PDA

View Full Version : Calm's first attempt at a box

Calm
17th August 2009, 08:16 PM
Apologies first i have been without a puter since Monday last week so i will get a letter from Mum and a Doctors certificate to keep everyone happy:p:p:D:D Now i have a brand new one - 4pm today - no email yet, cant find my old documents - pictures or any programs i used for photos etc so things will get better after a bit i hope.

First impression after this attempt were *&*$#%^&^%$#*&^% boxes

So i had this idea that sounded simple but no that was not the case. anyway i didnt even want to sand it i was so annoyed but a quick finish for the photos.

It is about 100mm x 90mm x 90mm high

To get the centre i clamped 4 boards to the sides and measured the centre that way

Turned between centres (you can see the centre mark on the lid) and made a tenon on the base to fit the 100 mm jaws

Then mounting in the chuck and also having the centre for support, i marked with a pencil then cut by hand the corners (2 cuts each) so that when i parted the lid off i wouldnt get any chipping of the fragile outside.

Next parted the lid using a 1/4 inch parting tool down to the diameter of the lid tenon (beautiful all corners still intact - what a tradesman i am) then changed to a narrow parting tool to finish off the removal of the lid. Yep you guessed it - the clumsy fool with the chisel missed the 1/4 inch opening and chipped off 2 corners - talk about abuse i was not happy as to start again meant another old stump.

Anyway i finished off the parting off and then wrapped it in masking tape and mounted the lid in the new titan chuck with the 130mm jaws packing one side to get it to run central. hollowed out the inside and polished (quickly)

Hollowed out the bottom, still mounted in the 100mm jaws, (being first box i just rounded the bottom inside corners instead of a square hollow out) and sanded etc the inside of the box.

Then mounted the bottom in the titan chuck same way and turned the tenon down to a foot and hollowed it out a bit as well.

So that is my effort - i may attempt another one with a finished top on it.

One problem is the kids have seen it and "thats cool" can i have it for a jewellery bix so now i have to try and finish it off a bit better.

Anyway go for it - OPEN FOR CRITIQUE.

Cheers

Why wont the bloody pictures load??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 08:28 PM
:worthless:

Pat
17th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Murphy is :roflmao:

Probably too big in size 800x600 or bytes

or Murphy is being a real barsteward!

Calm
17th August 2009, 08:47 PM
HOpefully now some pics - googled resize phoo and did it online - fingers crossed

Tony Morton
17th August 2009, 08:56 PM
Hi David
Looks like it might have come out of the bush fires, I was cleaning up this afternoon and came across three pieces of old rosewood fence post I fiddled around for a while looking at leaving some natural weathered areas looks like you beat me to the punch Love the box the richness of the grain with the contrast of the charred out side.

Cheers Tony

Tony Morton
17th August 2009, 08:59 PM
Hi David
You didnt say is it red gum?

Cheers Tony

Calm
17th August 2009, 09:05 PM
Hi David
You didnt say is it red gum?

Cheers Tony

Sorry yep a redgum house stump brushed with a wire brush to get the dirt off, but the scaley bits keep falling off - nopt sure it was such a good idea after all.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2009, 09:58 PM
I like the idea behind it, especially the contrast. Very nice. :2tsup:

I reckon you want to remove the spigot; it'd be better slightly dished, but even just a plain, flat bottom - maybe by hitting it with a disk linisher or similar - would be an improvement

munruben
17th August 2009, 10:05 PM
Nice work David, Looks great:2tsup:

David Mitchell
17th August 2009, 10:29 PM
Hi David
Looks good,maybe another idea would be to partly clean up the outside
and have some of that nice grain showing.:cool:
I will have to make a start at this project :doh:
Regards
David:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
17th August 2009, 10:36 PM
nice and understated - I like it a lot :2tsup:
I agree with skew on the spigot
bvgger about the corners that chipped

I wonder how the outside would look after been taken to with a wire wheel on a grinder? or even a wire wheel on an angle grinder?

tea lady
18th August 2009, 12:24 AM
:2tsup: Oh! A late starter. I like it . Pity about the chip. Can't you find it again in the sawdust pile. :doh: How to finish the bottom is a bit of a puzzler isn't it. :think: Maybe you could just hold it on the lathe with a screw chuck then plug the hole with a bit if muck? :shrug: Or maybe screw it on to a backing plate in the corners and put little round bumps for feet.

RETIRED
18th August 2009, 08:27 AM
Just put it on a jam chuck held on the inside of the "bowl" and concave the bottom.

That will give you four feet at the bottom.

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 09:41 AM
Where it chipped, how about you try hitting it with a match? Won't matter so much if the chip is still there if it's the same colour as the rest.

Rum Pig
18th August 2009, 09:53 AM
I like that idea kind of don't judge a book by its cover:2tsup:
I do agree with skew about the base

Well done :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

kdm
18th August 2009, 09:59 AM
I love the contrast between the charred outside and the red inside. I agree with Skew it would be better without the foot. You could think about wire brushing the outside some more, charring with a blowlamp and wire brushing again, rinse and repeat until the outside is stable and evenly charred all over.

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Calm,

I like the way you've done the box. Lovely weathered sides. Leave it out in the weather for a bit and the chip will disappear in no time (well, maybe a year or two :roll:)

What did the stubby think of the little blank though? I imagine it would have looked at you funny wondering as if you were trying to turn pens on it :oo: I'm suprised it consented to being switched on :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
18th August 2009, 12:32 PM
so David, you can call it "Loaf of Bread that went through Hell" :2tsup:

Calm
18th August 2009, 02:10 PM
Not sure why some dont like the foot. it is less than 2mm high and cant be noticed from the side angle.

It hasnt been burnt it is just the decay from being in the ground - i have sprayed it with Poly to try and help hold it together a bit - that didnt work either - probably better to soak it in something before i started to stop the edges falling off.

I still have the rest of the stump that i will try again - this time with a dome top and then maybe a recessed knob on the lid. Try not to break the corners.

As for finishing this one better i can wrap in masking tape and mount in the titan chuck quite easily. - easier than a jam chuck for me anyway

Will do a Wip on the next one.

Thanks for the kind words

Cheers

jefferson
18th August 2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words

Cheers

So, so, sorry my mate from Ballarat - I haven't got any kinds words for you. :wink:

We discussed this box when you last visited and I am still not convinced. Your chisel work on the inside should, IMHO, be replicated on the outside. (The inside looks fantastic and is the kind of turning I aspire to).

But the outside..... :oo: Calm, it still looks like a lump of weathered wood!

Or are you going arty-farty on us all? :D:D Doesn't sit well with our moccassins! (Did I spell that right?).