PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine

jnine
18th August 2009, 01:28 PM
Two questions today... There is a norfolk pine at the house we just purchased in a seriously silly spot that I am going to get rid of. Does anyone want/need any timber? I don't have any use for it myself apart from woodchips (which I do actually need...).

Also, the quote to remove it and grind out 2 grevilia stumps (they had termites :no:) and a clump of palm stumps is just short of $600. Does this sound reasonable?

Rum Pig
18th August 2009, 02:18 PM
The pine tree looks a bit small some sizes might help to catch someone interest:wink:

And depending on the sizes I would $600 was a lot to pay you can buy a lot of seasoned timber for 6 big ones so you might need to be a bit flexible on price but defently more pic and size should get some one interested:2tsup:

Good luck:2tsup:

RETIRED
18th August 2009, 03:05 PM
Also, the quote to remove it and grind out 2 grevilia stumps (they had termites :no:) and a clump of palm stumps is just short of $600. Does this sound reasonable? Yep.

Texian
18th August 2009, 03:11 PM
Hey J.,
Maybe you could find some nearby turners to cut down that NIP in return for some of the wood. That would leave you with just stumps to grind, which should be much less $$. The quote you got seems excessive to me unless the conversion to US$ is about 2:1.

And might indeed recover some of the cost through sale of the wood. NIP is well liked by some turners.

Hickory
18th August 2009, 03:17 PM
I love the NIP, not for the wood (which is very interesting) but for the beauty of the tree. So sad it won't grow here... :((

Rum Pig
18th August 2009, 03:32 PM
Also, the quote to remove it and grind out 2 grevilia stumps (they had termites :no:) and a clump of palm stumps is just short of $600. Does this sound reasonable?
Oops miss understood the question sorry :B it must have been those lunch time rums:; it does sound about right but would pay to get a second or third opinion. You never know there maybe someone out there desperate for work and is willing to do it cheaper for you:)

jnine
18th August 2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a friend who could cut it down for me, but it would mean no insurance - which is a bit of a worry as it's close to our house, the neigbours house, a fence, and powerlines! It's not the biggest tree, but the trunk would be around 1.5 feet across.

I agree that it is a nice tree, but not where it's planted. Eventually would like to get rid of as many of the non-natives and plant flowering native trees and shrubs (we are extremely lucky at the number of wild birds in the area)

NeilS
18th August 2009, 05:55 PM
I have a friend who could cut it down for me, but it would mean no insurance - which is a bit of a worry as it's close to our house, the neigbours house, a fence, and powerlines!

If they cut the branches off as they climb up, just leaving enough to form steps on which to climb up, and then progressively cut it from the top down in very short lengths, they should manage OK. You can get quite accurate at dropping short lengths at a safe spot on the ground after you find your range.

Just remember that green wood is full of water and just as heavy!

Neil

dai sensei
18th August 2009, 08:18 PM
Makes really good turning blanks for bowls as the branch wood goes all the way to the centre of the main trunk. Green timber also lends itself to beautiful spalting. Best for turning is cut the branches off near the trunk, then cut the trunk half way between the branch clumps.

I for one would really love some if the wood is still on offer :please2:.

derekh
18th August 2009, 08:47 PM
I live nearby in Narangba so I could be available to help do the cleanup in return for some wood (enough for me and Dai Sensi). I have chainsaw and trailer but I wouldn't be prepared to drop the tree.

Derek

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2009, 08:55 PM
It's not often that I wish I was living further north... :C

nalmo
18th August 2009, 09:01 PM
I'd spend the money to get it done properly the first time. Professional tree removers have insurance for a very good reason. Getting someone to do it for nothing might end up costing you a hell of a lot more. Unless, of course, if you want the side of the house and/or fence demolished too.

joe greiner
18th August 2009, 11:00 PM
Quotes for removal should include a fee for carting the remains to a disposal site. Roughly US$250 per truckload around here. Ask for separation of the cost components, with the option to leave some of the remains on site. Win, win, win for all. Especially woodturners who'd love to get some of the trunk.

Cheers,
Joe

robyn2839
18th August 2009, 11:50 PM
could you put me down for some as well , i am near you caboolture area......bob

artme
20th August 2009, 03:17 AM
It's not often that I wish I was living further north... :C

What wonderland do you occupy Skew:?:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Stef
20th August 2009, 08:32 AM
I have just been given a full size NIP and dont need all of it, im 2hrs from Melbourne in country Vic. If any of the members want some then get in contact with me and we can work out some way for pick up.

Cheers Stef.

rsser
20th August 2009, 08:38 AM
NIP is IMO remarkably stable when green turned to finish.

But take care to avoid bluestain.

RETIRED
20th August 2009, 01:54 PM
Welcome back Ern.

rsser
20th August 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks .

Just a quick visit before a week on two planks on the High Plains.

Send her down Huey! In solid form preferably; water skiing is no fun without a tow vehicle :(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2009, 03:07 PM
Snow-chains on the 'blade? Nar, doesn't quite work, does it?

rsser
20th August 2009, 03:39 PM
Spikes :D