PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock reassembly

Tiger
22nd August 2009, 09:41 AM
On my MC900 clone I have dissassembled the tailstock to remove the slop. I have now tried to reassemble but the cam rod attached to the lever keeps sliding out. I thought there might be something to stop it from sliding out like a cotter pin but I can't see anything there. I have looked on the manual but that is useless as you can't make out the parts. Can someone shed some light on this please, perhaps a photo?

thefixer
22nd August 2009, 10:33 PM
On my MC900 clone I have dissassembled the tailstock to remove the slop. I have now tried to reassemble but the cam rod attached to the lever keeps sliding out. I thought there might be something to stop it from sliding out like a cotter pin but I can't see anything there. I have looked on the manual but that is useless as you can't make out the parts. Can someone shed some light on this please, perhaps a photo?

Should be a grub screw through the casting from under the tailstock. It goes into a groove in the cam to stop it from sliding out.

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
22nd August 2009, 10:51 PM
A picture in case you need it. Your grub screw should be a hex recess. mine fell out a long time ago and I had to make my own from a M5 ( I think) screw and cut a slot in it. It's a good idea to use some locktite to stop the bugger from falling out again.

Cheers
Shorty

Tiger
23rd August 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Shorty. I have a hole where the grub screw used to be. It was that which threw me. I found another grub screw which fit and tightened the cam in. Don't know for how long I operated without the grub screw but it only became a problem when I reassembled the tailstock.

Only thing is now that the screw rests on the groove, the lever is very close to the bed of the lathe. Would have liked the cam rod to be a little longer so that the tailstock lever clears the bed. Might build an extension, but that's a job for another time.