PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 27 July 04

Ralph Jones
27th July 2004, 09:39 PM
Good Evening Friends,
What does the abreviation Btu; mean to you?

What is it used for and how is it used?

Respectfully, :)

E. maculata
27th July 2004, 09:56 PM
Good everning Ralph, either I'm getting smarter or you've dumbed down the Quiz questions to suit the likes of me......British Trade Union, no no no British Thermal Unit .Which I think is a larger measurement of calorific value.

Bruce C.

bitingmidge
27th July 2004, 10:42 PM
:eek:

I thought it was code for Bloody Top Ute!

Which in your speak Ralph would translate to "I like your Pickup"

Of course here, you are more likely to score a pickup while cruising in your ute!

:D :D :D

P

hexbaz
27th July 2004, 10:44 PM
One BTU (British Thermal Unit, as correctly identified above) is the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit at one atmosphere pressure; equivalent to 251.997 calories.

Compare with one calorie, which the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree centigrade at atmospheric pressure. As a matter of vague interest the Calorie (big C) used to describe food intake is actually a kilocalorie (kcal), which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree at one atmosphere pressure.

As you will see (pound of water, Fahrenheit), BTU is an old measurement. We (Brits) used to be charged for gas (home fuel, not petrol) this way. Actually, we were charged per THERM (which is 100,000 BTUs). Now they convert the gas volumes used to kilowatt-hours instead, making the charge comparable to electricity. I have not seen BTU (or BThU) used for quite a while now.

So there you go!

Driver
27th July 2004, 10:55 PM
What does the abreviation Btu; mean to you?

I thought it was a typo, but. :confused:

ozwinner
28th July 2004, 07:35 PM
One BTU (British Thermal Unit, as correctly identified above) is the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit at one atmosphere pressure; equivalent to 251.997 calories.

Compare with one calorie, which the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree centigrade at atmospheric pressure. As a matter of vague interest the Calorie (big C) used to describe food intake is actually a kilocalorie (kcal), which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree at one atmosphere pressure.

As you will see (pound of water, Fahrenheit), BTU is an old measurement. We (Brits) used to be charged for gas (home fuel, not petrol) this way. Actually, we were charged per THERM (which is 100,000 BTUs). Now they convert the gas volumes used to kilowatt-hours instead, making the charge comparable to electricity. I have not seen BTU (or BThU) used for quite a while now.

So there you go!
:p :p Nerd alert. :p :p

Al :D

Ivan in Oz
28th July 2004, 07:46 PM
:eek:

I thought it was code for Bloody Top Ute!

Which in your speak Ralph would translate to "I like your Pickup"

Of course here, you are more likely to score a pickup while cruising in your ute!

:D :D :D

P

BM,
You're being silly!

BTU
Brisvagas Timber Users....Obviously :)

Bloody Top Ute..C'mon :p

Count

hexbaz
28th July 2004, 08:04 PM
:p :p Nerd alert. :p :p

Al :D
:D ... I wondered how long it would take for someone (with a foil hat on) to make that remark. Whilst it's true that we did once pay for gas in Therms, the rest of the information (which was requested by the first post) is easily obtainable from the web, and I pasted the answer. Maybe you would like to define nerd?

... Or maybe take this test (http://www.armory.com/tests/nerd.html) - I bet people in foil hats would score higher than me. :rolleyes:

ozwinner
28th July 2004, 08:14 PM
I got 16% nerd.

Is that good?

Al

DavidG
28th July 2004, 08:25 PM
Oh s..t!
56% of me is a Nerd.
41% of me is a Weird
That means the remaining 3% is the pr..k every one calls me.
----------

Here is the result of your Nerd Purity Test.
You answered "yes" to 56 of 100 questions, making you 44.0% nerd pure (56.0% nerd corrupt); that is, you are 44.0% pure in the nerd domain (you have 56.0% nerd in you).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 41%, based on a comparison of your test results with 378675 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 73.7%.
The first submission for this test was received June 17, 1994.

hexbaz
28th July 2004, 08:32 PM
Well I am worryingly weird, according to the test. 25% nerd though - so ozwinner is right. I should stay away from answering questions related to calorific values. :o

By the way, what has BTU got to do with woodwork - unless you aim to burn your handiwork?

bitingmidge
28th July 2004, 09:35 PM
BM,
You're being silly!

Big effort for a bloke that's only 6% nerd with a wierdness factor of a meer 25% don't you think.

Maybe the silliness factor is a different calculation!

P

Ralph Jones
28th July 2004, 10:09 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Nerd or not, hexbaz has the correct answer, maybe some of the rest of us should be a little more nerdy and look up the answer as he did. Then copy and paste it so others who did not know the answer could learn.

Good job HEXBAZ.

journeyman Mick
28th July 2004, 11:39 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Nerd or not, hexbaz has the correct answer, maybe some of the rest of us should be a little more nerdy and look up the answer as he did. Then copy and paste it so others who did not know the answer could learn.

Good job HEXBAZ.

Of course that's assuming that anybody actually wants/needs to learn this. I'm pretty sure we don't use BTU's in Australia, more likely Kilojoules.

Metric Mick

GregLee
30th July 2004, 12:26 AM
Of course that's assuming that anybody actually wants/needs to learn this. I'm pretty sure we don't use BTU's in Australia, more likely Kilojoules.

Metric Mick

Up until quite recently BTU output of computer equipment was still used to help to determine airconditioning requirements for computer rooms.