PDA

View Full Version : Jet midi lathe duplicator???

JTTHECLOCKMAN
25th August 2009, 03:30 PM
I have a jet 1220 midilathe. I have a project that requires matching spindles. I need 24. I am not a great turner so I do not have enough confidence in me being able to duplicate that many of the same spindles. They will be next to each other so comparisons will be easily detected.

My question is there a duplicator out there that is worthy and can be used with this lathe??? I know what you true turners are thinking but I am not at that point in my turning career. How accurate can a duplicator reproduce??? Thanks and please don't laugh at me. Thanks in advance for the replys.

eisbaer
25th August 2009, 04:31 PM
i know psi sell one only because i too have the jet 1220 and i've been eyeing off their duplicator for doing chess pieces. They have several different ones, compatibility is listed for various models. No idea on quality though. Www.pennstateind.com is the site. Only problem is shipping from usa is expensive.

As for not being able to duplicate by eye, don't worry. That's the reason duplicators are made. :) i've only done one duplication by eye and that took about an hour to do just the second piece, so it's very time consuming to do several. Machinery is there to make things easier. You may as well scoff at someone who drives a car instead of walking. :) of course i have the utmost respect for people who can do it though. :)

derekcohen
25th August 2009, 05:18 PM
The key to duplication of spindles - without a duplicator - is to use a template. That is, marking off the depth of cuts at selected points along the length, and working to these dimensions.

It becomes easier after a while. When I make up a batch of marking knives, for example, the first few take 15 minutes for the body, then it speeds up and I can cut the time to a third after several are done and the hand memory kicks in. (Of course the drilling and blade-making take up a lot -! - more time).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/KnivesforMichaelConnor.jpg

The problem with a duplicator is that it creates a coarse copy that still needs a lot of finishing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

wheelinround
25th August 2009, 08:50 PM
simple jig and tool holder with a pattern to follow and 24 would look like a large set of twins

This was made for my Jet Mini can be adapted for any size lathe

http://www.woodworkforums.com./showthread.php?t=96290

derekcohen
25th August 2009, 09:17 PM
I cannot access this link. The server will not allow it ---????

Can the info can be posted directly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

wheelinround
25th August 2009, 09:19 PM
I cannot access this link. The server will not allow it ---????

Can the info can be posted directly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek you should be able to its a forum thread here it is again in pure form

http://www.woodworkforums.com./showthread.php?t=96290

derekcohen
25th August 2009, 09:31 PM
Still cannot.

This is not a new situation. It occurs with most links such as yours. I get the follow message ...

derekcohen, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I have had enough of this and emailed Neil.

Regards from Perth

Derek

wheelinround
25th August 2009, 09:33 PM
Still cannot.

This is not a new situation. It occurs with most links such as yours. I get the follow message ...

I have had enough of this and emailed Neil.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek go to the ornamental turning section look for Copy Jig hope that works

RETIRED
25th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Derek I copied your post to here. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=103361 It will get the answers you require.

Lumber Bunker
25th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Don't get the duplicator!
your skills will stop improving.

Turn one hundred spindles!!!... the last 20 will match and you will a much better turner!
Derek, is spot on... take a look at these legs... by hand and using a template... you can see the template in these pics.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113501&d=1250128120
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113502&d=1250128120

Groggy
25th August 2009, 09:42 PM
...Of course the drilling and blade-making take up a lot -! - more time...
Derek, why does the drilling take up a lot of time? Do you do it after the turning or before? If you drill the hole first then leave a 10mm waste at that end you can trim it off after the handle is complete, then insert the blade.

joe greiner
25th August 2009, 09:59 PM
See my recent thread on Visual Calipers: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=102822

It's intended for this very purpose. And the pattern drawing doesn't have to be done in CAD. Even freehand drawing can work. The only restriction is that the two copies be exact; two photocopies will work just fine, spliced if necessary to a common baseline. Use spray adhesive to attach them to the support surface. The adjustable angle of mine is only a refinement; see delorie's simpler support system in the link embedded in my thread.

Cheers,
Joe

derekcohen
25th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Groggy

I do the drilling later - the ends are small and fragile with the 1/4" wide hole for the blade assembly. Anyway, the holes do not take that long - I usually run through about 3 or 4 drill bits, gradually increasing the size.

It is the time spent on making the blade that takes time - grinding away HSS fretsaw blade teeth on the belt sander, then first flattening the faces on a disk sander and lapping them on diamond and waterstones, grinding the bevels (I have a jig on my Tormek), and finally finishing with freehand honing of the blade. And then the blade is cut to length and silver soldered to a steel rod.... All this takes time, at least an hour plus per blade when done individually. Everything speeds up by the end of a run.

Regards from Perth

Derek

thefixer
25th August 2009, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't bother with a duplicator. I am by no means an experienced turner, let alone carpenter or cabinet maker. To be honest I am a panel beater by trade. But anything can be achieved with patience and persistance. I made this cradle for my grandson. At the time I had been turning for a couple of years and was not too confident in my ability to pull it off. The spindles are definately not identicle and only about 30mm apart but only a real critic ( ie. A pain in the arks relative that nobody likes anyway) could tell the difference. It took me a full day to turn all 22 spindles and at the end I rejected only 2 as being too far off. So I say give it a go freehand and enjoy the practice. That smug little feeling that you get when you stand back and admire your your work is worth it in the end.

Cheers
Shorty

Lumber Bunker
26th August 2009, 09:20 AM
Nice cot.