PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

mick61
28th August 2009, 07:40 PM
G`day does anyone know if Magnolia is any good for turning?
Mick:D

glenn k
28th August 2009, 07:55 PM
Don't know but it is soft with out much feature.

TTIT
28th August 2009, 08:16 PM
I often see the Yanks turning 'Magnolia' but I don't know if it's the same species you'd find in sunny Melbourne :U

glenn k
28th August 2009, 08:52 PM
I often see the Yanks turning 'Magnolia' but I don't know if it's the same species you'd find in sunny Melbourne :U

That's where they come from TTIT well they also come from asia and central and south America

Ad de Crom
28th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Mick, a few month ago I turned a magnolia lidded box.(see pic)
Got this tree from my neighbors. I find it pretty wood for my turnings.
Ad

mick61
28th August 2009, 09:48 PM
G`day that looks ok Ad. I think I will be pruning the magnolia.
Mick:D

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 12:20 PM
Mick, a few month ago I turned a magnolia lidded box.(see pic)
Got this tree from my neighbors. I find it pretty wood for my turnings.
Ad

Ad...where did you find figured magnolia, every chunk I ever did was snow white.:o

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 03:39 AM
Mick,
Magnolia is a fine species to turn (at least ours around here).
I like to turn it green, or nearly so, and have not tried it dry, yet.
Here is a pic of a Spalted Magnolia hollow form, with an Oak burl collar.<o></o>
No troubles with it cracking or warping too much either.
<o></o>The blue is pulverized Turquoise.
The one with the red band is from a fresh/green chunk of Magnolia.
Interesting color difference. Both are still fun to turn.
Have fun...

Ad de Crom
30th August 2009, 03:46 AM
Mick,ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
Magnolia is a fine species to turn (at least ours around here). I like to turn it green, or nearly so, and have not tried it dry, yet.<O:p></O:p>
Here is a pic of a Magnolia hollow form, with an Oak burl collar.<O:p></O:p>
No troubles with it cracking or warping too much either. <O:p></O:p>
The blue is pulverized Turquoise.<O:p></O:p>
Have fun...
Gil, look different than my magnolia lidded box.
Turned three roughly turned pieces wet, one survived, the others cracked that badly that I put them into the woodstock for the fireplace.
Ad

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi Ad,
I reckon there are different kinds of Magnolia all around this old rock. It does make life interesting at times when recommending a spices to turn, and then discovering that the wood with the same name is a bit (or a lot) different 10,000-miles away. I guess the best wood is "free" wood, no matter where you find it.
Cheers,

ps...your 'quote' of my post sure does look different than what I posted (???)

RETIRED
30th August 2009, 09:33 AM
ps...your 'quote' of my post sure does look different than what I posted (???) Gil, that is because you cut and pasted from Word. If you cut and paste use a normal text program like Notepad.

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Ian, I generally do compose in Word to catch spelling and grammar troubles caused by excessive birthdays. I'll test it in Notepad and see what happens as I have never before seen all of those little "faces" and such before.
Cheers,
=====================
edit: Well, that worked okay...

RETIRED
30th August 2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Ian, I generally do compose in Word to catch spelling and grammar troubles caused by excessive birthdays. I'll test it in Notepad and see what happens as I have never before seen all of those little "faces" and such before.
Cheers,
=====================
edit: Well, that worked okay...Normally I edit them out but was busy this morning.:D

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 02:01 PM
Well, I was not aware that I was causing all those little troubles in the past,
I shall do better in future.
Just compose in Word, drop it in Notepad, and drag it to the forum...one extra step.
My version of Notepad does not correct spelling, does yours?

munruben
30th August 2009, 02:58 PM
My version of Notepad does not correct spelling, does yours?Notepad that comes with Windows does not have a spell checker as such but you Can. use this great little program called "Tiny Spell" to check your spelling in Notepad its free and it is quite helpful. It checks your spelling as you type and suggests other spelling options.It also checks your spelling on here while you are typing. You can download it HERE (http://tinyspell.m6.net/)

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks, John, it is an interesting little program.:)

joe greiner
30th August 2009, 11:03 PM
One advantage of NotePad vs Word, etc., is minimizing bells and whistles; also file size.

For spell checking, I just use the upload editor window before submitting. No extra steps that way. BTW, turn OFF WordWrap before submitting, and let the upload window justify. Add bells and whistles in the window if needed, correcting spling errores if you like. (or not).

Also, a blank line adds only two bytes (CR/LF) to the file size, and improves readability.

Ad's quote matched your original in my viewer (Firefox), FWIW.

Cheers,
Joe

glenn k
30th August 2009, 11:52 PM
Does openoffice add crap as well? This is posted from OpenOffice free software that works on many systems.

rodent
31st August 2009, 03:50 PM
Magnolia wonderful stuff to turn easy on the tools and fine detail .

Hickory
2nd September 2009, 11:10 AM
Grand-a-flora (not spelled right) or Southern Magnolia (the kind in the Southern Antibellum ho,es of the deep South in the old movies with Scarley O'hara and such) is what is in the front yard, Beautiful tree and the limbs (fallen by ice storm) are interesting woods with two distinct colors between the heart and sap. Star Magnolia is in my back yard and the ice-storm limbs are also two distinct colors although mot as previlent and an ease to turn. But then I like to turn DRY wet turners may experience difficulty...