PDA

View Full Version : fence through the tree

Gingermick
20th August 2009, 10:56 PM
G'day
I have some fence to fix on my block (urban, unfortunately) and there is a white cedar with a trunk about 600 round just on the line orf the fence rails. I think I can notch a bit out of the tree and put the rail through, but the tree does lean toward my house which is about 5m from the boundary.
I'd probably have to take about a 100mm notch out of the tree (that side of the tree is about 10 to 15° to the vertical) and was wondering if that would be okay? It should be, that still leaves a good chunk of trunk. :?
Thanks

BobL
22nd August 2009, 07:50 PM
Whatever you do the tree will mess with your fence. If you only cut a small clearance notch the tree will occlude or end up pushing the rail. If you cut more clearance the tree will be weakened and may then fall onto the fence. If it was me I would leave the tree intact and make up some C shaped metal bracket that go around the tree with good clearance and connects up to the rails on either side of the tree.

weisyboy
22nd August 2009, 08:04 PM
when there is a tree on a line we canot cut down.
the best option is to place a post either side of it and stop the rails either side.
you can stick them pat the post close to the tree.
Then siply do wire around the tree between teh posts.

Old farmer
22nd August 2009, 08:58 PM
I might be repeating what weisyboy has said but do not quite understand his method.

When we have your problem, we put in a post each side of the tree, as close to the tree as the roots will allow, then extend the rails so that they finish some 150mms short of the tree. The rails are sufficiently long to be secured to two posts.

We do not use wire for this section.

weisyboy
22nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
pretty mutch the same we use wire as fencing contractors we have to be sure nothing can get out. and tehr is not a break in teh fence.

Gingermick
23rd August 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, we put a rail around the top and stopped it short on the bottom. Probably could have used three rails but we can add one in if it wears and I will be sold by that time :D
There is a picture of the old fence with brown hardwood palings that were rotting and being eaten.