Pages : [1] 2

Cliff Rogers
20th August 2009, 10:12 PM
The application form is available on the web site. :2tsup:

http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/CurrentTurnout.html

Alastair
21st August 2009, 11:36 AM
Cliff

Would love to come, but in the midst of renovating, so time and $$$ at a premium.

Bugger

Calm
21st August 2009, 12:13 PM
The application form is available on the web site. :2tsup:

http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/CurrentTurnout.html

Cliff what is the accomadation you booked for us like and which airport are you picking us up from.:q:q:q:2tsup:

Not sure if , Dj, Skew, Rsser or others have received their tickets but surprised mine weren't in todays mail??:?:?:no::no:

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
21st August 2009, 02:36 PM
You are in the Couch Grass Motel (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-20.364296,148.393811&t=h&sll=-20.401636,148.581496&sspn=0.041835,0.06403&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-20.364443,148.394094&spn=0.014786,0.01929&z=16), get a lift with KenW.

I'll see ya there. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
5th September 2009, 10:29 AM
:bump:

Come on troops, roll up roll up, we have a few active members going now. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
5th September 2009, 12:48 PM
missed it last year...gonna' miss it again this year...bummer :~

RETIRED
5th September 2009, 06:46 PM
I am coming up so if any turners want to organise a get together along the way I will post up where we will be when.

dai sensei
5th September 2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry Cliff, all my spare cash is going on Fiji & Melb at the end of this month.

- are you driving or flying? Welcome for a BBQ here if driving via the Gold Coast/Bris

RETIRED
5th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Driving up the middle and home via coast to Sydney, then a demo at Wodonga then home.

Will try to elaborate on dates later.

dai sensei
6th September 2009, 10:08 AM
Bed, food, workshop and timber here for you to use anytime :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2009, 10:58 AM
I am coming up .....
:2tsup:

So can I bring you something from Longreach too, I going out there next weekend?

TTIT
6th September 2009, 05:53 PM
Driving up the middle and home via coast to Sydney, then a demo at Wodonga then home.

Will try to elaborate on dates later.Still at the same address here :;. You're welcome to park the camper in the driveway if your timing a stop here :2tsup:

jefferson
6th September 2009, 07:40 PM
TTIT,

have a good supply of tea bags ready to go...... :D

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2009, 07:52 PM
Bags or bales?

Old Croc
9th September 2009, 02:33 PM
Cliff, did you remember my piece of Dead Finish?:2tsup:
, do you have any requests for timber for Prossie?
Why would anyone go to Fiji, unless you can get some Ebony?
Other than that see you all there,
Crocy.:D

Cliff Rogers
9th September 2009, 10:10 PM
Going tomorrow morning.
Also getting some for Ken.

Would you like a piece of Boree too. :D

KenW
9th September 2009, 11:26 PM
I am coming up so if any turners want to organise a get together along the way I will post up where we will be when.
You will have to work out the dates, see if we're traveling at the same time. I'm heading up the middle to Prossie and then down the coast to Brisbane.
Cliff will have to stop telling people about Prossie, or else there will be more Mexicans than Queenslanders.

KenW
9th September 2009, 11:29 PM
Going tomorrow morning.
Also getting some for Ken.

Would you like a piece of Boree too. :D
If you find a large Deadfinish, standing dead, put my name on it.

Cliff Rogers
10th September 2009, 08:23 AM
If you find a large Deadfinish, standing dead, put my name on it.
I was actually going to cut it down & bring it but if that is what you want, I'll put your name on it, white paint or gold? :D

KenW
11th September 2009, 12:02 AM
I was actually going to cut it down & bring it but if that is what you want, I'll put your name on it, white paint or gold? :D
What ever colour makes it stand out from the others in the trailer.

RETIRED
11th September 2009, 07:47 AM
I was actually going to cut it down & bring it but if that is what you want, I'll put your name on it, white paint or gold? :DPolka dots would look good.:D

Old Croc
11th September 2009, 02:01 PM
Cliff, Boree, no too hard, got the buy of the year yesterday, picked up 1.5 tonne of 100yr old Oregon in large sections, :D:D:D(seller took pity on me and almost gave it away) :2tsup:so woodturning is off the agenda for a while and boxmaking is the go.
Ken W, there is approx 100 to 300Kg of Burdekin Plum in that stack for you,found some more, still no Red Lancewood though,
Crocy.

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2009, 01:53 PM
OK, we have some dead dry stuff that was still standing with most of the bark on, very pretty inside, ready to turn now.

We also have some that was still growing with dead stuff through it, most of it was hollow but some of it is cut, sealed & loaded, also has very good colour & features in it.... yellow brown, pink & some black rings.

We have also cut a good big healthy one & it has good colour too but it will take a while to dry.

Tomorrow I'll get a bit of Boree.

dai sensei
13th September 2009, 02:38 PM
I see I am going to have to plan a holiday out bush next year and get some of that Dead Finish, got to be my favourite.

Do you go out that way often Cliff? Do you know the property owners, or just grab what you can?

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2009, 09:46 PM
I see I am going to have to plan a holiday out bush next year and get some of that Dead Finish, got to be my favourite.

Do you go out that way often Cliff? Do you know the property owners, or just grab what you can?
My Mum & Dad live here, they own the place.
This is the 2nd time I've been here this year but I normally only come every couple of years.

dai sensei
13th September 2009, 11:02 PM
Looks like I need to convince you to visit more often :rolleyes::U:U

Have fun at Turnout

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Anybody ever seen a burl on a Dead Finish?

KenW
14th September 2009, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=
Ken W, there is approx 100 to 300Kg of Burdekin Plum in that stack for you,found some more, still no Red Lancewood though,
Crocy.[/QUOTE]
Not long before we are heading to NQ with an empty trailer. I always have room for Burdekin Plum.

jefferson
14th September 2009, 07:07 PM
Cliff, please make sure you keep a few prime pieces marked in RED to put into Ken's trailer for me. I have a 20kg limit on the plane, so fill the tandem up to the rafters. :D:D:D

Ouch, I forgot the V8 petrol bill for Ken's Land Cruiser. :wink:

After meeting some of the guys at Phillip Island, there seems to be quite a few of us coming up......

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2009, 08:13 PM
Jeff, there is plenty, some dry, some fresh, & maybe, fingers crossed, there will be some burl as well.

dai sensei
14th September 2009, 09:11 PM
Are you saying red lancewood burl :tongueroll:

Got to be worth a bit, you may want to save it for yourself, or a trip next year at least :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2009, 09:58 PM
Are you saying red lancewood burl :tongueroll:

Got to be worth a bit, you may want to save it for yourself, or a trip next year at least :rolleyes:
Not sure what Red Lancewood is.
This is what we call Dead Finish out here.
My bro knows where there are 2 with burls on them.
My uncle has taken one burl to try for pens.

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2009, 10:02 PM
Yup, same stuff. :2tsup:

Dead Finish Archidendropsis basaltica

Red Lancewood Archidendropsis basaltica

KenW
14th September 2009, 10:35 PM
Anybody ever seen a burl on a Dead Finish?
No, but I'd like too.

TTIT
15th September 2009, 10:52 PM
Anybody ever seen a burl on a Dead Finish?Looking, loooking, looooooking................... :no:

jefferson
15th September 2009, 10:58 PM
I'll start the bidding at $300. I have it in mind for a friend that can turn a little.... :D

RETIRED
15th September 2009, 11:38 PM
I am coming up so if any turners want to organise a get together along the way I will post up where we will be when.Will be leaving Melbourne about the 21st and heading up to Proserpine via Kidman Way and then cut across to Emerald to see Vern and then via Nebo.

Will leave Proserpine on Sunday afternoon or Monday travelling via coast to call in on friend near Coffs Harbour, then to Sydney to arrive in Albury-Wodonga for Friday to do Demo on Sat and Sun. then home.

jefferson
15th September 2009, 11:45 PM

we'll see you up there. I hope you catch up with a few forumites along the way up and back. (Hosts be warned. likes many, many cups of tea). :D

Custard tarts and cream will be waiting for you when you and Julie arrive on the Friday here in Kiewa.

A two-day demo in Wodonga? That would test anyone. Can I cut up some blanks or something to save you carting stuff all over the country?

I'll get the local TV people over too, just to show someone using the skew to its full potential.

RETIRED
15th September 2009, 11:47 PM
Not so much a demo but a workshop. Timber will be right thanks Jeff.

Cliff Rogers
16th September 2009, 10:00 AM
I now have 3 burls from a Dead Finish & there are some left on the 2 trees my brother knows of.

I have 2 small ones & a big one.

100mm x 100mm x 80mm 0.6Kg
150mm x 130mm x 70mm 1.1Kg
500mm x 350mm x 200mm Approx 25Kg (Too heavy for the small scales)

jefferson
16th September 2009, 12:41 PM
Sold already to Ken W no doubt! :rolleyes:

If not, I'll put a bid in for him. PM me Cliff and we'll work out a price. I owe Ken big-time and I know he loves Dead Finish.

Cliff Rogers
16th September 2009, 02:37 PM
Sold to nobody at all.
I wasn't actually planning on selling any, I am giving it away the logs but have no idea what to do with the burls yet.
They really would suit pen turners the best I think & I don't turn pens.

My wife wants me to make a bowl out of the big burl but that would be a waste of rare timber.

Of the logs, not the burls, the following is already committed.
Old Croc has a fresh log.
Ken has 2 dry logs (& a fresh one if he wants it.)
There are 3 bits left.
2 fresh ones about 160mm diameter.
1 damaged dying branch about 100mm diameter.
The top of the branch was wind damaged so the timber has some extra 'features' in it.

If you can get Ken to take it home for you, you can have a log too.

jefferson
16th September 2009, 03:08 PM
Cliff, I'll take whatever is left over. As for the burls...... No pen blanks, that would be a waste IMHO. Let WWW have a look at them and see what he reckons.

I have a 20kg limit with Virgin, but will try to bring some back with us.... :D

TTIT
16th September 2009, 06:12 PM
Will be leaving Melbourne about the 21st and heading up to Proserpine via Kidman Way and then cut across to Emerald to see Vern and then via Nebo........................:2tsup:

dai sensei
16th September 2009, 08:39 PM
Got any photos of the burls Cliff, I love to drool :U

, how much of a hurry are you on the return trip, got time for a BBQ on the Gold Coast? Can talk more when I get down to Melb in a few weeks.

KenW
16th September 2009, 09:32 PM
:2tsup:
Vern, do you mind if another couple of Mexicans drop in for a visit. The wife and I pass through Emerald on the way to Prossy each year. We stay just up the road at Capella. I would like to say hello and have a look at your egg collection.

KenW
16th September 2009, 09:35 PM
I now have 3 burls from a Dead Finish & there are some left on the 2 trees my brother knows of.

I have 2 small ones & a big one.

100mm x 100mm x 80mm 0.6Kg
150mm x 130mm x 70mm 1.1Kg
500mm x 350mm x 200mm Approx 25Kg (Too heavy for the small scales)
Before you give them away, can I have a look at a Dead Finish Burl. The two smaller burls would make a nice boxes.

KenW
16th September 2009, 09:40 PM
Sold to nobody at all.

Of the logs, not the burls, the following is already committed.
Old Croc has a fresh log.
Ken has 2 dry logs (& a fresh one if he wants it.)
There are 3 bits left.
2 fresh ones about 160mm diameter.
1 damaged dying branch about 100mm diameter.
The top of the branch was wind damaged so the timber has some extra 'features' in it.

If you can get Ken to take it home for you, you can have a log too.
I will make room for a log for Jeff, and any others that you can't find a home for.

RETIRED
16th September 2009, 10:21 PM
Got any photos of the burls Cliff, I love to drool :U

, how much of a hurry are you on the return trip, got time for a BBQ on the Gold Coast? Can talk more when I get down to Melb in a few weeks.Yep and Yep.:D

Cliff Rogers
16th September 2009, 11:22 PM
Got any photos of the burls Cliff, I love to drool :U....
I'll post some in a couple of days, I'm off to Bamaga tomorrow, I might be back Friday & I might not. :cool:

TTIT
17th September 2009, 05:07 PM
Vern, do you mind if another couple of Mexicans drop in for a visit. The wife and I pass through Emerald on the way to Prossy each year. We stay just up the road at Capella. I would like to say hello and have a look at your egg collection.No wucka's :U - PM launched.

jefferson
17th September 2009, 06:16 PM
Vern, that's a nice gesture. I'd sure like to see the egg collection too, but we are flying to Prossie.

Helen is lovely, you'll like her for sure.

Not so sure about the Weird and Wonderful. As someone else said, he's alright from the torso up to his neck. :D

I suggest you obtain some petrified wood and ask him to turn it...... :wink: Otherwise, feed him some chillis for breakfast.

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm going back to Longreach again this week to help with the cattle work.

I'll get some more dead finish while I'm there.

jefferson
5th October 2009, 07:38 PM
Cliff,

I haven't got much wood to send up to you other than redgum.

What sizes did you want? Plenty of 4 by 4s for boxes, plus slab material out to 2 inch by mabe 24 inch. Not deep enough for a decent platter I'm told. Maybe some bowl material (if I get down to the yard between now and Friday! :rolleyes:)

The brother Dave chopped down a 40 year old photia robusta which I sealed with PVA. Nice red colour throughout, but it will take some time to dry.

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm easy, I don't mind big shallow platters.

24" x 2" works for me.

I won't say no to some 4" x 4" either.

jefferson
5th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Cliff, I'll cut some up and take down to Melb for WWW to bring up to you.

No idea how to transport / wrap them. Any ideas? Pieces will probably be in the back of the trailer.... :rolleyes: The natural edge slabs I can almost guarantee, KD from the mill. I can't vouch for the 4 by 4s though, the last KD lot cracked..... :(

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2009, 10:43 PM
If they are likely to crack, don't waste the space on the trailer, I'll settle for slabs. :2tsup:
Anything I cut I seal with log end sealer.... that way it doesn't crack until you get it home & cut it up. :D

Cliff Rogers
12th October 2009, 10:40 PM
I have another load of Dead Finish. :2tsup:
Cut fresh this arvo & sealed.
We head home tomorow after lunch.

Grumpy John
22nd October 2009, 12:04 PM
Note to , make sure the solar panels are adequately secured to the roof of the motor home before entering windy areas :whistling:.

RETIRED
22nd October 2009, 01:16 PM
:p

RETIRED
23rd October 2009, 10:47 AM
Well the best laid plans got shot to pieces.

We are leaving tonight or in the morning. Have to go via Narrabri to see someone and then on to Proserpine.

Back down the coast to Jeffs and Wodonga.

Behave yourselves.:D

powderpost
24th October 2009, 09:04 PM
Be nice to meet some of you Mexicans at Proserpine.... I think???? :U
Jim

jefferson
24th October 2009, 10:55 PM
Jim,

I'd be careful. You've probably met the Weird and Wonderful before, but wait till gets there..... :D Is the marque bullett-proof?

Some of Vic attendees will suffer with your humidity (but not heat). Just make sure the VB supply is "long and strong".....

Really looking forward to it. Both of us.

powderpost
24th October 2009, 11:11 PM
Met the little bloke before.... even got a spare razor for anyone that needs it.. :whistling:
Jim

jefferson
25th October 2009, 09:25 AM
Jim, from memory, Jim Carroll insists that shaves before the WW Show, just a weeks ago. You won't recognise him.... :D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
25th October 2009, 09:49 AM
.... You won't recognise him.... :D:D:D
Not much anyway. :p

RETIRED
27th October 2009, 11:47 AM
I am nearly there.:D

Jim Carroll
27th October 2009, 12:24 PM
Dont worry if you dont recognise him you will certainly hear him.:oo:

Cliff Rogers
28th October 2009, 07:04 AM
One more sleep. :2tsup:

TTIT
28th October 2009, 08:51 AM
My offsider for the trip has had to go bury some poor bugger in Tamworth so I won't have a lathe with me now - does it matter?????:C

jefferson
28th October 2009, 11:19 AM
Vern, don't worry about the lathe..... just bring a quarter of your egg collection and I'll bore you for the entire weekend. :wink:

I'm not taking any tools with me either.

A good lesson from the Phillip Island event - don't turn as much (you can do that at home any time). Wander around and learn something, meet some new people......

Now Cliff, just a gentle reminder about our linen and fan.... Pretty please. :):):)

Ed Reiss
28th October 2009, 12:10 PM
Sure hope that someone will be taking a lot of pics to post so that those of us poor unfortunates that can't attend can at least see all the fun your having :C

Old Croc
28th October 2009, 04:45 PM
Ed,
you might be lucky, to get some, depends on how much real beer we drink, ie no VB. By the way, which side of NJ is hell, I visit some friends in Westchester Pa, and I did not think it was that bad, but for me it was as cold as hell, lol
Crocy:D

Cliff Rogers
29th October 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm packed, X-trail is dragging it's asre. :D

Jeff, I have packed sheets, blankets, pillows & towels for you.
I always bring a fan for the tent.
I'm sure you won't need to borrow it for the room 'cos the rooms have fans.

I have packed about a 1/2 a ton of Dead Finish & a couple of bits of Qld Maple.

There are 3 bits of Dead Finish that won't fit 'cos I have a passenger with a suitcase traveling as far as Townsville with me.

I have a lathe & a grinder & a ton of tools.

I also have my Guitar 'cos Glen from Innisfail is bringing his harmonica. :2tsup:

I'm off at about 6:30am, see ya. :)

Ed Reiss
29th October 2009, 11:54 AM
Ed,
you might be lucky, to get some, depends on how much real beer we drink, ie no VB. By the way, which side of NJ is hell, I visit some friends in Westchester Pa, and I did not think it was that bad, but for me it was as cold as hell, lol
Crocy:D

Crocy...it's cold in West Chester and this area cause we ain't in the tropics...but with the climate changes lately that might just happen sooner than later!!!

The reference to "hell" is Philly proper, and seeing as we live across the river from it...viola' "just this side of hell".

Next time your visiting your friends in WC, give me a holler, be happy to have you give me a visit also.

dai sensei
29th October 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm packed, X-trail is dragging it's asre....I have packed about a 1/2 a ton of Dead Finish & a couple of bits of Qld Maple.

Photos?

There are 3 bits of Dead Finish that won't fit ..

Just send those ones to me :U

rsser
30th October 2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I can help with the Dean Finish too :)

Jeff, get in to the ruck there for me.

BTW the stuff's called Acacia Tetragonophylla (= 4 angled leaves) in the Centre.

TTIT
2nd November 2009, 10:49 AM
First time I've been to a do like this so I dived in with the camera for a minute or two and then completely forgot about it for the rest of the weekend - too much to see, too many ears to chew etc, etc :B:U.
36 lathes and 60 or so blokes in a tent with a trailer full of wood, perfect weather, good food and Dave Dreschers mobile toy-shop parked right next to the tent - what more could a bloke ask for :shrug: :2tsup:.
Gordon Ward was flown over from WA and provided some good entertainment, on AND off the lathe :; :U.
The pro's like Ken (KenW), (!), Jim (PowderPost) and others were always available to help anyone that needed it. A bit of wood swapping going on around the utes and trailers. Shaving and dust flying everywhere - geez it was nice!
Of course Cliff had to go grabbin' the limelight by hammering a chunk of wood into his eye and having to go into Prossy to have it surgically removed but I'll let him tell ya's the full story :;:U:U
Easy to see why most of the crew keep going year after year - I reckon I'll be back next year :2tsup:
Some pics....
1. The tent.
2. The 'supplies' - more Mango and Leichardt than you could poke a stick at!
3. and Ken harassing Jefferson again :U
4. Cliff attacking some Brigalow.
5. Gordon in a rare moment without an audience.
6. A lathe-line.

TTIT
2nd November 2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I can help with the Dean Finish too :)

Jeff, get in to the ruck there for me.

BTW the stuff's called Acacia Tetragonophylla (= 4 angled leaves) in the Centre.It's actually archidendropsis basaltica Ern but I'm just picky with these things :;:U

rsser
2nd November 2009, 01:07 PM
Heheh, prob botanists themselves disagree.

I was going off one book and the labelling in two semi-arid botanic gardens: Pt Augusta and Alice. Mebbe there's regional variations in naming too.

Ed Reiss
2nd November 2009, 01:30 PM
Good man, TT for taking & posting the pics:2tsup:

wheelinround
2nd November 2009, 01:47 PM
First time I've been to a do like this so I dived in with the camera for a minute or two and then completely forgot about it for the rest of the weekend - too much to see, too many ears to chew etc, etc :B:U.
36 lathes and 60 or so blokes in a tent with a trailer full of wood, perfect weather, good food and Dave Dreschers mobile toy-shop parked right next to the tent - what more could a bloke ask for :shrug: :2tsup:.
Gordon Ward was flown over from WA and provided some good entertainment, on AND off the lathe :; :U.
The pro's like Ken (KenW), (!), Jim (PowderPost) and others were always available to help anyone that needed it. A bit of wood swapping going on around the utes and trailers. Shaving and dust flying everywhere - geez it was nice!
Of course Cliff had to go grabbin' the limelight by hammering a chunk of wood into his eye and having to go into Prossy to have it surgically removed but I'll let him tell ya's the full story :;:U:U
Easy to see why most of the crew keep going year after year - I reckon I'll be back next year :2tsup:
Some pics....
1. The tent.
2. The 'supplies' - more Mango and Leichardt than you could poke a stick at!
3. and Ken harassing Jefferson again :U
4. Cliff attacking some Brigalow.
5. Gordon in a rare moment without an audience.
6. A lathe-line.

Great photo Vern many thanks.
Just one Tent must have pinched it of a traveling circus lots of clowns stayed with it, and the Ring Master.

Mango looks great any chance of it heading south.

hasn't got his scythe or a gouge in his hand

Cliff nice to see your Jet looks a neat as mine, lamp looks familiar to, be warned those damn globes although terrific for light quality also cause lamp/sunburn I found working so close even at 500mm away.

Old Croc
2nd November 2009, 02:52 PM
Vern, trust you to post the first reply, sorry I did not get to say goodbye yesterday. There are so many story's, but I think Gordon Wards triple tool, the bowl gouge/skew/scraper, was the highlight of the weekend for me.We were hoping to get a group photo of all the Fourmites that were there, to show everybody, but when exploded that bowl, they all went gun shy:o
Anyway, catch you all next year,
Crocy.

TTIT
2nd November 2009, 04:36 PM
........... Mebbe there's regional variations in naming too.Many, many, many :C. Common names are the greatest possible tool for misleading the semi-educated. Names like Black wattle, Dogwood etc get used over and over, even within one region. I know of at least 6 species of wattle around here that the locals just call 'Black wattle'.
I've always been amazed at our lack of imagination in naming things in Oz - ever noticed when you're travelling around the bush how many times you cross 'Stony Creek', 'Deep creek', 'Five-mile creek' and 'Nine-mile creek' ?????? bloody dozens of 'em :;:U

rsser
2nd November 2009, 05:10 PM
Breakfast Ck, Camp Ck, Running Ck (which usually isn't any more) ....

So maybe we're talking about two or more 'Dead finishes'.

And there can be intergrading and hybridising. And reclassifying, like Eu becoming Corymbia.

The guide I tried to use in the field was A Guide to Inland Plants of Australia by Moore.

TTIT
2nd November 2009, 07:39 PM
Could be all sorts of reasons for the confusion Ern - one explanation I could give you would take take too long to tell here. Acacia Tetragonophylla is also known as Western Dead Finish up here - I think it's the one KenW prefers 'cos he reckons it holds it's colour better. Another cause for mix-up is that archidendropsis basaltica was once in the acacia genus - hence the other common name of Spearwood wattle - must have played up a bit and got the boot from that family :;:U . Just to mix it up a little more, it's also known as Purple Needlewood by the forestry guy's . . . . . . . . never ends!:C

dai sensei
2nd November 2009, 08:08 PM
Looks like everyone had a good time, one day I'll make it up there.

dai sensei
2nd November 2009, 08:11 PM
...Running Ck (which usually isn't any more)

The one down here is still. The bridges over it are known as Running Creek 1, Running Creek 2, ....., Running Creek 12 :oo::U

It's actually archidendropsis basaltica Ern but I'm just picky with these things :;:U

That's what I know it as. I also know Dead Finish as Red Lancewood

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2009, 08:56 PM

That'd be right, can't help himself can he, has to be the centre of attention :roll:

Hope he is healing well and has no long term effect from it

NeilS
2nd November 2009, 09:52 PM
Heheh, prob botanists themselves disagree.

I was going off one book and the labelling in two semi-arid botanic gardens: Pt Augusta and Alice. Mebbe there's regional variations in naming too.

Hmmm... saw the same mistake in the botanic gardens at Broken Hill, but will take Vern's nomenclature as more authoritative... :)

hasn't got his scythe or a gouge in his hand

Perhaps he was giving the scythe a rest after giving his hair and beard a light 'trim'....:U

Cliff Rogers
2nd November 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm back. :2tsup:

Yup, Red Gum chip stuck in the left eyeball, looked good against the white framed by the bloodshot veins. :D

Sorry, I didn't take a picture.... :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, I didn't take any pictures, if you weren't there, tough. :p

It was a very good weekend, the weather was the best it has every been.

I finished 5 items & stuffed a 6th one.

I swapped a pile of Dead Finish & some Qld Maple for some very nice bits. :2tsup:
Thank you Ken, Jeff, Vern, Glen, Croc & the Prossy turners, I am very happy with what I got for the weekend.

I have to Say sorry to Dave Dresher 'cos I didn't spend a single cent in his shop, all I did was drink half his bottle of port. :-

The bit of wood in my eye fell out as soon as the Doc put the Anesthetic drops on it.
He checked it out to make sure it wasn't too bad & gave me some Antibiotic drops for it.
I lost about an hour & a half of good turning time. :cool:

The worst accident of the weekend happened this morning as we were about to leave.
Glen from Innisfail was packing up his car & walked into a busted clothes line behind the dongers & opened up his forehead.
It didn't need stitches but he went home with a couple of big patches on his head.

I didn't get a pic of that either.

I also didn't take a picture of the Dead Finish burls before I gave them to Ken, you'll just have to wait til he does something with them.

We talked about getting a forum photo but that is all we did, it didn't happen either. :rolleyes:

One of the Prossy members took heaps of pics so we'll see if we can get some.

I can't wait til next year. :)

Cliff Rogers
2nd November 2009, 10:54 PM

Cliff nice to see your Jet looks a neat as mine, lamp looks familiar to, be warned those damn globes although terrific for light quality also cause lamp/sunburn I found working so close even at 500mm away.
That was the tidy side too. :D

That poor little lathe works flat out for 3 days a year. :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed any sunburn from the light, I worked next to it for about 16 hours over the weekend.

tea lady
2nd November 2009, 11:02 PM
but when exploded that bowl, they all went gun shy:o
Anyway, catch you all next year,
Crocy.

Ah! The traditional " exploding the bowl" bit.:rolleyes: He likes doing that. :D Will have to try and get there some time. Maybe I could hitch hike one year with another mexican.:cool:

Old Croc
3rd November 2009, 08:26 AM
For any Mexicans and others that want to fly in, Prossie has a good airport and one of us will gladly come down and pick you up, a 15min drive.
I now have a real dilemma for next year, my eldest girl told me last night she is going to get married in Townsville on the Wednesday before Turnout2010. I told her not to stuff anything up as I am leaving for Prossie on Thursday morning without fail, for the 10th Turnout.
Almost a moral dilemma, but the Turnout won.
Do we have fun at the Turnout? I forgot my towel, so Cliffie lent me one.
Where else can a real Aussie bloke walk around a campground with a PINK towel:doh:
Bit more to the timber story, Ken W, likes the Red Lancewood (AKA Eastern Deadfinish ) that I get from around Clermont as it stays red, and does not fade to a browner shade, like the Dead Finish that Cliffie got us from Longreach. Ahh the debate continues.
Crocy.

wheelinround
3rd November 2009, 09:15 AM
Cliff glad your eye is ok :2tsup::2tsup: so where were the safety glasses :;

The lamp can also urn the eyes .

Good to see you blokes have a ball thats what its all about.:2tsup::2tsup:

One year maybe.

Cliff Rogers
3rd November 2009, 09:44 AM
... so where were the safety glasses ....
I was wearing them.... check the picture again, the safety glasses are on my face & the sun glasses are on my head so my hat doesn't get sunburnt from the light bulb.
I can't turn without the glasses as they are also magnifiers & I can't see clearly without them.

It was a very windy weekend, the dust & shavings were blowing everywhere.
If you also check the pic again, you will also see that there is a fan right beside me to blow the dust/chips away as I turn but I still managed to get a bit up under the glasses.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/120954d1257119250-proserpine-turnout-2009-cliff.jpg

dai sensei
3rd November 2009, 10:21 AM
Good to hear your eye was Ok Cliff.

....the Red Lancewood (AKA Eastern Deadfinish ) that I get from around Clermont

So is there some where around there members can easily get some? I'm trying to organise a camping/collecting trip next year with a few members next winter, not much difference between Longreach and Clermont from here :-

Cliff Rogers
3rd November 2009, 11:30 AM
There is a Clermont Club but I don't know if any of the members are also active members here.

Vern might know.

wheelinround
3rd November 2009, 11:56 AM
I was wearing them.... check the picture again, the safety glasses are on my face & the sun glasses are on my head so my hat doesn't get sunburnt from the light bulb.
I can't turn without the glasses as they are also magnifiers & I can't see clearly without them.

It was a very windy weekend, the dust & shavings were blowing everywhere.
If you also check the pic again, you will also see that there is a fan right beside me to blow the dust/chips away as I turn but I still managed to get a bit up under the glasses.

I had noticed that Cliff thought you might have just popped them off for a mo.

I know what you mean my shed glasses will have to be changed soon getting harder to see ...........until Sue cleans them and it makes it better.

Fan's you have fans ............oh you mean ventilation type :;

Old Croc
3rd November 2009, 02:00 PM
Yes Cliffie has FANS, specially me, when he lent me a PINK towel,:D
As for the Red Lancewood, mine comes from Clermont to Malanda to Townsville to Prossie to Ken W. Sorry I cant help you, but I would be interested if we could get some,
regards,
Crocy