PDA

View Full Version : Rant- Charity rides

Carry Pine
29th August 2009, 04:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of charity rides and those who go on them get my vote (and sometimes my money).

But as a mug cyclist who has now progressed to looking around to have a go at an organised ride over 60kms I'm a bit disappointed with the organisers who are asking for a guarantee of $X which must be raised. It has come to the point where you just don't pay your $90 ( which is a fair amount anyway just to ride) but one local charity expects $700 and if this is your first time at Sydney to Wollongong I was told today they want $200 raised.

I have worked with and encouraged kids to go on these rides and they are one group who will be forced out. I guess if i really believed in the charity, I could scrape up $700. I know there are rides around that do not have these stipulations but i think it is a sad story when the trend has started.

End of rant!!!!!!!

Carry Pine

Luddite
29th August 2009, 08:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of charity rides and those who go on them get my vote (and sometimes my money).

But as a mug cyclist who has now progressed to looking around to have a go at an organised ride over 60kms I'm a bit disappointed with the organisers who are asking for a guarantee of which must be raised. It has come to the point where you just don't pay your $90 ( which is a fair amount anyway just to ride) but one local charity expects $700 and if this is your first time at Sydney to Wollongong I was told today they want $200 raised.

I have worked with and encouraged kids to go on these rides and they are one group who will be forced out. I guess if i really believed in the charity, I could scrape up $700. I know there are rides around that do not have these stipulations but i think it is a sad story when the trend has started.

End of rant!!!!!!!

Carry Pine

Carry,

I think you must be looking in the wrong place, mate. You could participate in a long ride almost every week, Loop the Lake being one of the best I have riden.

Are you a member of a cycling club? They should give you heaps of info, as the the Cycling NSW electronic newsletter.

Cheers,

Anthony

Foo
30th August 2009, 08:03 PM
Maybe you could organize your own charity rides for a set number of charities through out the year.:bike3:You would need to register it with some government body i think.:think: