PDA

View Full Version : Learning from mistakes

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 05:27 PM
I was pretty stoked to discover a way to make captive rings without a captive ring tool - so I put my first captive ring on the stem of this... whatever it is.

Started out to be a roundish box with a stand and a bead in the middle of the stand. I decided the bead should be a captive ring instead. Then I realised it looked like a goblet, so changed the design of the top.

The problems.

1. The lid and body didn't jam chuck real well - so I put a piece of tissue between them.

2. That caused another problem. The polish grabbed the tissue, and when I found a huge crack in the wood that caught, the bottom spun in the top, which caused enough heat to cause the paper to weld itself to the wood. hmmm icky.

finished it off without too many more problem - have to try and get the paper off later.

3. jam chucked the lid (I'm such a good girl!) and turned the top. Did such a great job at the jam chuck couldn't get it out again. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the jam chuck, carefully, and stuck a file through and pushed. Nope, it's stuck. Rested the edges of the jam chuck in a corner, hit the end of the file gently with a hammer...

It came out. Has a nice scar in the inside middle.

4. somehow I've managed to wear away more of the top then the bottom - which leaves a huge lip. Shen.

I could make a really long jam chuck, chuck the body and fix both the stuck paper and the lip. But I'm more inclined to put it to one side and start again, without making the same mistakes.

You can see where I was aiming though. And you have to admit, the captive ring is cute (skew chisel in case you were wondering)

Ozkaban
18th August 2009, 05:59 PM
Nice one! Impressive that you managed a captive ring with a skew. Did you hagve to do much sanding on the inside of it?

What is the wood? Also, what is the black ring between the lid and box?

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 06:04 PM
I should have done more sanding on the inside of it before I broke it free. Another thing to remember for next time.

The wood is maple. The black ring is also maple - and that is thanks to . I have a feeling though that is also the reason they no longer match up - I think I shrunk it.

See, told me that to get a high gloss you use the shellawax (I use glow) and rub it *finger burninginly hard*

I'm a good girl, I do as I'm told, and I found that if I padded the glow with enough kitchen towel so that my fingers didn't get burnt, I could, instead, burn the wood. I did it on a rosewood bowl and it worked well, so I tried again here. The black is solid, and because I gave it another coat of polish and didn't rub so hard the second time, it's also shiny.

But I think it shrunk...

kdm
18th August 2009, 08:06 PM
The black ring trick is neat. I'm kinda surprised that the kitchen towel didn't burst into flames though :o

ElizaLeahy
18th August 2009, 08:21 PM
When my fingers start to smoke I know it's hot enough ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th August 2009, 08:51 PM
It's a good way to remove fingerprints, too. (Yours, not the ones on the wood. :p)

joe greiner
18th August 2009, 10:48 PM
Nice work, Eliza. And an excellent attitude about mistakes.:2tsup:

Fingerprints grow back, eventually. BTDT.

Cheers,
Joe

jefferson
18th August 2009, 11:18 PM
Eliza - slow down a little!!! PLEASE.

In the space of (maybe) 2 months, you are trying (and managing pretty well too I might add), to turn finials, captive rings..... You are in such a hurry. :D:D

It's the old Rome story, isn't it? Surely?

Please turn for us just one simple but well decorated box before the end of the month. The best you can turn. No finials, no captive rings, just your best guess at what looks great. Or copy one that is difficult to turn - at least that's what I've been trying to do for a few weeks.

I just can't keep track of the first or last box you did, they are coming so fast. :) You've probably done another before I get to post this message.