PDA

View Full Version : An Attempt at something worth while

wheelinround
21st August 2009, 11:00 AM
Its well under way wood is Snow Gum two separate pieces combined to make one at basic shaping stage. I am not rushing this it has taken 5 days now with one design change mid stream already due to a blow out around a rim.:~

Hollowed insides out more yesterday haven't decided on finial or foot yet:roll:

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2009, 11:23 AM
Lolly jar

looking good - nice bit of timber

Ed Reiss
21st August 2009, 11:48 AM
Your gettin' there Ray...good philosophy not to rush it :2tsup:

Pat
21st August 2009, 12:03 PM
I am not rushing this it has taken 5 days now :roll:

Isn't that against the rules? :q

wheelinround
21st August 2009, 12:05 PM
Isn't that against the rules? :q

There's rules:o

wheelinround
21st August 2009, 12:07 PM
Lolly jar

looking good - nice bit of timber

Hum Smarties or M&M's are all that might fit and as i can't have either :rolleyes:

Pat
21st August 2009, 12:17 PM
Hum Smarties or M&M's are all that might fit and as i can't have either :rolleyes:

I can :U

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2009, 09:26 PM

You can always put them in there for when I visit!

wheelinround
22nd August 2009, 08:15 AM
You can always put them in there for when I visit!

Coming to get some wood are you Nick:rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
22nd August 2009, 09:14 AM

Rice crackers :)

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2009, 11:46 AM
Coming to get some wood are you Nick:rolleyes:

yeah:D
I heard you had too much
hmm I think Susan said I have too much :doh:

tea lady
22nd August 2009, 03:02 PM
Another box-er! :wave:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2009, 10:19 PM
:2tsup: Another one I'll have to keep an eye on.

wheelinround
23rd August 2009, 10:06 AM
Another box-er! :wave:

:boxing::boxing5:

Billy
23rd August 2009, 10:25 AM
g'day, :)
don't know if you remember me, we met at the toolsale, where you were telling me about using files to make turning tools.:rolleyes:
I seem to remember thinking they were too brittle but you said they weren't.
Was it you who said something about heating them up to remove the tempering?:?
I've got some files left over from the sale and thought I'd try making some tools from them. I'm only using a mid size lathe, mainly to make wheels but a couple of large tools to get from square/octagonal to round would save wear and tear on my good little chisels.:2tsup:
cheers, billy:fireman:
ps, go the mighty all blacks!!!:U

wheelinround
23rd August 2009, 11:01 AM
g'day, :)
don't know if you remember me, we met at the toolsale, where you were telling me about using files to make turning tools.:rolleyes:
I seem to remember thinking they were too brittle but you said they weren't.
Was it you who said something about heating them up to remove the tempering?:?
I've got some files left over from the sale and thought I'd try making some tools from them. I'm only using a mid size lathe, mainly to make wheels but a couple of large tools to get from square/octagonal to round would save wear and tear on my good little chisels.:2tsup:
cheers, billy:fireman:
ps, go the mighty all blacks!!!:U

G'day Billy yes was me.

Those files you had were to good to use as scrapers honest a bit of a clean up and they'll sell or be good as new a bit of citric acid and wire brush. ( I wish I had grabbed them) Oh and a handle turned up. Don't forget spokes work well and with a bit of forging they shape to what you want for mini tools.

Gary Pye have a Mini set (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146793&product_id=1107456637) for about $45 ideal or he now has a Micro set (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146793&product_id=1107445164)and a Midi set (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146793&product_id=1107445166) $54 I have this set and are quiet good.

I have some PDF some where on making Files into turning tools will do a look for it and see what I find. (no good for modern Chinese mad files) Its the heating colour and cooling thats important the one file I have which I use I have not heated. I never allow a great overhang as its used as a scrapper 1/2 round nose with a straight side to the left.

Ray

wheelinround
23rd August 2009, 03:33 PM
Yes a few disasters
A broken lip the lower section not mine,:B lost about 1/4" or more.

A stem break during turning & poor light at 5.30pm.:doh:

Anyway here it is Snow Gum ( A BIG OOPS EDIT) QLD Beech for the stem & Finial Macadamia Oil & Wax finish sanded to 1200.

Pat
23rd August 2009, 09:31 PM
Ray, very ornate. All I managed today was a bowl out of White Cedar, with a touch of spalting and a lot of tearout and a little bowl of Liquid Amber . . . I wait for it to crack:)

Good to see you are making use of the fine warm weather.

Sawdust Maker
23rd August 2009, 09:42 PM
Looks vaguely Christian - should be on a alter somewhere!

like the timber and the contrast looks interesting