PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom soup

ElizaLeahy
22nd August 2009, 11:22 AM
I turned a mushroom this morning. They are somewhat more confusing then normal boxes, well, I found it to be anyway. I still have to get calipers, my ruler isn't doing the job and I'm having to go back and shape and reshape the flange.

KDM has kindly sent me some of the electrical stuff, so I'm waiting for that to finish the bottom. I tried to make a jam chuck, but the sloping sides of the mushroom was making me confused, so I stopped.

I think I'm just having a confused day.

I'll show photos after I take off the bottom.

Bob from Ningi gave me the bit of wood, I can't remember what it is, but it gave off a lot of orange dust. Interesting piece, and the bark stayed on!

I'm thinking of getting some spray adheasive to hit the bark with just to make sure.

Ed Reiss
22nd August 2009, 12:00 PM
...now youv'e got me confused :q:doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2009, 10:37 PM
You can apply cA to ensure thinnish bark stays on, but it also tends to change the colour of the nearby wood a bit as well. (Where it soaks in.)

This can look good, most people would only see a ring of slightly differently coloured wood next to the bark & assume that's just how the wood is.

Or, you can avoid the problem by using CA as the finish all over. It's easy enough, but takes a bit of practice to get right. The pen-turning forums have the subject pretty well covered. :;

Might be a good idea to practice it on some hairsticks first, before trying it on boxes.

ElizaLeahy
29th August 2009, 11:08 AM
I use blo/ca on my pens. I didn't on this mushroom, because I'd already finished the polishing.

Finally took the bottom off (the electrical wire stuff worked perfectly thanks!) and here are photos. I don't know what the wood is...

(Bob, what's the wood?)

I like mushrooms. Anyone with branches who wants to get rid of them, let me know, I'll make mushroom boxes out of them. Mega cuteness.

Mind you, I didn't do a real good job of hollowing this one.

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 11:36 AM
OK Eliza....that's neat :2tsup:

TTIT
29th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Cool :2tsup:

Tex B
29th August 2009, 10:40 PM
Wonderful. Mega cuteness is the perfect description!

Kudos.

Tex

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2009, 11:54 PM
magic mushroom :2tsup:

kdm
31st August 2009, 08:53 PM
Luvit :2tsup: I like the bark being on the top and bottom too.

Since it's an 'innie', maybe better not to have the ledge in the base, have a smooth line instead but I think that is what you meant by your comment about hollowing anyway.

ElizaLeahy
1st September 2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know, the cap sits on that ledge?

kdm
1st September 2009, 11:03 AM
The cap could sit on the rim of the box though couldn't it? Maybe not on this particular box but might be worth thinking about for the many more you'll no doubt make :;

My thinking is just that the lid of mushroom boxes end up pretty 'engineered' so it would be best if the base was not. However, Anthony Harris makes them like you have and he actually knows what he is talking about :-

artme
2nd September 2009, 11:21 PM
:oLike that!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
12th September 2009, 01:09 AM
Very nice:2tsup::2tsup:

You certainly have come a long way with your turning:2tsup::2tsup:

Now when do we get a WIP:)