PDA

View Full Version : Going Bush

rod1949
26th August 2009, 10:23 AM
Decided I'm having September off and after the wifes b/day I'm going bush to Faye Bluff, Mt Dooling Meteroite site (east of Mt Manning) (this post http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78170) and then do some exploring up the east side of Lake Barlee. Its that magic time of the year... clear cool crisp nights and sky's, clear sunny days, eggs bacon and fried tomatoes wrapped in that thin bread stuff for breakfasts and done on the bbq plate. And then a beer or two at the end of the day... absolute magic.

kekemo
28th August 2009, 03:40 PM
clear cool crisp nights and sky's, clear sunny days, eggs bacon and fried tomatoes wrapped in that thin bread stuff for breakfasts and done on the bbq plate. And then a beer or two at the end of the day... absolute magic.

MMM.....
Well I'm little worried over the menu....LOL.... guess like our woodwork we all have different tastes... I'm more the fresh strawberries & mango... perhaps mushrooms on toast... fresh tea with Brandy in.... then camp oven dinners... 3 course meal in 5 star loaction... yes, under the stars & only the hum or the generator .... NO CARS>>> NO CITY NOISES>>>> unreal & unique...

Been away serveral times now in the past two months... only short trips.. but weather was supurb... each time.... Marrinup near Dwellingup... free site... (unless Ranger comes... been there four trips now since June... arrived home Wednesday from last one...still haven't seen him.... & no notes...) I've found the best mountain bike tracks... still green & learning how to jump logs... but havent fallen off YET .... loving every second & supurb the next... just love getting away... BEST of all less than 60 klms from home... with in 6 klms of Dwellingup... the solitude is fantastic... & the red at the end of the day is glorious... the only drawback is burning all that jarrah.. that some of the guys would give their back teeth for.... Jay 144(Avon winner) owns Dwellingup Mill... he's my sons best mate... so I don't go cold... just pack up the back of cruiser full of fire wood...& I'm set each night... Oh... cooked fresh apple pie... for deserts... was hard deciding to come home... never mind... only home two hours & I was out in the shed again.....LOL....
Was bad week .... 3 years on Monday since I lost my Eddie... so needed to get away for some solitude & remember whats good in my life... its WOOD... CARAVANING... FAMILY & red wines......
Keep well ...keep woodworking... & caravaning... as often as you can ... & share your love & passion with other woodworkers & campers.
Sooner or later the world will become a better place... just hope sooner than later.....!!!!!
Keep well & stay safe, to everyone who reads this thread... Cheers KEKEMO

rod1949
28th August 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi kekemo,

Another great desert treat is - core and slice and apple (I usually take Golden Delicious) then add pineapple slices in between each apple slice and in the core fill with either dates or rasins or saltanas, then wrap in foil (dull side out) and place in the hot coals for 2-3 minutes or thereabouts. After its cooked serve it with a big doulp of thickened cream - its:2tsup:

kekemo
28th August 2009, 05:33 PM
OMGosh Rod... I'd have to go around a second time... and that not at the desert... that would be at the mountain bike track... if I ate with such gusto....

....you must be one skinny bugger.... I can't afford that much cream...(peeved... would like to.. however that does sound decedant... just minus the pineapple.... put that in the pimm's ... save the cream for the Bailey's...(OH not allow that now either.... crap!) Looks like it just open another bottle of red... few more reds... then I'll eat anything ... but find it bloody hard staying on the bike.....LOL...

... enjoy the comfortable chair... the fire places up Marrinup have the swing BBQ plate & camp-oven hook... swing plate comes in handy to hold wine & cheese platter... cook one-pot meals in the camp oven.... feet up on the concret edge... sun's setting & nothing better to do... than think about the next wood working project....
I'm waiting for shellac to dry... making a bread box... starting to build up a few pieces for stall later in the year.... will start on tray tomorrow... already done 3 screens... think I will make 3 coolgardie meat safe style cabinets... pretty sure they will sell well..... as there doesn't seem to be anyone else that makes them....

Keep thinking those decadent thoughts... then turn all that energy on to woodwork...LOL....

Pity you will miss the wood-gathering at Derek's in September... I'm venturing on the dark side... and letting them show me how to use the hand-sander.... might as well instead of it sitting in the darn cupboard... thought about giving it to one of Ed's sons...(decided against it... they haven't let me see my grandchildren in 3 years... so decided they can go to hell... besides they wouldn't be able to use it...none of them into woodwork... so its time I learnt how....) ... just thought, even Ed didn't know how to use it properly... however it was his dad's pride & joy so about time someone gave it the respect due... and mastered it! Well should say try to master it..... think I will need lots of practice...

.... can just see me... taking planer & portable bench... next time I take off caravaning ... mmm wonder if generator will run powertools....LOL....

One little enjoyable past time up there... (camping) was burning off all the off cuts... nearly each piece I threw in fire I remember what I'd been making.....
Decided a few months ago... instead of throwing out off-cuts to bin... put into big cardboard box... it burns so hot.... after you get jarrah fired up... put that on... talk about toastie roastie... burn your backside off...

Well look forward to crossing your path one day....
Just watch out for BIG letters 144(Avon winner this year..Super10's) on car ...+ number plate MHHH.13 (Mandurah Hash House Harriers)
while KEKEMO 144 is on caravan.... cant miss me....
Cheers...Kerry

dennford
29th August 2009, 12:19 AM
Hi kekemo,

Another great desert treat is - core and slice and apple (I usually take Golden Delicious) then add pineapple slices in between each apple slice and in the core fill with either dates or rasins or saltanas, then wrap in foil (dull side out) and place in the hot coals for 2-3 minutes or thereabouts. After its cooked serve it with a big doulp of thickened cream - its:2tsup:

Done that recipe many times in the camp fire but don't forget to pour a spoonful of honey and cinnamon over the dried fruit in the core.

Denn

Buzza
2nd September 2009, 10:55 PM
I would never contemplate leaving home without the WOK. The camp oven and "HeatBeads" are also just as necessary. We save up food rather than money. A couple of huge plastic boxes are stuffed with tinned bean salads, beetroot (of course) and jst about anything you normally eat at home, and special items for special meals. Lots of onions and spuds as well as root veggies. A selection of noodles and pasta, rice and dried legumes. Don;t forget plain and S/R flour. The yabby and crab nets. When you are really roughing it, the WOK can serve as a wash-up bowl as well.Have a great trip, and enjoy yourselves. :)