PDA

View Full Version : A week away with WWW, and Calm

jefferson
21st August 2009, 11:21 PM
Nothing like a few days with the Masters (that doesn't include you, David) to get the turning engine going again.

Now, what will WWW (Wraight, Weird & Wonderful) and have in store for me.... :rolleyes: I don't mind either way. If only they could teach me how to turn. :doh: It's a big ask I know, but they will surely try (again and again). Poor buggers, I am a slow, nay, a very slow learner.

Sharp chisels though will be a great start. Damn on my Tormek! :((

The tool box is full, ready to go. Plus some firewood (Ken's assessment of redgum). And some stuff for 's platters.

After a few days of being humble and jittery, I get to spend some time with Calm in cold, cold Ballarat. And maybe a visit to Jim Carroll's store, which may be costly. :oo: Don't worry Jim, the credit card has plenty of credit (dunno about a new Stubby though!) I haven't told the wife yet, but I need (urgently) a swivel-head lathe with a short bed.

I figure I am 3 boxes behind schedule, but hopefully will make up for it this week.

I've got my son baby-sitting the shed while I'm away, so lurkers need not bother.... :D

tea lady
21st August 2009, 11:40 PM
but I need (urgently) a swivel-head lathe with a short bed.

:rolleyes: Need?

:think: Actually, I can understand that.:D I "need" a nice little yellow lathe that doesn't make so much noise that you can't here the radio.:C:rolleyes:

Calm
22nd August 2009, 09:58 AM
............................... And maybe a visit to Jim Carroll's store, ..........................

As the Yanks would say - a kid in a candy store -

Jim i am coming down Wed - Thurs or Friday next week and bringing the grasshopper with me, do we need to make an appointment, close the shop to the public, bring the trailer or just turn up.

As for other jobs, i have a stubby for entertainment, a farm that needs new cattle yards (about 40 or 50 postholes 2 foot plus deep) some existing fencing that needs some posts replaced, big moss covered boulders/rocks to dig out of the paddock, a house to restump, then maybe a game of golf or two ( i have both left and right hand clubs) just for a little 6km walk - yep by the time he gets back to Anne he will be a different bloke (probably a raving lunatic after spending a few days with me.:o:o:p:p)

As i saw in a movie - BRING IT ON - your welcome anytime Jeff

Oh yeah did i mention no smoking or drinking at my place.

Cheers

Jim Carroll
22nd August 2009, 10:00 AM
Calm we will be here all those days. Wednesday probably best as we are gearing up for the Canberra show.

The stubby is up and running

Jeff look forward to meeting you.

The kettle will be on.

Grumpy John
22nd August 2009, 10:18 AM
I haven't told the wife yet, but I need (urgently) a swivel-head lathe with a short bed.

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you just might find
You get what you need"
Jagger/Richards

Calm
22nd August 2009, 11:54 AM
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you just might find
You get what you need"
Jagger/Richards

What days are you home John - might do a round trip to Carrum and Resavoir.

Had anothrer thought - could do that on the Bike, Hold on Jeff:D:D:D:oo::oo:

Cheers

KenW
22nd August 2009, 10:21 PM
Calm we will be here all those days. Wednesday probably best as we are gearing up for the Canberra show.

The stubby is up and running

Jeff look forward to meeting you.

The kettle will be on.
Jim, are you still on your knees when you turn? You should have saved up for a Stubby, like us grownups use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2009, 10:39 PM
I've got my son baby-sitting the shed while I'm away, so lurkers need not bother.... :D

:sigh:

Jim Carroll
23rd August 2009, 11:10 AM
Jim, are you still on your knees when you turn? You should have saved up for a Stubby, like us grownups use.

All sorted now ken for us normal height blokes.

Might be in trouble when David And Jeff come down though as they breath that higher air.

artme
24th August 2009, 05:59 AM
As the Yanks would say - a kid in a candy store -

Jim i am coming down Wed - Thurs or Friday next week and bringing the grasshopper with me, do we need to make an appointment, close the shop to the public, bring the trailer or just turn up.

As for other jobs, i have a stubby for entertainment, a farm that needs new cattle yards (about 40 or 50 postholes 2 foot plus deep) some existing fencing that needs some posts replaced, big moss covered boulders/rocks to dig out of the paddock, a house to restump, then maybe a game of golf or two ( i have both left and right hand clubs) just for a little 6km walk - yep by the time he gets back to Anne he will be a different bloke (probably a raving lunatic after spending a few days with me.:o:o:p:p)

As i saw in a movie - BRING IT ON - your welcome anytime Jeff

Oh yeah did i mention no smoking or drinking at my place.

Cheers

Pity Iīm over here David. ( You do know where I am donīt you?):D:D:q
That sounds like my kinda place. Variety of od jobs and a good chance to work up a sweat and get really dirty.

jefferson
26th August 2009, 06:51 PM
David got me down to Jim's place after an urgent visit to the dentist. We arrived a little late but Irene sure had the billy on. Twice in fact, plus cake and biscuits. Thanks Irene.

A kid in a candy store....:rolleyes:

Got some "essentials" and some not. Sure hit the credit card hard though.

We also had a long look at the new swivel head Stubby. I will broach the topic with my spouse at the "right" moment. Isn't it Father's Day soon.....

I had to buy 2 chisels, as Calm is so tight that he doesn't have any tools for boxes. I should have brought mine with me, all razor sharp on the Tormek (thanks for the lessons Ken W). But the wife had taken them back to Kiewa. I should have known better. (No turning jackets here either :doh:).

Calm wouldn't buy a Tormek either - and I am tackling a super-hard fiddleback piece of redgum for a box at the moment for the Box Challenge. Another whack to the head. :doh:

But I did talk David into buying a detail gouge so I could hollow the box, so we may make a start tomorrow.

ElizaLeahy
27th August 2009, 08:09 PM
I want a swivel head stubby too!

Rum Pig
28th August 2009, 08:57 AM
I want a swivel head stubby too!
I also would love to have a look. Send it up when you are finished:U

Sounds like you lot are having a good time be it expensive for one of you:)