PDA

View Full Version : Cascading Separation Boxes

KenW
24th August 2009, 06:07 PM
Here are the two simple boxes that I turned at Saturn a couple of weeks ago. They are made from Kanooka (red) and Ancient Kanooka (black). They are 210mm high.

This is the third box in my separation series. These boxes I have been developing to use in my demonstrations. The two previous boxes I modified to Weed Pots so I can complete them in an hour and a half demo.

Comments welcome.

Tony Morton
24th August 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Ken
What can I say but wow now that is something I admire your work but the hurdle is too high for me a great piece of work.

Cheers Tony

kdm
24th August 2009, 09:24 PM
We are lucky to have you around - inspirational work. Isn't it wonderful that Kanooka and ancient Kanooka go so well together?!

Are the ends of the cascading rings attached to the bowl/finial ring or is there a gap?

KenW
24th August 2009, 10:36 PM
We are lucky to have you around - inspirational work. Isn't it wonderful that Kanooka and ancient Kanooka go so well together?!

Are the ends of the cascading rings attached to the bowl/finial ring or is there a gap?
The rings are made from one piece of wood and sit under a step on the box body. The lower part of the ring sits against a flat on the bottom decoration disk. The rings are glued at these two points and in the centre.

jefferson
25th August 2009, 12:44 AM
I've finally been able to log in.

The two boxes in question are..... (and I've handled both pieces) almost identical.

As most of us know, WWW turns a little (just a little) above average. But that shouldn't scare any of us off. :rolleyes:

So don't be frightened to tell him if you don't like the boxes! :D

The Box Challenge (I think) was about each of us turning a better box than our last one. I've got a few days left and will try....

I know Ken was a little concerned about the red and black feature. What does everyone else think?

Personally, I like the match. Finials don't always have to be black.

tea lady
25th August 2009, 12:45 AM
:cool: Lovely.

kdm
25th August 2009, 08:25 AM
I know Ken was a little concerned about the red and black feature. What does everyone else think?

I like the two timbers together but I wonder if a black finial would give a better contrast of forms. That is, a continuous black vertical contrasting with the red rings.

Ed Reiss
25th August 2009, 11:47 AM
Ken...you certainly have a talent at making duplicates and both boxes are beautiful.:2tsup:

One thing though, to my old eyes, the base could have been a bit larger in diameter.

Ozkaban
25th August 2009, 11:53 AM
Wow! Looks awesome.

Love the finials - lovely design and lightness (if that makes sense!)

Cheers,
Dave

KenW
25th August 2009, 07:11 PM
I like the two timbers together but I wonder if a black finial would give a better contrast of forms. That is, a continuous black vertical contrasting with the red rings.
Thanks for your comments. I agree with you black finials would look better. I put the red finials on to see if it would tie the lid to the rings, colour wise.
Of all the peolpe that I have shown these boxes too, most prefer the red finials.

Ken...you certainly have a talent at making duplicates and both boxes are beautiful.:2tsup:

One thing though, to my old eyes, the base could have been a bit larger in diameter.
Ed, I am not sure about the base size either. All of the other seperation boxes have a base this size. I will have to make another one with a larger base and black finial.

RETIRED
25th August 2009, 07:46 PM
Ed, I am not sure about the base size either. All of the other seperation boxes have a base this size. I will have to make another one with a larger base and black finial.Tonight? :wink::D

mick61
25th August 2009, 10:23 PM
G`day Ken very nice boxes if I could fault anything it would be the shadows on the wall behind the boxes.LOL
Mick:D

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2009, 11:01 AM
Ken
Not sure if I like them (it's just a personal taste thing) but I certainly appreciate the workmanship, superb. They both flow together well and the contrasting timbers go well together.
Could I ask for another piccy? one from side on so we we can only see the outside of one hemisphere of each ring and not the inside of the otherside (did that make sense?)

Rum Pig
26th August 2009, 04:38 PM
They look the same as mine:U:D:U

Very nice definitely something to inspire too :2tsup::2tsup:

KenW
26th August 2009, 07:10 PM
G`day Ken very nice boxes if I could fault anything it would be the shadows on the wall behind the boxes.LOL
Mick:D
I usualy take my pictures outside. With the wind lately that hasn't been possible. Jefferson paid me a visit and insisted that I post while he was here, so took a quick picture inside with flash. I will set up a couple of better shots outside.

Ken
Not sure if I like them (it's just a personal taste thing) but I certainly appreciate the workmanship, superb. They both flow together well and the contrasting timbers go well together.
Could I ask for another piccy? one from side on so we we can only see the outside of one hemisphere of each ring and not the inside of the otherside (did that make sense?)
Do you mean side on, so you can see how the rings sit?

KenW
26th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Tonight? :wink::D
I would do them overnight, but I don't want to show you up.

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2009, 09:54 PM

Do you mean side on, so you can see how the rings sit?

yep! :D

KenW
27th August 2009, 04:00 PM
Some new photos, taken with my normal set up.

RETIRED
27th August 2009, 05:58 PM
Damn!!!! Was hoping for an aerial shot.:wink::D

tea lady
28th August 2009, 01:12 AM
Damn!!!! Was hoping for an aerial shot.:wink::D:think: they might work quite well to improve TV reception. :D

Or maybe short wave. :wave:

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 11:52 AM
where's the refreshments:?

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2009, 11:53 PM
Ah. That explains it. I thought the perspective was a bit off in the earlier piccies.
The rings are skewed.
As I said before... not me but blvddy nice work and nice execution

KenW
31st August 2009, 10:04 PM
Ah. That explains it. I thought the perspective was a bit off in the earlier piccies.
The rings are skewed.
As I said before... not me but blvddy nice work and nice execution
Thanks.
Í don't always like what I come up with either. I like to keep trying new ideas to see where they will take me.

NeilS
31st August 2009, 11:20 PM
I like to keep trying new ideas to see where they will take me.

Ken - I'm not sure if you have already done something like this, but, if not, it's another idea you might like to play with.

It's a different take on a captured ring (well, actually skewered).

KenW
1st September 2009, 08:53 PM
Ken - I'm not sure if you have already done something like this, but, if not, it's another idea you might like to play with.

It's a different take on a captured ring (well, actually skewered).
Neil, I have already made a similar box, except mine had two rings of different sizes. I called the box vertical separation. Here is a picture.
I started making these boxes to give me something new to demonstrate.
I have just about finished a fourth in the series.

Sawdust Maker
1st September 2009, 09:26 PM
Now that I find interesting:rolleyes: :2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
2nd September 2009, 09:48 AM
Neil, I have already made a similar box, except mine had two rings of different sizes.

Ken, not only have you been there and done that, you done it with finesse!

Neil

Ed Reiss
2nd September 2009, 11:35 AM
excellent :2tsup:

KenW
2nd September 2009, 09:30 PM
Neil, I have already made a similar box, except mine had two rings of different sizes. I called the box vertical separation. Here is a picture.
I started making these boxes to give me something new to demonstrate.
I have just about finished a fourth in the series.

Now that I find interesting:rolleyes: :2tsup::2tsup:

Ken, not only have you been there and done that, you done it with finesse!

Neil
I'm glad you like this box it was made for a present.
I make this design as a weed pot in my demonstrations. I have yet to try the rings on a tall box, like cascading separation. I've done the weedpot demo about six times so I have plenty of spare rings. I will try a tall box when time permits.

jefferson
2nd September 2009, 10:02 PM
I think I've seen all of the boxes in question. Dunno which is my favourite. :) All, I think.

The last one - with 3 rings stacked on top of each other - really piZZed me off. The WWW turned the rings first time, no breakouts. Bugger can turn (and teach) just a little, can't he? :2tsup:

So, Ken, please take snaps of all 4 boxes together for all to admire. I know you're over it, but the troops would like to see them all in one photo. (No aerial shots required!).

And please show where the idea started - and where you took it.

Did you keep a track of all the dimensions for the carrriers? Someone might try to copy. Tips also needed on wood for the rings. What else did I miss? Maybe, the tool for hollowing the vessels..... And instructions on bandsawing the waste.....

Otherwise, I can take a few pics (when I next visit) of the carriers and save you some typing.

WWW indeed. :D

artme
2nd September 2009, 11:20 PM
Fabulous work Ken, as always.:brava:brava:brava

Any chance of some tutorials or illustrations of some of you jigs and special home made chucks?

tea lady
2nd September 2009, 11:37 PM
That's really interesting too. :cool: I would love to see a "profile shot to see how the box actually sits in the top of the rings. :pi:

KenW
3rd September 2009, 08:56 PM
Fabulous work Ken, as always.:brava:brava:brava

Any chance of some tutorials or illustrations of some of you jigs and special home made chucks?
You will have to come to one of my demos when I'm doing these boxes/pots. The drawings are designed as a hand outs and make more sense when I explain them.
How long are you in Brasil?

That's really interesting too. :cool: I would love to see a "profile shot to see how the box actually sits in the top of the rings. :pi:
I gave this box away, I will take a side on view of the weed pot.
The holes in the rings are shaped to just touch the side of the box body, then glued.

Tomislav
6th September 2009, 03:01 PM
I would love to see a sequence of photos as you did the project.. very inspiring.. and I feel a frustrating time coming as I attempt...

KenW
6th September 2009, 04:34 PM
I would love to see a sequence of photos as you did the project.. very inspiring.. and I feel a frustrating time coming as I attempt...
I am trying to find some time to write an article on my seperation boxes.
Setting up the step by step photos on my own is not easy. The wife won't help, it seems I'm only patience with wood.

Tim the Timber Turner
10th September 2009, 10:07 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Ken make this matching pair at Saturn recently.:)

What impressed me was that he could turn these while talking to and interact with all the other people at the event.

I consider Ken to be at the cutting edge of Australiain Woodturning.

He has no peers in this country.

He is also a great guy from the ground up to his neck.:wink:

It's only when you get to the bit above his neck that it all goes weird.:?

Anyone that can dream up designs like that has to be a bit weird in the head.:?

I'm not scared because I've already told him this.

Cheers Ken

Tim

jefferson
14th September 2009, 07:26 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Ken make this matching pair at Saturn recently.:)

What impressed me was that he could turn these while talking to and interact with all the other people at the event.

I consider Ken to be at the cutting edge of Australiain Woodturning.

He has no peers in this country.

He is also a great guy from the ground up to his neck.:wink:

It's only when you get to the bit above his neck that it all goes weird.:?

Anyone that can dream up designs like that has to be a bit weird in the head.:?

I'm not scared because I've already told him this.

Cheers Ken

Tim

Tim, I have a similar opinion on WWW. But I would urge caution. Cheeky comments / jokes comes back ten-fold and more. :rolleyes: Trust me on that.

No peer in the country?

Maybe I'd go a little further than that. But only on the advice of experts. I obviously haven't seen them all OS, but who else could dream up, plan and execute the Carriage?

I think handles the skew better (signs of a production turner) and Vic Wood has the gentle hands of a 20 year old female with a truly radical scraper. (Sorry Ken. :D)

And you are right about Ken talking and turning at the same time. It may be a gift but he jokes, smiles and talks ALL DAMN THE TIME :p. So it comes naturally. :wink::wink:

He cooks pretty well too, as long as you like it HOT. :oo:

But don't give him too many plaudits. He's got to beat the Carriage next year for the National Exhibition / Competition. Now that will be his challenge, not ours. :D:D