PDA

View Full Version : the brastards took all my wood...

Shedhand
18th August 2009, 10:23 AM
Arrived back on terra firma Tassie safely. going through Quarantine and they confiscated all the wood I collected on my trip (except a plank of siky oak i bought in McLean) Anything with bark was taken. Orange Osage, Blue Gum, red box/red gum hybrid, Hairy Oak everything Dai Sensai gave me, the stuff gave me. Devastated....was so looking forward to resawing the stuff for box work and inlays. Ah well craap seems to happen a lot these days. :(

tea lady
18th August 2009, 11:07 AM
:C B#m! :console:

fubar
18th August 2009, 11:23 AM
thats a bugr
you could have asked for it to be treated (irradiated?) by aqis but probably too late now

Waldo
18th August 2009, 12:23 PM
Mongrels. :minigun:

Shedhand
18th August 2009, 01:05 PM
thats a bugr
you could have asked for it to be treated (irradiated?) by aqis but probably too late nowThey said there was no way to fumigate wood with bark on it....i even offered to sit down with a tomahawk and remove all the bark. Nup. They were adamant.:no:

Big Shed
18th August 2009, 02:34 PM
I had no idea there was AQIS quarantine inspection when you enter Tassie. Does it work the other way as well, ie when you take timber from Tassie to the mainland?

Sorry to hear you lost all that timber Sheddie:((

Shedhand
18th August 2009, 03:51 PM
I had no idea there was AQIS quarantine inspection when you enter Tassie. Does it work the other way as well, ie when you take timber from Tassie to the mainland?

Sorry to hear you lost all that timber Sheddie:((Its not AQIS...its the Tasmanian Quarantine Service. Even more hardline than AQIS. I don't know if it works both ways because i left tassie with an empty ute.
I'll probably never get another piece of Hairy Oak or Osage again. And I can't remember the names of all the other species Dai Sensai (Neil) gave me.
I may even move interstate to access the stuff. Besides its a LOT warmer for my bones up there....:-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2009, 04:02 PM
:oo: :C

Calm
18th August 2009, 04:08 PM
I know you can bring cattle & sheep from Tassie to vic but it is difficult to take them the other way - they are very strict with that stuff so not surprised with the wood. Trucks have to be washe dsparayed etc as well.

Wonder what happens if you post it??

Next time you are over onb the mainland dont feel you cant accept the gifts/wood just leave it at my place on your way home - i'll "care" for it for you.

Cheers

Shedhand
18th August 2009, 04:16 PM
Next time you are over onb the mainland dont feel you cant accept the gifts/wood just leave it at my place on your way home - i'll "care" for it for you.

CheersA true altruist.....:cool::D

FXST01
18th August 2009, 05:55 PM
Call me a cynic, but I wonder who's shed the wood is in now.

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Bastards. :~

RETIRED
18th August 2009, 07:01 PM
Bummer.

corbs
18th August 2009, 07:35 PM
I can tell you that getting wood from Tassie back to the mainland is dead easy. Came back with a load of Blackwood, Sassy and a few bits of Huon a couple of months ago. The blackwood was DAR and the Sassy was as a slab edge to edge without bark. Huon was turning blanks and waxed. It was all wrapped up in tarps but wasn't even asked to unwrap it.

Sorry to hear you lost your wood on the way back:(

Shedhand
18th August 2009, 08:02 PM
Call me a cynic, but I wonder who's shed the wood is in now.Yes, that crossed my mind too....

terry arnold
18th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your wood mate.

Taking stuff out of Tassie is no problem but bringing stuff in is a different kettle of fish they can be very pedantic about all sorts of things.

Cheers Terry

BobL
18th August 2009, 09:14 PM
That's a real bummer BS.

How's this for an example of one arm of Govt not knowing what the other is doin.

We want to bring a small amount of soil and leaf samples from Tassie to WA.
Our lab is a Federal Govt approved Quarantine Receiving Station but that is only valid for stuff coming into WA from outside Oz.

So I ask, "What about if we send the samples outside OZ and then bring them into WA?"
"Yeah no problem", so I have a choice of sending them via NZ!! or pay a fat annual fee for the privilege of getting an interstate permit.
It also makes a mockery of the samples we get from overseas that come from overseas to WA via Tassie!

John Saxton
18th August 2009, 09:22 PM
Shed, sorry to hear about your misfortune with the timber confiscation ya gotta wonder about those so called bureaucracies in place.

Mike & Sandra who are Misan timbers over in Burnie,(they trade timber and have a web-site called Misan) just recently moved back to Tassie from W.A. with container loads of timber mostly dressed DAR.Wonder how they got on.!!

Bought a heap of stuff off of them before they left ...very reasonable.

Also have brought in timber from NZ for woodturning with no problems as long as it shows it has no infestation which is fair enough

Cheers:)

dai sensei
18th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Crap :o:~ All that beautiful Qld timber being used for firewood :doh:

I should have thought about that, bark is often a problem, didn't realise you went through quaranteen. I have taken wood back from tasi on the plane without a worry, through out the world actually, but always bark off and bug free.

Even Customs allow fumigating I thought. They should have allowed you to keep that silky bit I gave you, no bark or bugs :?

Shedhand
19th August 2009, 08:53 AM
Crap :o:~ All that beautiful Qld timber being used for firewood :doh:

I should have thought about that, bark is often a problem, didn't realise you went through quaranteen. I have taken wood back from tasi on the plane without a worry, through out the world actually, but always bark off and bug free.

Even Customs allow fumigating I thought. They should have allowed you to keep that silky bit I gave you, no bark or bugs :?Hey mate, I forgot, they let me keep the silky (big of them). Misal would have no trouble as the container load had DAR timber ( no bArk).

dai sensei
19th August 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey mate, I forgot, they let me keep the silky (big of them).

Next time we will trim it all back to solid wood.

Keep the chin up mate