PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning for the Office

Tiger
23rd August 2009, 10:24 PM
My office at work is plain and it occurred to me that I might be able to use some woodturning to brighten it up. Anyone have any ideas for what could be woodturned to help with the office? I've thought of a pen holder but am sure that others can come up with more imaginative and creative options.

I_wanna_Shed
23rd August 2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Tiger,

Have a look at TIT's effort here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=101157)

Nathan.

thefixer
23rd August 2009, 11:50 PM
And every office needs one of TTITs clocks
Check this one out
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=87335

Even better yet. This one just absolutely stunning.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=79811

orraloon
24th August 2009, 12:12 AM
I donated my second turned bowl to the office and it is now used as the place for the lollies. A few years down the track I look at it and have to admit it is not the best turning in the world (at the time I reckoned it was dog's bo//%ks) but the others would notice if it was replaced. It has become part of the fabric of the place. Beware what you place in the office!

artme
24th August 2009, 03:28 AM
Turn some bud vases, they are always welcome.

Rum Pig
24th August 2009, 08:51 AM
I seen some were some large platers turned and hung on the wall like pics they looked really effective

dai sensei
24th August 2009, 12:18 PM
Plenty of good ideas above.

Not sure how big your office is, but plenty of bowl alternatives - from smaller ones for lollies, to larger ones for fruit, then also small platters for keys to large ones for cheese platters.

Jim Carrol also has some nice coffee mugs now.

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2009, 01:30 PM
I donated my second turned bowl to the office and it is now used as the place for the lollies. A few years down the track I look at it and have to admit it is not the best turning in the world (at the time I reckoned it was dog's bo//%ks) but the others would notice if it was replaced. It has become part of the fabric of the place. Beware what you place in the office!
Replace it with something nicer, tell them you took the old one away to give it a 'make-over'.

Gil Jones
24th August 2009, 02:04 PM
How about something to mount on the wall.
Take a look at the work of Doug Fisher.
http://www.douglasjfisher.com/index.html

Texian
24th August 2009, 02:50 PM
Is a "pen holder" the same thing as a pencil cup or pencil caddy? Every desk needs a pencil cup. We even have about four of them in the house.

Rum Pig
24th August 2009, 04:16 PM
That looks like a stubby holder to me full of those rubbish plastic pens:doh::U:D

Texian
24th August 2009, 04:37 PM
What is a "stubby holder"?

masoth
24th August 2009, 04:45 PM
A stubby is a small bottle. A stubby holder is usually made of a rubberised material and used for bottles and cans to reduce the heat transfer from handling - often found at collections of drinkers, and BBQs.

soth

Grumpy John
24th August 2009, 05:01 PM
More info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Bitter) on stubbies :D.

China
24th August 2009, 10:44 PM
Texian you might know them as coozy's

Tiger
24th August 2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas, most of these require very good skills, would like something simpler if possible, then I know it will get done.

Texian
25th August 2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks Soth, Grumpy, and China.

Tiger, Pencil cups are easy. They do not have to be fancy pantsy segmented or whatever. Just bore a hole in a log. These are some I found in the house. We seem to need a lot of pens and pencils.

RETIRED
25th August 2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks Soth, Grumpy, and China.

Tiger, Pencil cups are easy. They do not have to be fancy pantsy segmented or whatever. Just bore a hole in a log. These are some I found in the house. We seem to need a lot of pens and pencils.So, that is where all mine have gone?:D

Rum Pig
25th August 2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with Texian
They do not have to be complicated just half a box:D

Good to see you have found a stubby holder there Texian:2tsup::U:D

NeilS
25th August 2009, 01:31 PM
See Vern's post

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=101157

Neil

texx
25th August 2009, 02:41 PM
a hat ,coat , stand .
i made one for a friend years ago they still use it . .
it was 6' foot tall and chunky with 4 double brass fancy hooks .
the center collum was 4"x4" ( had to do in 2 sections the join after turning )and the base was made up of 2 bits of 8"x1.5" one way and the same the other way to give me a chunk 16"x3" to turn into a disc if ya know what i mean .then i made 4 ball type feet to put under the base . most of the center collum was turned but i left some sections square where the hooks were to mounted
it was made from radiata pine then stained with a mahogany stain came up very nice even though i do say so myself .
maybe i should make another one:roll:

thefixer
25th August 2009, 11:40 PM
The hardest part of turning the pencil cups is getting the internal walls straight. This is how I cheated my way around this problem. I had one of those El Cheapo adjustable hole saw tools from bunnings that I bought years ago. Tried to use it once and discovered it was useless for hole boring and it sat in storage ever since. So I made a few mods to it and reshaped one of the cutters. I now place it on the tailstock and adjust the cutter to the desired width and wind the tailstock in and the cutter hollows the item perfectly straight. If more depth is required I wind it back and slide the tailstock further in and go again. It took about 2 hours to modify this tool and now I use it often to make stubby holders for mates. Oh, almost forgot, I take most of the meat out of the stock first with a forstener bit and trim up with above mentioned tool.

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
26th August 2009, 10:39 AM
Ingenius :2tsup: Some would say it's leaning towards machining rather than turning but what the hell - a simple solution to a problem :2tsup:

Ozkaban
26th August 2009, 11:47 AM
Great solution! See, these cheapo tools do come in useful...

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
26th August 2009, 12:07 PM
recycling at it's best :2tsup:

Texian
26th August 2009, 01:22 PM
Great idea Shorty! Must make a little boring bar for use with Jacobs chuck (in the morning).

Hey Vern, back from "holiday"?