PDA

View Full Version : Dumps in Adelaide

Pulpo
26th July 2004, 12:51 AM
I have some green rubbish [shrubs and tree prunning].

I went to the dump on Morphett Rd $50 for a caged trailer, regardless of content, by the looks.

I wont be going back there if I can help it.

Any "waste management centres" one can recommend?

Thanks

Pulpo

TOMARTOM
26th July 2004, 01:03 AM
I live in the mid north and I don't pay for rubbish as there is no collection and i just trailer rubbish every couple of weeks. If you go a little out of Adl (fuel an issue) you may find a refuse station that will dump a trailer for around $10. Or if you are willing to come up 120kms to where I live you can dump it for free (garden clippings) in the annual "bonfire" accross the road.
regards tony

jackiew
26th July 2004, 10:14 AM
for that price you'd be better off obtaining a shredder and producing your own mulch. Other option is to keep your eyes out for someone doing tree lopping with their own shredder unit and offering them cash to shred your stuff too.

I had a great hand operated shredder in the uk but I had to leave it behind :( as it was impossible to get all traces of greenery out and customs wouldn't have let it in ). Technically it was dead simple and could cope with most normal garden trimmings and surprisingly didn't require you to have arms like a gorilla to operate it.

himzol
26th July 2004, 10:41 AM
Pulpo,

I do know that Modbury council has a "green day" where you take such things as prunings and grass clippings and such and they don't charge. the only catch is that you have to prove that you live in the council district.

I know that my council could learn from this, we've only just had recycling bins issued this year. As for the price of dumping vegetation, well up where I am it's $21.50 for a 8'x5' tandem trailer. Considering I have about twenty trailer loads to dump I have chosen to hire a trailerable chipper for about $125 a day.

By the way, have you tried the Wingfield tips? I know a couple of years ago you could dump green matter for free if thats all you had, they mulch it and sell it through one of their depots.

Himzo.

Ian007
26th July 2004, 10:41 AM
i go to the dump at wingfield $25.00 for my workvan full will hold more than a 6x4 but a 6x4 is dearer, figure that i also have a large tip trailer that i go there with $50, every time i go there it seems to go up in price.

green waste should be cheap, call the council and ask them if the have free green waste dumping, i live in tea tree gully council area and they do free green waste dumping every second sunday

Ian

Ps I did a lot of work on that morphett road transfer station when it was built. my wedding ring is buried there, lost it when laying the fire hydrant pipes but i reakon i could find it to within 6 square meters if they didnt mind me digging up all the bitumen.

Barry_White
26th July 2004, 11:12 AM
It looks like SA could learn a bit from the councils in NSW. Most NSW councils allow all recycable material dumped for free provided it is sorted into different categories except for Batteries, Tyres and Refrigerators. These incur a cost to the council to get rid of them and to decharge the refrigerators of gas.

At our Tamworth Waste disposal depot they take all green waste for free and rapid compost it and sell it back to the rate payers at about $20 a trailer load. Some times they can't get enough green waste to keep up to the demand for the compost.

Pulpo
26th July 2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice so far.

I have been told the Marion council do not do green waste other than the wheelie bin every second week.

But I will check.

I am used to Sydney councils where green waste is much cheaper.

In Melbourne it also is considerably cheaper.

Have checked a few other places, no one seems to care if it's green waste, just the size of the trailer.

There is a biased towards larger cheaper.

Nor does there seem to be any concern for type of waste.

Caged trailer $25 6*4 would be reasonable not $50.

All other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pulpo

WISE
26th July 2004, 09:26 PM
On the subject of waste does anyone know of a reasonably priced refuse depot that will take old construction materials in the tea tree gully, salisbury,pooraka area, items like

6x4 trailer of slab concrete embedded with layer of cheap slate (no reinforcing)
old fibre cement concrete sheeting(type used for fences in surrey downs, may contain asbestos)

lash
7th October 2004, 10:56 PM
Does the botanical gardens take green waste? I heard sometime ago that you could take a trailer of garden refuse (plant material) in and got some compost (or mulch ..?) in return.

himzol
8th October 2004, 09:46 AM
Does the botanical gardens take green waste? I heard sometime ago that you could take a trailer of garden refuse (plant material) in and got some compost (or mulch ..?) in return.

Lash,

Give it a shot, ring them and let us know. I still have a couple of umbrella trees to remove and would rather do a straight swap for mulch than have to chip it myself.
I wound up buying a bigger chipper/mulcher due to the size of block that I have. I always have branches falling from trees and prunings these are now chipped and put back around the tree/shrub that they came from. happy trees :D :D

Grunt
8th October 2004, 10:55 AM
Dumps in Adelaide

I always thought that the whole of Adelaide was a dump. :D:D:D

You need a lot of them to keep all them Premiership Cups.