PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had more timber than this!

eisbaer
18th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

Well I finally got around to cleaning up the garage and put in some shelves to store things on. Could have sworn I had a lot more wood than this... but that said I didn't realise how much space pen blanks take up :oo:. I had to build an extra shelf for them (it's the one that's bowing... :rolleyes: until I can be bothered putting an extra support under it).

Anyway I thought I'd share it with you all (the picture, not the wood!:p) because my wife just doesn't get it at all! :C

Eisbaer

rodent
19th August 2009, 02:13 AM
Now don't worry you will get more . Just start building shelves now and put extra support in all the shelves . Look around for shelving suppliers that sell ex factory shelving . Do it now do it fast before you get buried in wood with no work shop space .No joke .Ps I have about 5-8 times that in pen blanks and about 1 ton of wood in the shed with no where to put it .

eisbaer
19th August 2009, 09:32 AM
thanks for the tip :) i do have more timber than that but it's piled up on the other side of the garage. I have no idea what it is or if it's any good for turning yet. It looks kinda like alder. Gonna run it through the bandsaw and see what it's like.

artme
20th August 2009, 03:14 AM
Ah yes, the dsappearing timber stocks. Amazing what you donīt have..

Rum Pig
20th August 2009, 08:58 AM
Ah yes, the dsappearing timber stocks. Amazing what you donīt have..
I dream of the day now that my arborist has realised it is cheaper to dump his trees on my block I can not keep up:~:U:U

eisbaer
20th August 2009, 11:25 AM
if i didn't live in a townhouse and have only a garage for storage/workspace i'd have more. When i see huge slabs of nice timber i resist buying them not because of the money but because of the lack of storage.

Rum Pig
20th August 2009, 12:09 PM
if i didn't live in a townhouse and have only a garage for storage/workspace i'd have more. When i see huge slabs of nice timber i resist buying them not because of the money but because of the lack of storage.
You can store them at my place:U

ElizaLeahy
20th August 2009, 02:12 PM
shelves for timber, that's a concept...

hmmm, but where would I put the shelves? LOL

eisbaer
20th August 2009, 05:37 PM
i've run into the problem that there aren't enough shelves for the pen blanks. They way i see it, i have 3 options:

1. Make some pens.
2. Make an extra shelf
3. Sell some of the blanks. Or give some away ;)

I'm keen to make some more pens. In fact i'm keen to turn some more stuff of any kind. Problem is getting rid of all the stuff i've turned when i run out of room for that too :) i can only give so many gifts away. I'm thinking it's time for a market stall. Ironically i only want more room so i can fill it with more stuff. There's always more tempting timber out there.

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2009, 10:45 PM
I know of a sure way to stop that shelf bowing as it is ...

send two thirds of the blanks to me :2tsup:

I can assure you That I'll give them a good home :D

eisbaer
21st August 2009, 12:14 AM
i've gone through and sorted out the blanks best as i can and there are indeed giveaways in there. Nothing fancy. Mostly wood that i can't identify or that isn't overly impressive. I'm gonna try to organise myself before the show in november and i'll take a big bag of them to give out to fellow forumites if anyone is interested. There's some ok stuff in there but probably best reserved for practicing finishing techniques or something similar.

issatree
21st August 2009, 01:18 AM
Hi Eisbaer,
I've found if you put a piece of dowel or just a bit of wood between each shelf, in the centre, it works fine.

So to all around Geelong Vic. area, I have at my disposal,
APPLE BRANCHES, GREEN & WET, cut yesterday 20/8/09 maybe up to 2 1/2 in.- 65mm.
PM me or what ever.

Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

eisbaer
21st August 2009, 09:07 AM
thanks isatree. That's the plan :) plenty of pine laying around for such things.

Grumpy John
21st August 2009, 09:17 AM
I made the mistake of not allowing enough support when I made my timber storage shelves and they bowed like crazy. A few pine offcuts soon solved the problem :D.

RETIRED
21st August 2009, 09:18 AM
Bloody show off.:D

eisbaer
21st August 2009, 09:53 AM
if you want showing off i'll get a photo of my father's wood pile. It's about the size of my whole garage.

wheelinround
21st August 2009, 10:03 AM
I made the mistake of not allowing enough support when I made my timber storage shelves and they bowed like crazy. A few pine offcuts soon solved the problem :D.

he's only showing off what he hasn't finished slack isn't he all those half finished bowls. Spending to much time on the forum eh GJ:;

Grumpy John
21st August 2009, 12:53 PM
he's only showing off what he hasn't finished slack isn't he all those half finished bowls. Spending to much time on the forum eh GJ:;

They're rough turned bowls going through the "drying" process :-. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:.

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2009, 09:48 PM
I think we should organise a mass raid of GJ's storage
he obviously needs more room and I think we can help out :D