PDA

View Full Version : Some bowl blanks fell on my house.

tea lady
21st August 2009, 07:27 PM
Got home from turning at 's to find a tree had dropped a rather big branch. Luckily only clipped the corner of the roof, but took out a couple of posts on the deck. Anyone know a decent builder?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2009, 07:35 PM
Depends on your definition of "decent." :innocent:

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2009, 09:35 PM
Couple of boxes there TL :U

Waldo
22nd August 2009, 12:48 AM
Damn.

:console:

thefixer
22nd August 2009, 03:05 AM
I've heard about this bloke down Tooradin way has a largish lathe. Perhaps he could turn up some new posts for you:D

Cheers
Shorty

Calm
22nd August 2009, 09:43 AM
I've heard about this bloke down Tooradin way has a largish lathe. Perhaps he could turn up some new posts for you:D

Cheers
Shorty

By the time the branch dries enough (1inch per year) both the builder and the turner might get ROUND TUIT:p:p:p

Tuff luck TL at least the damage was small - also didnt hurt the "purple" shed

Cheers

wheelinround
22nd August 2009, 09:54 AM
Hope all the Mexican forumites are ok after the storm busy of course cutting up tree's that have blown down around the neighbourhood :U

Glad all is ok TL shame it missed the purple shed it could do with a fresh coat it was fading

Grumpy John
22nd August 2009, 10:10 AM
On the plus side TL, if you've got a decent insurance company you'll probably get that mess cleaned up plus get some decent blanks out of it.

tea lady
22nd August 2009, 02:52 PM
On the plus side TL, if you've got a decent insurance company you'll probably get that mess cleaned up plus get some decent blanks out of it.:cool: I reckon so. Insurance assessor guy is coming today, and then they will send someone out to do the work. And our excess is only $100. :2tsup: And we'll end up with a pile if firewood and maybe some turning blanks. (Although branch wood will have some funny stresses going through it won't it? )

And purple shed is indeed unscathed.:cool2:

Calm
22nd August 2009, 04:11 PM
Whoever cuts the branches get them to cut them longer than they are diameter - this gives room to make bowl blanks and cut out any cracks starting to appear.

Cheers

tea lady
22nd August 2009, 05:46 PM
Whoever cuts the branches get them to cut them longer than they are diameter - this gives room to make bowl blanks and cut out any cracks starting to appear.

Cheers:2tsup: :think: wonder if I can convince a tree guy to cut them in half through the center? :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
22nd August 2009, 05:50 PM
When the arborist comes along to clean up the tree for you show him some of your turnings, you never know it might open up a new supply of fresh timber for you.

tea lady
22nd August 2009, 06:10 PM
When the arborist comes along to clean up the tree for you show him some of your turnings, you never know it might open up a new supply of fresh timber for you.:D Will do!:2tsup:

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 12:55 PM
Tree loppers came today and got the branch off the house and path. I think I might end up with some nice bowl.:cool: The branch has some fungus through it which is prolly why it fell off, but it also has some interesting black lines and grain in the big end. The center heart wood is very spongy though. I've sealed the ends, but will have to cut it off the heart wood soon. Some green bowel turning coming up I reckon. :cool::cool:

I've got quite a lot of it. Anyone want some? :cool:

Alsof anyone is interested in some firewood for next winter just PM.

NeilS
23rd August 2009, 03:55 PM
The branch has some fungus through it which is prolly why it fell off, but it also has some interesting black lines and grain in the big end.

Some green bowel turning coming up I reckon. :cool::cool:

Sounds like some nice spalted pieces coming up, TL. Yes, a good idea to start turning green earlier rather than later. Besides the other advantages of turning green, it will also reduce the development of blue stain, if you don't want that.

(Although branch wood will have some funny stresses going through it won't it? )

Yes, but that also means more interesting grain patterns.

Pleased to hear that the purple shed came through unscathed.

Neil

Ozkaban
23rd August 2009, 08:00 PM
That would turn into one monster finial :oo::oo::oo:

Glad to hear the shed is ok. Nice to have a silver lining on a tree coming down and damaging your house.

Cheers,
Dave

Farnk
23rd August 2009, 10:17 PM
Tree loppers came today and got the branch off the house and path. I think I might end up with some nice bowl.:cool: The branch has some fungus through it which is prolly why it fell off, but it also has some interesting black lines and grain in the big end. The center heart wood is very spongy though. I've sealed the ends, but will have to cut it off the heart wood soon. Some green bowel turning coming up I reckon. :cool::cool:

I've got quite a lot of it. Anyone want some? :cool:

Alsof anyone is interested in some firewood for next winter just PM.

Glad to hear the damage was minor, and good to see that you have some new blanks to play with. Not sure how you turn green bowels though, be a bit hard to mount on the chuck? Shark jaws maybe? :D

Looking forward to some roadside pickings following the recent winds. I've had great results just walking up to arborists, saying G'day and asking the question. Usually once they understand that you turn or carve the timber they are very keen to flick a few choice bits your way.

f

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 11:43 PM
Glad to hear the damage was minor, and good to see that you have some new blanks to play with. Not sure how you turn green bowels though, be a bit hard to mount on the chuck? Shark jaws maybe? :D

f:doh: :rolleyes: Take no notice of my tyops.:p

artme
24th August 2009, 03:31 AM
Tuff luck TL. But,as they say - itīs an ill wind........:2tsup: