PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Sycamore HF, with Holly Lid/Finial

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 04:29 AM
Spalted Sycamore Hollow Form.
One coat lacquer sealer, one coat Watco natural oil, buffed, and waxed.
The removable lid is Holly, finished only with carnauba wax.
Turning the lid/finial without tailstock support was interesting; the pic shows it at 2,000rpm just prior to parting off with a razor blade.
6.5” wide x 4.125” hi, hole is 1.8125” dia,
[16.5 cm wide x 10.5 cm hi, hole is 4.6 cm dia].
Comments/Critiques welcome.:)

hughie
30th August 2009, 09:10 AM
Turning the lid/finial without tailstock support was interesting; the pic shows it at 2,000rpm just prior to parting off with a razor blade.

Ah living dangerously in retirement. :U...........

Nice one Gil :2tsup:

artme
30th August 2009, 09:19 AM
:oo:
Hughie said it all! Great job.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
30th August 2009, 10:43 AM
I like the shape of the box/bowl hollow form, and the timber is wonderful...

I'm surprised the lid stayed on the lathe long enough for you to finish it.

Razor blade?????? Have you counted your fingers this morning?

:D

Ed Reiss
30th August 2009, 01:11 PM
good lookin' turning Gil...nice contrast between the sycamore and holly :2tsup:

efgee88
30th August 2009, 01:20 PM
Gil,
Nice one!

what Laquer sealer do you use?

Cheers,

FrankG

Gil Jones
30th August 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi y'all...thanks for the comments.
There was hardly any danger involved, just a very slight nudge with the single edge razor blade to cut through the 1mm tip end, and it dropped into my hand. Still have my usual 10-fingers remaining.
The term 'lacquer sealer' may be misleading. It was not a sanding sealer, but just a spray can of Minwax clear lacquer to seal the surface a bit. Then polished with 0000-steel-wool, and carnauba wax burnished in. Eliza, I sand and finish each part of the lid as I turn it, so by the time I get to the tiny end of the finial, everything else is complete and if it happens to break off I can fix up the last 5mm of the tip with no problem.

NeilS
30th August 2009, 03:37 PM
Comments/Critiques welcome.

Shape....:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2009, 04:25 PM
Nice! :)

Gil Jones
31st August 2009, 04:19 AM
Grazie....

Ad de Crom
31st August 2009, 07:18 AM
Gil, saw this wonderful piece of work already on MyFamily.
Was a member of Myfamily till mid 2005, but still peek in daily to see if there is something nice to see.
I love the shape, maybe an more dark wood for the lid and finial??
Anyway you did a great job.
Ad

Gil Jones
31st August 2009, 09:49 AM
Dankzegging, Ad, I did consider using a black ink, and lacquer on the lid/finial, but decided not to. The lid just pops off, so I reckon turning another, and coloring it black is a thought.

==============================================
'edit': Dave and Rum Pig, thank you for the kind words.

Ozkaban
31st August 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi y'all...thanks for the comments.
There was hardly any danger involved, just a very slight nudge with the single edge razor blade to cut through the 1mm tip end, and it dropped into my hand. Still have my usual 10-fingers remaining.
The term 'lacquer sealer' may be misleading. It was not a sanding sealer, but just a spray can of Minwax clear lacquer to seal the surface a bit. Then polished with 0000-steel-wool, and carnauba wax burnished in. Eliza, I sand and finish each part of the lid as I turn it, so by the time I get to the tiny end of the finial, everything else is complete and if it happens to break off I can fix up the last 5mm of the tip with no problem.

Looks great, and well done on the finial. I like the tecnique - I will have to try that one.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
31st August 2009, 11:24 AM
Very nice I really like that piece:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
31st August 2009, 09:47 PM
Very nice one, Gil. And an interesting technique with the razor blade.

Cheers,
Joe

jefferson
1st September 2009, 11:01 AM
Gil, now you've confused me! (Nice job BTW :2tsup:)

I've only seen one lid (with the finial included, like yours) turned "live". Ken W. did one down at the Sharpening weekend some months back.

Ken turned the lid and finial with tail-stock support until the very end. He then parted the lid off, made a crush-chuck and sanded the base.

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat!

Gil Jones
1st September 2009, 03:46 PM
Jeff, just look at the 50mm (2") diameter cylinder of Holly in the pic, the other end is clamped firmly in a SN2 chuck. Now just turn the lower form of the lid, cut the tenon, carefully zero in on the diameter to fit the opening in the hollow form by test fitting as you go (cause there is nothing in your way to do the test fits). Once it fits properly, hollow out the inside of the lid, sand it and the outer part (not the tenon), and then finish it as you wish (I used carnauba wax). Now just continue on turning the upper outside of the lid, and finish that. Then turn the finial to about 2/3s of the way to the tip, and finish that. Now very carefully narrow the finial taper, sanding and finishing as you go, and it either breaks off or it does not, and you touch it with a sharp skew (or as I did with a razor blade). It is pretty simple when done in steps because there is plenty of wood remaining until you reach the upper 1/3 of the finial top.
No more confusion…yes? :)
Thanks for your nice comment.

jefferson
1st September 2009, 04:49 PM
Gil,

thanks for spending the time to explain it to me. :2tsup: Like so many others on the forum, help and advice always arrives (and quickly).

The difference (I think) between your box and Ken W's is that Ken wanted the grain to align, so he turned the top and finial from the tail-stock end, then parted.

For yours, as it was different wood, you worked the other way around. Which, I think, allowed you to check the lid fit easily.

I hope I've got that right! :B

Gil Jones
2nd September 2009, 05:46 AM
Hi Jeff, you got it right.
It was fairly easy to turn the lid/finial, and was the first time I used carnauba wax too. As hard as that wax is, I was wondering if it would ding up the surface of the Holly, but it did fine melting in from the friction and smoothed out with a paper towel. Happy to be of any help to you. :)

Sawdust Maker
2nd September 2009, 10:04 AM
Extremely nice box and lid :2tsup:

Gil Jones
2nd September 2009, 04:17 PM
Thank you, Nick.