009, 10:55 PM
One thing I can say is this: women turn differently to men. I think they are more in tune with their hands - and thus don't rely so much on doing the "tango" behind the lathe, chisel handle affixed to the hip. IMHO of course. Having done turning at 's, I only do the tango for big bits of wood.:D I also need to do another 2 feet taller to have the chisel on my hip on Jefferson's lathe.:rolleyes: Will bring my high heeled safety shoes for xmas.:cool:

I've had quite a few from the Forum visit me - always a pleasure. But they all turn differently! So everyone finds there own variation on the theme.:cool:

Looking forward to an influx of visitors between Xmas and New Year.And my excise for gettign lost? I was driving from Neranderra to Keiwa. Kinda diagonally across the map. All roads and signs think they know where you are going, and it wasn't where I was going. Why don't they tell you what the f&%#^ road is called on those big signs? The map has the road name on it and that is what you look for. :- And nowhere was there a sign saying that was Kiewa Valley Highway. :dunce: At least I won't get lost at xmas time.:p

tea lady
16th August 2009, 10:57 PM
I also think Jeferson must use his shed mostly for cat swinging, as there was so much room around the equipment. It must be for something.:think:

jefferson
16th August 2009, 11:23 PM
I also think Jeferson must use his shed mostly for cat swinging, as there was so much room around the equipment. It must be for something.:think:

Tea Lady, thanks again for the visit and the pottery. Annie and I really like and appreciate your gift. :2tsup::2tsup: (no pics, sorry).

What is it that I do with all that gear in the shed? Not much, unfortunately. A kitchen to finish next week, then hopefully Box 15 (or is it 16?).

And all this after I spent a while sharpening the chisels..... And you only really wanted to use one or two. ('s favourite HT Euro spindle gouges no less. No surprises there!)

If DJ ever re-appears (and brings the little VL100 back for Xmas), I'll make sure that the lathe sits a little lower.

But I'm hoping there won't be any shortage of lathes. The more the merrier.

tea lady
17th August 2009, 10:46 AM
Tea Lady, thanks again for the visit and the pottery. Annie and I really like and appreciate your gift. :2tsup::2tsup: (no pics, sorry).

Just though Annie might apreciate something that wasn't wood.:D No! I wanted too give you something worthy in exchange for the pile of red gum.:cool:

And all this after I spent a while sharpening the chisels..... And you only really wanted to use one or two. ('s favourite HT Euro spindle gouges no less. No surprises there!) Acshully, I wanted to use an ordinary spindle gouge. Where weere they? :shrug: But I do like the continental spindle gouge. Cos its wider and flatter it nearly like a curved skew.:cool: But I still find skews a little nerve wracking. :C

If DJ ever re-appears (and brings the little VL100 back for Xmas), I'll make sure that the lathe sits a little lower. Maybe we could just stand on some red gum. Gotta use it for something.:D

But I'm hoping there won't be any shortage of lathes. The more the merrier.I want someone to bring a pole lathe. They sound like a giggle.:D

Ozkaban
17th August 2009, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a fun weekend for all concerned! I don't think I've ever heard TL swear before - even with the &%#^ blotting it out...

As for the tool rack - very nice. Was it you or who wrote "Real Tools" on it :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
17th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Sounds like a fun weekend for all concerned! I don't think I've ever heard TL swear before - even with the &%#^ blotting it out...

As for the tool rack - very nice. Was it you or who wrote "Real Tools" on it :cool:

Cheers,
Dave:DRobbo wrote that. Cos its proper spindle turning tools.:rofl:

jefferson
17th August 2009, 12:49 PM

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, blame . He really frowned on all my scrapers and other "gimmick" tools. So when we loaded the rack up with all my skews, he couldn't help himself.... :D

Don't get me wrong - I do use the "real" chisels often, but refuse point-blank to roll beads with a skew. 8 or 9 out of 10, OK. But then the inevitable catch..... :B

rodent
17th August 2009, 12:50 PM
Yes can turn spindles all right .Now who's going to turn a box for one of his 20 ft spindles ?

artme
20th August 2009, 03:26 AM
Tl, you really were lost.
I lived i9n that area and drove those roads for years. Did you not notice that all roads off the Sturt between Naranderra and Wagg Wagga lead to Boree Creek?:rolleyes::rolleyes::p