PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood Box

Tony Morton
27th August 2009, 09:53 PM
It was about two o'clock before I got to the shed today to late to start anything large so a 75mm cube of rose wood became the next box for me to challange I'de tried this idear prior to the challange but it went haywire and the idear was put on hold. The box I think I have seen one made by Ken but with some changes.
WIP1 Blank marked and mounted between centres.
2 & 3bace turned to underside wings
4 turn top of wings
5 parting off bace and lid
6 box and lid seperated
7,8&9 wings cleaned up and box hollowed
10 lid shaped
11 Conkerberry finial in place
I still have to finish sanding as sanding the box with the wings is like sanding a circular saw so its all by hand which in itself is good as it makes you more aware of tool marks and cutting better lines. Will probably get some time to try and finish it tomorrow more photos when sprayed.

Cheers Tony

Enfield Guy
27th August 2009, 10:06 PM
Cooool!!!!!!!

wheelinround
27th August 2009, 10:21 PM
keeping an eye on this well done :2tsup:

TTIT
27th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Looking good Tony :2tsup: - interesting way of attacking it.

tea lady
28th August 2009, 12:54 AM
:oo: Cool! Could be an idea for my bit of Congo Mahogany.:cool::D

kdm
28th August 2009, 08:14 AM
Interesting. I had to go and get a cube to look at to work out how it ends up with 3 wings!

Tony Morton
28th August 2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Keith
Had me puzzled for a while.

cheers Tony

Ozkaban
28th August 2009, 10:07 AM
Cool idea - I really like the turning on a 45 deg angle.

I can't tell from the photos, but are there three points to the wings, or four?

Cheers,
Dave

KenW
28th August 2009, 11:23 AM
Tony, nice to see you having a go at Bias turning. Your box is coming along nicely.
You are correct, I do a similar box in one of my demos. Except I start with a rectangle not a cube. this makes one wing lower than the other. Raises the level of dificulty.
You can make this box starting with any shape blank, even a cylinder.
The finished box will always have one less wing than the blank, hex blank = box with five points.
The type of wood that you use in this type of box/bowl is important, one wing has short grain and breaks easily.
What sort of Rosewood are you using?

tea lady
28th August 2009, 12:01 PM
The type of wood that you use in this type of box/bowl is important, one wing has short grain and breaks easily.
What sort of Rosewood are you using?Would that Congo Mahogany work? Mine hasn't got a crack I don't think.:cool:

Tony Morton
28th August 2009, 12:53 PM
Finished it this morning cleaned up the bottom finished sanding and sprayed 2 coats of Miratone 60%.

Dave as ken said 1 less point than the blank so only three look at a cubedirectly at one corner and only 3 lines come away from it.

Ken its the local rose wood not the scentless variety.

Cheers Tony

kdm
28th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Nicely done Tony, nice box :2tsup:

NeilS
28th August 2009, 02:48 PM
:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
28th August 2009, 04:37 PM
Very nice! I've never seen anything like that, I'm going to have to give it a go :)

:2tsup:

Ozkaban
28th August 2009, 04:48 PM
That's awesome! I still don't quite geddit, but I'll spend a bit of time going over the photos again.

Love it when something a little different comes up :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

KenW
28th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Ken its the local rose wood not the scentless variety.

Cheers Tony
Tony, the finished box looks good.
I don't know anything about your local Rosewood. I love turing Queensland Inland Rosewood, is your local variety as hard?

wheelinround
28th August 2009, 06:39 PM
Tony great design and well turned:2tsup: I love using NSW Rosewood scented smells great. can even smell it after its finished.

If its dry very powdery but usually once the tp layer is gone soft wet/moist turning.

Greenie for your efforts

mick61
28th August 2009, 07:13 PM
Great box Tony:2tsup:.
Mick:D

Sawdust Maker
28th August 2009, 09:00 PM
I came in late
what a great box and looks superb

like the bias turning idea - will have to give it a try

Tony Morton
28th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the favorable comments I certainly enjoyed making it, with thirty years of turning a extensive collection of turning books and magasines plus several Turnfests my head is filled with ideas this challange has encouraged me to to something.
Ken I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon first with pencil and paper then with blocks trying to work out how you do the box on the bias using a rectangular block.

Cheers Tony

KenW
28th August 2009, 09:48 PM
Ken I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon first with pencil and paper then with blocks trying to work out how you do the box on the bias using a rectangular block.

Cheers Tony
Tony, you start exactly the same way as a cube. Start with a piece of wood say 75mm square by about 120mm long Flatten two diagonaly opposite corners, place between centers and turn a chuck spigot on one end. This will make a deeper bowl than the one you just turned. When you use a rectangular block this way one point ends up a lot lower. This makes the bowl harder to turn as you can't see the short point, it gets lost in the ghost of the long points. The finished piece looks better as the three points end up different heights.

Tony Morton
28th August 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Ken I will give it some thought and give it a try.

Cheers Tony

Enfield Guy
28th August 2009, 10:41 PM
WOW!!:oo: