PDA

View Full Version : ye olde sewing table

scubabob
29th August 2009, 04:25 PM
i have just stumbled across an old Singer treadle sewing machine which i have dated to being manufactured in 1888, which i purchased for SWMBO. she loves it, so i have many brownie points now for some time. It is complete, even has the tools and stuff.

The timber is mostly in good nick but as you can see there are a few 'rings' on the top and the table has lost its lustre, there's not much of a sheen left. i dont want to sand it back and chuck some glossy stuff on it, it should be done properly. i think the timber is solid too, not just veneered or ply

where do i start and what do i use?

Cicatrix
29th August 2009, 05:10 PM
Hmm... someone been storing pot plants on it sometime in the past?

I think you will have trouble getting out those stains. Even with deep sanding they will most likely still be visable. Others will disagree, but my view is that its part of its history and a new finish shouldnt try and hide them.

Lignin
29th August 2009, 06:20 PM
Try metho and 0000 steel wool.
If it is a shellac finish, you'll be able to remove the rings quite easily, and a little good quality wax will restore the sheen.

China
29th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Scubabob I suggest you join here http://needlebar.org/bb2/index.php it is a wealth of information regarding old sewing machines

scubabob
30th August 2009, 11:53 AM
thanks all :)

zitan
1st September 2009, 08:51 PM
Singer sewing machines have that gadget factor to them don't they? You've found a beauty. Is it a US one?

My first restoration project was a 6-drawer 1935 UK Singer cabinet in highly figured walnut veneer. The finish for all these machines is shellac. A complete restoration of one of these isn't a job to be taken lightly - it actually took me the best part of a year to complete in high gloss french polish since there are so many surfaces to do. For something of 1880s vintage I'd start with a sympathetic restoration - remove the stains with alcohol and toothbrush as much as you can, then apply a light shellac polish to seal it, cut back the gloss level then wax to match the rest of the cabinet.

The finish on mine was virtually all gone anyway, so I had no choice but to remove what was left of it and do it all again. For colouring I used a wash coat of baker's ammonia powder dissolved in water, oiled lightly with BLO, then build and grain fill with orange shellac. For the carved detail a sable brush worked best. This gave a very rich warm natural walnut brown similar to the woodgrain bar things at the top of each post in this forum .