PDA

View Full Version : WIP inertia sander

hughie
17th August 2009, 01:42 PM
Here we go a 'hughie sander'

Started out hunting through my steel scrap box looking for some 20mm round bar. All I could find was some 20mm sq stainless It'l have to do.

Although it does not need stainless or sq both only add to the cost on manufacturer.

Machined 12mm spigots/tangs with the idea of making wooden handles But have since changed my mind and will make handles from stainless tube I had lying around.

Also drilled the heads out to take a dual position of the sanding heads. At right angles or in line with the handle. The sanding heads are held in place by m6 grub or set screws, with m8 cap screw to hold the angle adjustment. The handle shown is about 300mm or 12" long, this will allow me to sand with ease hollow vessels to a reasonable depth.
The 12mm tang will fit allot of propriety handles such as Vermec, Peebles etc. I thought of giving the tang extra length to make the whole thing some what telescopic. I suspect 12mm might be a tad flexible, might need to got to 16mm of 5/8"

hughie
17th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Have been giving the handle idea some more thought and wondered if there was much in the idea of a dual sander set up. That is, to have a sander at both ends of a longish handle, sort of a coarse and fine set up all in one.
On this one the handle grip is dishwasher drain hose from Bunnies.It makes a good grip, but the sizing of the metal part so to slide the hose on and still give a good grip is a bit tricky, need some thing a little more flexible

Dunno if I will go with the dual set up but I do like the single with the hose grip. It remains now is to make the sanding heads.

Tiger
19th August 2009, 11:25 AM
Nice work Hughie. Look forward to the final product.

Paul39
20th August 2009, 01:47 AM
.It makes a good grip, but the sizing of the metal part so to slide the hose on and still give a good grip is a bit tricky, need some thing a little more flexible..

I have had good luck with soaking the hose in hot water and pushing it over the metal.

Put a 45 degree angle or radius on the end of the handle to make it easier for the hose to go on.

A little squirt of hand dishwashing liquid in the hose and rotated to make it coat the inside makes it slide better.

artme
20th August 2009, 03:07 AM
I see it now: Hughie Tools.com.au.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
20th August 2009, 12:59 PM
I see it now: Hughie Tools.com.au.

might need Managing Director :U with wood turning experience

ElizaLeahy
20th August 2009, 02:10 PM
If you do want a website, talk to me first ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2009, 03:03 PM
Looking good! :2tsup:

You planning to put a bearing in the head?

hughie
21st August 2009, 01:00 AM
f you do want a website, talk to me first
;)

Will do Eliza, thanks :2tsup:

You planning to put a bearing in the head?

Yep, but not the usual bearings, too much machining for this little black duck. Will keep you up dated

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2009, 02:37 AM
Yep, but not the usual bearings, too much machining for this little black duck. Will keep you up dated

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser. :think:

joe greiner
21st August 2009, 09:12 PM
I made one of these a year or so ago, as a feasibility study, after one of Al Neighbor's (member OGYT) posts about them; which I can't find now of course. Maybe you saved the index reference, hughie. Here's one mention of them, but without pictures: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=74970 (#2).

I used a rollerblade wheel, with a slice of hollow swimming pool noodle for the cushion. I used a carriage bolt to secure it to the pivoting part, a piece of cabinet grade plywood; one nut secures the bolt to the pivot, and a second one clamps the included bearing of the wheel. I forget what glue I used between the cushion and the wheel; the sandpaper is secured with spray adhesive. The handle is surplus Al tubing from an orphan lawn chair with swaged spherical end - just because it was there, and made sense at the time. I used a nylock nut to resist vibration; probably for the second nut on the axle too.

IIRC, Al's had a fixed angle between the handle and the wheel axis. Your end-on configuration provides additional variability, and a headless bolt could work in both configurations.

Double-ending the handle would reduce the number of tools, but storage could be awkward. I think Al had about six or seven in different grits, with the handles stowed in vertical pvc tubes.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
22nd August 2009, 01:04 AM
made one of these a year or so ago, as a feasibility study, after one of Al Neighbor's (member OGYT) posts about them; which I can't find now of course. Maybe you saved the index reference, hughie. Here's one mention of them, but without pictures: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=74970 (#2).

Joe I have in mind to use cam followers, which has a striking similarity to your roller blade wheels.

hughie
21st January 2010, 05:47 PM
Here we go a further installment :U

Using cam followers I needed to turn up a couple of bearing cups to press the bearings into. The final shot is the assembled cam follower and cup. There two sizes 25mm or 1" and 50mm or 2"

hughie
21st January 2010, 05:52 PM
The grip is from sullage piping its fits fairly well over the stainless tube. I turned a piece of what they call high tensile Aluminium for the handle reducer, lockingscrew is m6 grub screw, 3mm Allen key

hughie
21st January 2010, 05:56 PM
The full assembly handle pics show the various configurations. All I have to do now is cut and glue the foam on and make a plug up for the end of the handles.
The cam followers are rated to 20,000rpm so they should be ok. I can remember their side thrust loadings but I doubt if I will ever exceed them. Cam followers are 19mm with m8 threads to the shafts, held in the universal joint by m6 grub screws

Materials used Stainless and Aluminium, Allen screw for all fasteners. 20mm plastic sullage pipe for washing machines for the grip

hughie
21st January 2010, 06:03 PM
Double-ending the handle would reduce the number of tools, but storage could be awkward.

Joe I thought about a double ender but for the same reasons decided against it. :2tsup:

China
21st January 2010, 08:43 PM
When do they go on the market

wheelinround
21st January 2010, 09:44 PM
Hughie call round have some foam to suit if needed or grab the kids floaties.

Also if you need a tester :U

artme
21st January 2010, 10:30 PM
OK, when is the test run??

Neat job mate.

powderpost
21st January 2010, 10:42 PM
I seem to recall mention that there is a bearing in a video cassette recorder that is good for this tool. Maybe some one more mechanically minded than me knows of it?
Watching this with interest, thanks Hughie.
Jim

China
22nd January 2010, 12:36 AM
Only bearing i can think of in a vcr would be the head drum bearing they are a high speed bearing, every thing else would be too small

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd January 2010, 04:21 PM
Nothing to add, beyond "it's looking good!" :2tsup:

TTIT
22nd January 2010, 04:56 PM
Nothing to add, beyond "it's looking good!" :2tsup:He always manages a professional sort of look to his tools eh!:2tsup: Will have to get him working on my "sanding finger" - - - - if it ever get's off the drawing board :B

Ed Reiss
23rd January 2010, 12:27 PM
Hughie, you do amazing work !!!!

hughie
23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM
When do they go on the market

mm, dunno, doing it in stainless etc it would be priced about the same as the others on the market around $100 each.

Will have to get him working on my "sanding finger" - - - - if it ever get's off the drawing

No worries Vern, drop a sketch in the mail :U

WOODbTURNER
23rd January 2010, 05:48 PM
Hughie,

I don't know if you have seen this Flexi mini sander by Woodcut NZ. The head is 30mm dia. and is great for tight areas. It's next to Enzo's sander for comparison. Sorry for the lousy photos.

Cheers

http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

hughie
23rd January 2010, 05:59 PM
WOODbTURNER,

Thanks, I had not seen it.:2tsup: Interesting, I have machined enough out of mine to have a similar action.

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd January 2010, 08:38 PM
Hughie,

I don't know if you have seen this Flexi mini sander by Woodcut NZ. The head is 30mm dia. and is great for tight areas. It's next to Enzo's sander for comparison. Sorry for the lousy photos.

Cheers

http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

I wonder where they source their pads from?:wink:

WOODbTURNER
23rd January 2010, 08:59 PM
Hey Tim,

Do you make the spigots for these as well or just the pad itself. Can I just unscrew the spigot off one of yours to fit theirs?

Cheers

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd January 2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Tim,

Do you make the spigots for these as well or just the pad itself. Can I just unscrew the spigot off one of yours to fit theirs?

Cheers

Large pliers on the washer.

Unscrew shaft.

1/4" whitworth RH thread:2tsup:

Changing the pad may result in a small amount of runoff but not enough to affect performance.

Cheers:)

NeilS
25th January 2010, 02:39 PM
I wonder where they source their pads from?:wink:

Had occurred to me before I saw your tongue in cheek question....:U

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:22 AM
Finished with 40mm approx dia pad with Velcro, plugged the end with a bit of nylon made the nylon plugs different lengths so as to I.D. them quickly by the handle end. Seeing both are identical no need to show both.Handle is about 300mm long gets me into bowls and vases better than the short Vermec one I have.

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 09:31 AM
where's the action shot Vern did action shots Hughie :U

hughie
31st January 2010, 09:36 AM
where's the action shot Vern did action shots

mumble, mutter mutter, darn motor is in bits,needs a bearing or two.

wheelinround
31st January 2010, 09:47 AM
mumble, mutter mutter, darn motor is in bits,needs a bearing or two.

The bearings now being used in the sanding apparatus Hughie :q

TTIT
31st January 2010, 08:05 PM
Flash looking rig Hughie :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: (Flash enough that I won't be showing mine here :B)
where's the action shot Vern did action shots Hughie :UWell . . . . . . . . . . .. it wasn't ACTUALLY spinning :B

hughie
31st January 2010, 08:44 PM
Flash looking rig Hughie just hope the darn glue is as good the sales pitch last lot melted and came away :~ not so flash, and I spat the dummy as it was too late to do anything about it, had good old tantrum :U

NeilS
1st February 2010, 07:17 PM
Hughie - 40mm sounds about right for the inside of forms.

Let us all know here when you go into production.