PDA

View Full Version : Mutant

robbiebgraham
23rd August 2009, 12:28 PM
There is more carving in this piece than turning and it had it ups and downs in the design and some of the processes used in the making but I'm pretty happy in the result. I had intended to have this piece more like a mutant monster but this is how it ended up.<O:p</O:p
The vessel is turned out of green Rhododendron, which would dry and give me some distortion and look more organic. The stem is laminated Tawa, using strips just over 1mm thick and formed and clamped in a MDF pattern.<O:p</O:p
The leaf is recycled Jarrah, which once was a side of our unused waterbed and had kept to use one day. I had forgotten how dusty Jarrah was to work and my work shop was covered in red dust. I have laminated a strip of tawa through the centre. The vessel and the stem are air brushed it using acrylic paint. Comments and critique welcome.
Wood: Jarrah, Tawa and Rhrododendron.
length 750mm
http://www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz/woodturning/mutant6.jpg<O:p</O:p

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 12:41 PM
Hey! That's pretty special. :2tsup: The colour is a little too flat for me. I think I would have stained it so it still looked like it was made of wood. :shrug:

Sawdust Maker
23rd August 2009, 12:50 PM
absolutely amazing

robbiebgraham
23rd August 2009, 01:35 PM
Hey! That's pretty special. :2tsup: The colour is a little too flat for me. I think I would have stained it so it still looked like it was made of wood. :shrug:
Thanks, The paint on the vessel is only a wash and you can still see the grain. The piece is to go into a comp and it is a public vote, so thought if it stood out in colour rather than just be wood it would have more of a chance of winning but who knows:?
Robbie

skot
23rd August 2009, 01:41 PM
Great Work mutant,

About 3 years ago my wife was selling live Pitcher Plants at the weekend markets, so I made an Intasia for her stall. i love what can be done with timber.

dai sensei
23rd August 2009, 04:55 PM
Pretty amazing Robbie :cool:, showing heaps of imagination as usual :2tsup:

Mulgabill
23rd August 2009, 05:39 PM
Robbie! What can one say!:brava:brava

new_guy90
23rd August 2009, 06:45 PM
:2tsup: love it real art and craftsmanship thanks for showing:2tsup:

Ozkaban
23rd August 2009, 07:58 PM
That's amazing :oo:

Thanks for bringing it over to this forum too, and not just letting the carvers hog it all. Lovely to see such different and interesting forms.

Cheers,
Dave

GoGuppy
23rd August 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Robbie

That's something to aspire to...

Looks spectacular.:D

Hey good luck with the comp, you've got my vote! :2tsup:
Cheers

Ed Reiss
23rd August 2009, 09:11 PM
with those bright, wild colors it certainly is going to stand out in the crowd :o

nice work...good luck in the comp :D

Gil Jones
24th August 2009, 05:25 AM
Hey Robbie,
Very cool "mutant", and I like the colors too.:2tsup:
It rather reminds me of Tanya Rada's work using compressed wood.

artme
24th August 2009, 05:55 AM
Canīt add to what has been said> Cogratulations!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
24th August 2009, 08:57 AM
WOW if you do not win you must show us what on earth did win :2tsup::2tsup:

How long did it take to make?

robbiebgraham
24th August 2009, 07:26 PM
WOW if you do not win you must show us what on earth did win :2tsup::2tsup:

How long did it take to make?
Hi Rum Pig,
In regards to the amount of time spent on this piece. I have been working on it for about three weeks because the vessel was turned green, I wanted to let it dry slowly in a warm room, so it sat for about a week before adding the Jarrah lip.
All together I would have spent 40 hours plus at a guess. Spent heaps of time on drawing and designing and it all adds up:rolleyes:
Robbie

robbiebgraham
24th August 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks all, for the great comments.
Cheers,
Robbie

wheelinround
24th August 2009, 08:37 PM
:)(:bravaThats amazing great work

Rum Pig
25th August 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Rum Pig,
In regards to the amount of time spent on this piece. I have been working on it for about three weeks because the vessel was turned green, I wanted to let it dry slowly in a warm room, so it sat for about a week before adding the Jarrah lip.
All together I would have spent 40 hours plus at a guess. Spent heaps of time on drawing and designing and it all adds up:rolleyes:
Robbie
Thank you. The time you have spent on it really shows and hopefully pays of for you:2tsup::2tsup:

robbiebgraham
27th August 2009, 01:27 PM
Just sold Mutant and it hasn't even left the house yet!!!!! It will still be going into the exhibition tho. Some clients of mine saw the pictures and decided to buy it.:)

Rum Pig
27th August 2009, 01:30 PM
Well done :2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
27th August 2009, 02:56 PM
sweet! Of course, a piece that good was always going to sell well :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

skot
28th August 2009, 08:10 AM
Congratulations Robbie, love to see some more of your work

Ed Reiss
28th August 2009, 12:16 PM
congrats on the mutant sale:2tsup:....beers all around guys, Robbies springin' for em:cool:

robbiebgraham
28th August 2009, 02:42 PM
congrats on the mutant sale:2tsup:....beers all around guys, Robbies springin' for em:cool:
Yep, if you come here.

robbiebgraham
28th August 2009, 02:43 PM
Congratulations Robbie, love to see some more of your work
You could visit my website @ http://www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz/woodturning.htm

skot
28th August 2009, 06:14 PM
I am indeed envious Robbie, you can make a living (I hope) out of working with timber...you work is fantastic AND you you live in a beautiful part of NZ.

My wife & I passed through Taupo back in 2007 but didn't have time to travel around the lake. We came across from Napier and had to deliver a motorhome in Auckland by a due date so couldn't hang around.

robbiebgraham
31st August 2009, 07:32 AM
I am indeed envious Robbie, you can make a living (I hope) out of working with timber...you work is fantastic AND you you live in a beautiful part of NZ.

My wife & I passed through Taupo back in 2007 but didn't have time to travel around the lake. We came across from Napier and had to deliver a motorhome in Auckland by a due date so couldn't hang around.
Hi Skot,
Net time drop in.
Income has been up and down over the last year or so and I've had to get the odd casual job to supplement my income. It seems to be picking up a little lately and had better get the gallery stocked up for the summer.
You're right it is a beautiful place to live and seems to help the creative juices flow.
Cheers,
Robbie

hughie
31st August 2009, 02:32 PM
Taupo sure is a nice spot, bit chilly thou' come winter, used to go shooting just off the Taupo Napier Rd years a go, ice on the car in July, and a lazy wind across the Desert Rd.

robbiebgraham
31st August 2009, 03:20 PM
Taupo sure is a nice spot, bit chilly thou' come winter, used to go shooting just off the Taupo Napier Rd years a go, ice on the car in July, and a lazy wind across the Desert Rd.
And been a particularly cold one this year with a few down to -6c to -8 degrees centigrade in the morning and I think we had 19 frosts in June but fantastic clear days with a max temp of about 9 degrees centigrade. We are having a bit of a warm spell with temp up to 14c. Spring is here tomorrow and can't wait for summer.

Ed Reiss
1st September 2009, 12:10 PM
...how strange it sounds that you guys are still in winter and we just went through a heat wave the last 2 weeks, hmmmmm, maybe a winter home in Oz or NZ, and a summer cottage in the states:cool: