PDA

View Full Version : Tallowwood collection

Wizened of Oz
25th August 2009, 10:41 PM
Back in April a tallowwood fell down here and I offered (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=93508&highlight=free+tallowwood) the wood free on the Forum, but no takers.
Maybe people don't think much of it as a turning timber.

We recently replaced a few tallowood posts that I had cut in 1978 (to be exact). I salvaged about 20 small bowl blanks from them and here are some finished samples. Nothing special about the turning, I'm very much a learner, but the tallowood has proved to be a very attractive timber, don't you think?
So the offer of free tallowwood still stands. Anybody around the Sunshine Coast? I'm happy to cut it to managable lengths or even to bowl blanks if anybody wants to collect.

thefixer
26th August 2009, 12:07 AM
I saw your original thread but it is too far for us mexicans to drive up and take advantage of your generous offer. Add a cubic metre of that noxious weed you have in QLD called camphor laurel and it just might be worth the trip.:D

Cheers
Shorty

Claw Hama
26th August 2009, 12:12 AM
Your turning looks ok to me Wiz. Like Shorty I'm too far away, pitty, I realy like working with Tallowwood.

STAR
26th August 2009, 08:31 AM
Brian,

I have just sent a P.M.

Peter

eisbaer
26th August 2009, 11:55 AM
pm sent. :)

Texian
26th August 2009, 01:28 PM
Nice looking wood, but too far away.

hughie
26th August 2009, 02:49 PM
I would like some but its too far away...:C :U

Rum Pig
26th August 2009, 03:59 PM
Nice looking bowls I wish I was over that way to take advantage of your generous offer:2tsup:

dai sensei
26th August 2009, 07:41 PM
Nicebowls Brian :2tsup:.

I already have Tallowood from the Gap cyclone last year so hopefully someone with less timber can become better off. Hopefully my grain will be as good as yours.

robyn2839
26th August 2009, 09:34 PM
i would like some as well any size, i am about 1hr away...........bob

Wizened of Oz
26th August 2009, 10:56 PM
All the tallowwood is spoken for now. Sorry if anybody missed out.

Thanks for the kind words about my learning turning, fellows.
Shorty, I've not long reduced 2 camphor laurel logs to boards and blanks and by the time I'd finished busting my guts on it I almost wished I had given it away.

artme
29th August 2009, 06:01 AM
Nice stuphph Wizened!! Simple but attractive.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup

Remember when all window sills were made from Tallowwood.?

Wizened of Oz
29th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Nice stuphph Wizened!! Simple but attractive.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup

Remember when all window sills were made from Tallowwood.?

Thanks Arthur.
And I'm reminded that at the Australia Day GTG at dai sensei's I got a big lump of Jacaranda courtesy of you. I've turned it into 5 (I think) bowls and one disaster. Will post pics when all finished.

leisureologist
29th August 2009, 04:22 PM
Visited today and met some lovely people. Thanks for the blanks. Monday will be busy turning green and starting to dry. The coffee was great and you make a GOOD cookie!

Rick

robyn2839
29th August 2009, 04:47 PM
Visited today and met some lovely people. Thanks for the blanks. Monday will be busy turning green and starting to dry. The coffee was great and you make a GOOD cookie!

Rick pretty scarey driveway isnt it ,but a beautiful place to be.........bob

leisureologist
29th August 2009, 04:58 PM
Yes! I have a new respect for my little Nissan Pulsar. Also still shaking a bit and looking for nerve medicine - I have some Wolf Blass Cab Sav here somewhere....

Wizened of Oz
30th August 2009, 09:41 PM
pretty scarey driveway isnt it ,but a beautiful place to be.........bob

Of course our driveway is steep. Downhill does not lead to heaven.:U

Rick, thanks for the kind words. Was great to meet you and I will drop in on the Bribie Is. Woodworkers group one day soon.
I'll bring a few turning pieces as an entry ticket.

artme
31st August 2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks Arthur.
And I'm reminded that at the Australia Day GTG at dai sensei's I got a big lump of Jacaranda courtesy of you. I've turned it into 5 (I think) bowls and one disaster. Will post pics when all finished.

Bugger the disaster! Just show us the others.:):):)