PDA

View Full Version : WIP - a "joint" effort with the Escoulon chuck

Calm
27th August 2009, 10:45 PM
I bought the Vicmarc Esc. chuck down at Jim Carroll's yesterday.

Calm and I (well, mostly David) put it on the Stubby to turn some Apple for practice.

At first, the chuck was definitely running out of centre. But David stripped the beast down and found a slither of metal. Once removed, no problems. :2tsup: This is the first problem I've had with any of my Vic chucks.

Anyway, David got stuck into it. It's the first time I've seen off-centre turning and it looks scary.

All I really wanted was an oval box, but Calm couldn't help himself once he got started.

Sorry, no photos of the final product, but here he is at work:

Ad de Crom
28th August 2009, 03:56 AM
David, quite an experience and a bit scary too.
Stu in Tokyo put a time ago a video on youtube of this off center turning with a esc. chuck.
Ad

artme
29th August 2009, 05:53 AM
So, can we expect plenty of wonky pieces in the near future?:D

Strange thing - an eccentric chuck that runs off centre!

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2009, 09:46 AM
especially liked the overuse of safety equipment :rolleyes:

TTIT
29th August 2009, 10:34 AM
especially liked the overuse of safety equipment :rolleyes:Yup - especially the long sleeves :~ - wouldn't happen here :;:U

tea lady
29th August 2009, 11:05 AM
Yup - especially the long sleeves :~ - wouldn't happen here :;:UThat's cos its cold.:rolleyes: Also stops the flying shaving hurting your arm. Cos Calm turns with such power!:oo::D

So you guys actually making anything besides a pile of empties?:D

jefferson
29th August 2009, 04:30 PM
That's cos its cold.:rolleyes: Also stops the flying shaving hurting your arm. Cos Calm turns with such power!:oo::D

So you guys actually making anything besides a pile of empties?:D

Cold? We left Melbourne last evening, air temp. at 19 degrees. By the time we got to Ballarat it was 9. Say no more, it's a cold hole.

What did we make for the 3 or 4 days?..... One solitary pen. :oo:

Jim Carroll
29th August 2009, 04:55 PM
Cold? We left Melbourne last evening, air temp. at 19 degrees. By the time we got to Ballarat it was 9. Say no more, it's a cold hole.

What did we make for the 3 or 4 days?..... One solitary pen. :oo:

One pen, not bad for 2 blokes and a couple of slabs of stubbies:D

Calm
29th August 2009, 06:36 PM
......... What did we make for the 3 or 4 days?..... One solitary pen. :oo:

It was a bit cold, and Jeff has finally gone home to Anne so ballarat can relax again.

Yep we were a bit busy doing nothin, 3 1/2 days, 1000 km's, but did get the chance to do some real turning ......... you know that spindle work. sorry no photos.

As for the off centre stuff i'm over it already - back tu the bowls now i'm in peace again.:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

tea lady
29th August 2009, 07:37 PM
ONE PEN? :doh::rolleyes:

Calm
29th August 2009, 09:02 PM
ONE PEN? :doh::rolleyes:

Thats spindle turning isnt it ---- between centres :?:?

Cheers

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 10:58 PM
So, can we expect plenty of wonky pieces in the near future?:D

Strange thing - an eccentric chuck that runs off centre!

the answer to that would be to get a lathe that runs off center, then the chuck would run true :doh:

Calm
30th August 2009, 08:46 AM
the answer to that would be to get a lathe that runs off center, then the chuck would run true

Question for Ed this one was made by Vicmark do you know if Technatool make a similar one:q:q:q:p:p:D:D:doh:(wobbly chuck)

cheers

Ed Reiss
30th August 2009, 01:01 PM
I know where you can get three of 'em really cheap David:;:roll: